Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't boy and girl groups as popular in the U.S. as they are in the UK?

Default Why aren't boy and girl groups as popular in the U.S. as they are in the UK?

In the U.S., the only boy group that is popular these days is One Direction, and the only girl group that is popular is Fifth Harmony. It seems as though boy and girl groups are not as popular here in the United States as they are in the United Kingdom and in Europe. In the UK, boy and girl groups are very popular, there are tons of them. Another British girl group I know of is Little Mix, who, like One Direction, came from the UK version of The X Factor. Speaking of The X Factor, it may also seems that Americans like solo singers better than groups, seeming that the U.S. version of The X Factor, which does groups in addition to solo singers, is off the air, whereas The Voice, which looks for only a single voice, one voice, and does only solo singers, is still on the air. I didn't watch either show, but I like boy and girl groups. I like One Direction, Fifth Harmony, and Little Mix, and I'd like to know: Why aren't boy and girl groups as popular in the U.S. as they are in the UK?
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 10-10-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

I think it's more just a sign of the times rather then geography. The days of Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Spice Girls, Human Nature etc... are past.

I've heard of One Direction, never heard of the female group you mentioned tho.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Because europe moved on.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There are The Vamps and 5 Seconds to Summer as well as 1D! They're growing more popular. I'm not a boyband fan but I love me some Little Mix.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Spice Girls, over a decade ago, were probably the last Girl Group that was popular in the US. Boy Groups seem to do better.

Pre-teens, teens & even horny old ladies like to have crushes on these guys.

However, for solo pop, female artists always seem more popular.

I can't explain it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    The Spice Girls, over a decade ago, were probably the last Girl Group that was popular in the US.
    Destiny's Child was very popular from about 1998 until 2005 or so. The Pussycat Dolls were also very popular for a very brief time in 2008.

Boy bands were always more successful though. No girl group, except perhaps the Spice Girls, ever came close to reaching the sheer magnitude of fame that Nsync or Backstreet Boys reached in the late 90s/early 2000s.

That time passed for us. Around the mid 2000s America's love affair with the boyband seemingly died. It does seem to be experiencing a minor resurgence right now though. One Direction, Five Seconds of Summer, and The Vamps are all pretty popular here right now.

Solo women have pretty much dominated the American music landscape for the last six years or so though. A couple years ago, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, and more recently, Demi Lovato, Megan Trainor, Fifth Harmony, and Ellie Goulding absolutely dominated the waves here.

Right at the moment it seems to be a pretty random mix though.
    Last edited by DMKA; 10-11-2015 at 06:07 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    The Spice Girls, over a decade ago, were probably the last Girl Group that was popular in the US.
    Destiny's Child was very popular from about 1998 until 2005 or so. The Pussycat Dolls were also very popular for a very brief time in 2008.

Boy bands were always more successful though. No girl group, except perhaps the Spice Girls, ever came close to reaching the sheer magnitude of fame that Nsync or Backstreet Boys reached in the late 90s/early 2000s.

That time passed for us. Around the mid 2000s America's love affair with the boyband seemingly died. It does seem to be experiencing a minor resurgence right now though. One Direction, Five Seconds of Summer, and The Vamps are all pretty popular here right now.

Solo women have pretty much dominated the American music landscape for the last six years or so though. A couple years ago, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Ke$ha, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, and more recently, Demi Lovato, Megan Trainor, Fifth Harmony, and Ellie Goulding absolutely dominated the waves here.

I forgot about Beyonce & Friends (Bey's suggested name for the group). Didn't the Pussycat Dolls just have one hit?

Even before those on your list came around, solo females were chart toppers, like Britney Spears, Xtina Aguilera, Mandy Moore, & Pink.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because they all suck.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    Because they all suck.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I have to be honest, I don't really follow ____ bands at all. I'm more of a solo artist type person. I find boybands too One Dimensional (get it? Get it?) and cliche, while girl bands can be just as bad.

I'm fairly ambivalent, truth be told.

Blog Entries

Groups come in waves here. They were bigger in the 90's and early 2000's. It seems that the 90's are somewhat making a comeback so who knows, maybe we'll see some more soon. Not that I care, I'm not a fan of pop anyway :P. Also I hear 1D could be breaking up, or just taking a break. You could say....

that they're going in......

multiple directions

Bad jokes aside...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't think that boy and girl groups are that popular in the UK either. Yes there are a few but I could count them all on one hand. And that's a hand that was missing a thumb.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post

Fifth Harmony is actually a Girl group!

They still exist. They just aren't top of the charts, they're on the charts, just not top. Solo artists or a duet type thing seem to do better now.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Because europe moved on.
    Did you even read the post? He is stating that in the U.S. boy and girl bands aren't that popular.

I know you love to bash on U.S. Every chance you get but at least read and know what you're talking about.

Anyway I dont think they're popular anywhere, but South Korea and maybe some other pockets of Asia.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If the music is good, I don't mind who sings it. However, I will say that I find Little Mix stuff to be notably better than the vast majority of the boy stuff.

I can dislike an artist while still enjoying their music. In fact, I'll start a topic on that.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!