View Poll Results: In your opinion, who's winning late night?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stephen Colbert

4 44.44%
  • Jimmy Kimmel

0 0%
  • Jimmy Fallon

1 11.11%
  • Conan O'Brien

0 0%
  • Trevor Noah

1 11.11%
  • Larry Wilmore

0 0%
  • Chris Hardwick

0 0%
  • James Corden

1 11.11%
  • Seth Meyers

0 0%
  • Andy Cohen

0 0%
  • Whatever's on my DVR/Streaming

0 0%
  • I work nights

1 11.11%
  • Sleep

1 11.11%

Thread: Who's winning late night?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Who's winning late night?

Which late night show is winning late night (in your opinion)?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think Fallon still brings in the best ratings, but Colbert is the best host with the best show. Just go watch Monday's show for a great example of the range of emotions Colbert can invoke. On the same show he had:

• A tribute to France by opening with their national anthem.
    • Col. Jack Jacobs explaining why we haven't destroyed ISIS.
    • An antagonistic (but entertaining and hilarious) interview with Bill Maher about a range of topics.
    • Medal of Honor Recipient Captain Florent Groberg talking about stopping suicide bombers in Afghanistan.
    • Shephard Fairey talking about art. How many late night shows are having Shephard freaking Fairey on them?
    • A 'performance' by the Acro-Cats, and yes that is exactly what you think it is and yes it was an epic disaster but hilarious because Stephen made it hilarious.

Colbert's show is exactly like his previous show except he's nicer and it's longer. For those two reasons it can't be as snappy as the Colbert Report, but in terms of late night TV it's evolving the genre in ways that it should rather than following the standard 'monologue, some skit, celebrity guest #1, celebrity guest #2, musical guest'. Yes he does do all those things but he does a lot more and I haven't seen a show yet that followed that exact formula (compared to 90% of Kimmel or Fallon's shows which follow that exact formula).

He'll have the celebrities and those interviews are what they are, but a lot of the times he'll also do a skit with them and those can be some of his best stuff. Go watch the Daniel Craig rental car skit or the Tom Hanks on a blanket skit which are my favorites. He'll also have people you don't expect to see on these types of shows, like CEOs. He's had Elon Musk, Tim Cook, CEOs of Netflix, Uber, etc. and though I'm sure there are some advertising dollars changing hands here he doesn't just ask them fluff questions. He's also had most of the major presidential candidates on with Ben Carson being the only frontrunner yet to make it. Bush, Clinton, Sanders, even Trump have all been on and although the Clinton interview was way too soft, the others were great and his Joe Biden interview was fantastic.

It's his mix of political satire and standard late night celebrity talk that make him great. You get informed and also entertained which is the perfect package.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd say John Oliver with his one night a week show.

Haven't watched Colbert's new one, Oliver doesn't just make fun of the news, he draws attention to serious issues every week with a level of depth and research that simply does not exist in any other satirical news show. I feel what he does in his show is not only enraging, but also extremely important.

Side note: all I've seen of Colbert's show was the Daniel Craig sketch and my God it was boring. If that's one of your favourites Del them it's probably not the show for me. But then I never felt the Colbert report was as good as many people thought either. It was good, and frequently funny, but it never made it out of the daily shows shadow for me.

Blog Entries

I've never been into the late night shows. Cba for that.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I forgot about Oliver. His show is really good. Funny and calls attention to the issues that others don't talk about. But man, those issues are always such downers. It doesn't make you feel good though the awareness I'm sure has an overall positive effect in the long run.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm biased towards Colbert, so Colbert.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have a soft spot for James corden