Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect

1 is the best for story, by quite a way. But yes you can start with 2 as the story is largely independent. I played 2 first.
    You should definitely go back and play 1 before playing 3 though.

Oh and make sure you get all the DLC for 2. It's excellent and nearly doubles the length of the game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If a recap is sufficient, then you might as well just read a recap of the entire trilogy!

The first is my favourite. Except the inventory management.

i would defo not skip 1 unless it was impossible for you to play it. there is a ps3 version but i think you need to buy all three as a trilogy collection on ps3. don't think you can buy it individually

you can on xb360 but then you can't transfer the save file. that's not a big problem though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes, go either full paragon or full renegade, though I'm a good guy, so I went full savior of the worlds on everyone.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Man, I always acted accordingly to my situation. No wonder I never had enough Paragon/Renegade points for certain scenes. Curse my need for balance!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I really have to disagree with the people who say you don't need to play 1. Some of the most important events in the series and the most ground shaking decisions you make happen in the first game.

I personally prefer male Shepard over female Shepard because Jennifer Hale's voice is like nails on a chalkboard at many points in these games for some reason (she's usually a fantastic voice actress). But in the first game I have to say femshep has way better facial features and stuff you can choose from. It's really hard to make a good looking male Shepard in the first game. Also, it looks like they just swapped out a hastily rendered male upper body on the same female lower body in the first game, which sucks too. I think male Shepard was an afterthought when they were making the first game, honestly.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Ahh I loved Jennifer Hale, especially on Renegade plays.

You'll be okay playing Mass Effect 2 first. It's what I did. The first one is great, aside from a couple of cheesy moments, definitely go back to it someday! To reiterate what others have said, you'll wanna be pure paragon or pure renegade in ME2 because the morality checks are pretty tight. In the first game you can unlock both Charm and Intimidate if you play it just right. But in ME3 you can go back and forth between the two all the time without giving it any thought because you can choose either as long as your total of both kinds of points are high enough. You could literally go 50/50 without consequence.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Male Shepard was an afterthought as he wasn't supposed to happen... I'm sure shep was meant to be female and then they changed it!

I always disliked the Paragon/Renegade points stuff, especially in 2. The thing with Shepard is that she's a leader, and being a good leader doesn't just mean being nice and lovely all the time. You gotta find a balance. Picard was one of the most mellow Starship Captains you could ever asked for but he was scary as all hell if you crossed him.

So I always play Mass Effect in a situation by situation manner. It also means on repeat playthroughs I never see any of the branching paths, because I always make the same decisions each time! This is why I never get excited when I see a game has "50 million different endings" because I am only ever going to see one of those.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm just choosing options based on what I would do or say in the situation. I'm leaning heavily in one direction but have a few points on the other. A lot of the colourful options have come up. I just did all of the dossier missions and things. I do feel rather overwhelmed with everything. I don't like the combat and I'm very bad at it and the upgrades are kind of overwhelming also. I do like the different dialogue options and a few of the characters

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I always disliked the Paragon/Renegade points stuff, especially in 2. The thing with Shepard is that she's a leader, and being a good leader doesn't just mean being nice and lovely all the time. You gotta find a balance. Picard was one of the most mellow Starship Captains you could ever asked for but he was scary as all hell if you crossed him.

So I always play Mass Effect in a situation by situation manner. It also means on repeat playthroughs I never see any of the branching paths, because I always make the same decisions each time! This is why I never get excited when I see a game has "50 million different endings" because I am only ever going to see one of those.
    The Picard Maneuver is the best way to play these games.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Combat does take some getting used to in this series. At first it's awkward and clunky but you get used to it. Then, before too long, it doesn't bother you any more. All the ammo/armor/whatever upgrades can be overwhelming though. I generally just pick one for each character and then replace it with a higher level of the same because I don't care enough to min/max every single time I get in a fight.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Playing 1 after 2 and 3 is challenging because the gameplay is a lot rougher in the first game. I'm actually playing ME1 for the first time right now and although it has all the space travel and character building I love about this series, the actual fights are really hard because I am used to the more smoother mechanics of the later games. I guess I got spoiled!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Playing 1 after 2 and 3 is challenging because the gameplay is a lot rougher in the first game. I'm actually playing ME1 for the first time right now and although it has all the space travel and character building I love about this series, the actual fights are really hard because I am used to the more smoother mechanics of the later games. I guess I got spoiled!
    Tell me about it. I started off with 2 too and then went back to 1. Then I got used to the controls of the first game and had to learn the second all over again.

The Neverending Learning Curve!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Something I will say that I appreciate are some of the moral dilemmas presented. It's not super obvious "this is right and this is wrong" but a lot of the times just kind of "this is kind of bad and this is also kind of bad in a different way but uh pick one of them". It makes you think about things a bit more and I quite enjoy that aspect of it
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 10-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should play 1 first.