Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody own / getting an Xbox One?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

By all means get an xbox 1, but please don't fall into their trap and buy it for the next tomb raider. You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    By all means get an xbox 1, but please don't fall into their trap and buy it for the next tomb raider. You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.
    You don't even need a Xbox One to get Tomb Raider. You can just buy it on the Xbox 360.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

ew, previous gen graphics and performance.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.
    I don't think you have to worry about that. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been a complete bomb in terms of sales. It's sold less than a third of the amount that the last game sold in the same time span.

Whoever decided releasing it as an Xbox exclusive on the same day as Fallout 4 was a good idea probably needs to be fired.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Whoever decided releasing it as an Xbox exclusive on the same day as Fallout 4 was a good idea probably needs to be fired.
    Actually, the release date was announced for Rise of the Tomb Raider before it was set for Fallout 4.

The real bomb was making it a one year (let alone one month) timed exclusive for the console that has sold less globally, especially when the previous game (Tomb Raider) sold better on the other manufacturer's consoles.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

You're just letting them know these sorts of troutty tactics work.
    I don't think you have to worry about that. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been a complete bomb in terms of sales. It's sold less than a third of the amount that the last game sold in the same time span.

Oh, no. I just take that as a sign of more people than me making a conscious effort to make those tactics not work.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't think it's much of an effort to not spend £400 so you can play a video game. A conscious effort would be more if there was something that was very easily done and potentially beneficial / worth the cost etc.

I doubt anyone who has an Xbox One is actually saying to themselves that they would go and buy RotTR and that they want to and have the money but are choosing not to because of the fact that there was a one year timed exclusive for PS4 owners. I would say it's more just a case of Fallout 4 coming out at the same time and also the fact that you can only buy it if you already own or are willing to pay for an Xbox One. These two things are far more likely to have impacted sales than a conscious effort to try and create change.

In other words, the people aren't making the effort and that is because of their priorities, not moral grounds.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Actually, the release date was announced for Rise of the Tomb Raider before it was set for Fallout 4.

The real bomb was making it a one year (let alone one month) timed exclusive for the console that has sold less globally, especially when the previous game (Tomb Raider) sold better on the other manufacturer's consoles.
    True true, but they could have easily pushed back the release date, could they not? Square-Enix hasn't been shy about pushing back releases in the past.

But I agree, making it a timed XB1 exclusive was the prime damning factor.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just hope Square doesn't see this as a reason to axe the Tomb Raider reboot altogether.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hopefully Microsoft paid Square enough to make it worth their while. Frankly, I hate exclusives. They're good for console manufacturers, but not for consumers.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

At least you can play it on PC pretty soon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't terribly mind exclusives. What I mind are timed exclusives. Complete exclusives just mean that the developer didn't have an interest in developing it for another console. I mean, nobody really complains about Halo or Uncharted not being available on the Wii U. However, timed exclusives mean they are willing to do the work but they are accepting a huge sum of money to put off a release they in all likelihood could have managed at an earlier time, if not the same time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

In SE's case it is worse than usual because they have publicly stated that console exclusivity is not in their interest. Then they go out and make something that is extremely close to a console exclusive. The PS4 wait is nearly a year.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Honestly, they would have been better off if they just announced a PS4 port a few months after the Xbone release, pretending they never initially had plans. That's how dumb the entire thing is.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I mean, nobody really complains about Halo or Uncharted not being available on the Wii U.
    I think no one complains because they know Microsoft isn't going to release Halo on a Sony or Nintendo console. They're still bad for consumers because anyone who wants to play one or two exclusives on one console but owns the other either chooses between spending money on multiple consoles or not enjoying the game they want. I personally hate that Forza is Xbox exclusive because it's a good series and I'd like to play it but I can't because I don't have a 360 and I really don't plan on buying any of the new consoles because I don't think any of them are worth it. And I don't often go around mentioning it because I know it's never going to be on anything but an Xbox as long as Microsoft is publishing it so no amount of complaining, even by the entire gaming community, would ever change it.