Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why aren't boy and girl groups as popular in the U.S. as they are in the UK?

I have to point out that Simon Cowell is going to become a new judge on America's Got Talent next season. I hope they bring back X Factor in a few more years, though, or invent a new show that does groups in addition to solo singers, because The Voice only does solo singers.

And I also noticed that sometimes, when going solo, their material is sometimes more explicit than when they're in a group. For example, Justin Timberlake's solo material is more explicit than his material with N*Sync, and Nick Jonas' solo material is more explicit than his material with the Jonas Brothers. However, there are exceptions: British pop singer Ellie Goulding is a solo singer who does not sing explicit lyrics, whereas Swedish pop duo Icona Pop and American pop duo Krewella sing explicit lyrics. Overall, though, when singers are in a group, they're usually more modest than when they go solo.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 11-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I don't think it's really group vs solo on modesty and more of what that group/solo person likes to sing about. No trend there. Just people being people.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think that has something to do w/ age. Jonas & JT weren't little boys in a band anymore when they flew solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I think that has something to do w/ age. Jonas & JT weren't little boys in a band anymore when they flew solo.
    I know, but still, they basically went from the rough equivalent of G or PG-rated to R-rated. At least be the rough equivalent of PG-13.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

its not really a british thing.
    the boy/girl group trend is more a japanese/korean (and more asian countries) thing that is slowly growing west..
    perhaps it'll grow in the States once Europe is completely infected.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I have to point out that Simon Cowell is going to become a new judge on America's Got Talent next season. I hope they bring back X Factor in a few more years, though, or invent a new show that does groups in addition to solo singers, because The Voice only does solo singers.

And I also noticed that sometimes, when going solo, their material is sometimes more explicit than when they're in a group. For example, Justin Timberlake's solo material is more explicit than his material with N*Sync, and Nick Jonas' solo material is more explicit than his material with the Jonas Brothers. However, there are exceptions: British pop singer Ellie Goulding is a solo singer who does not sing explicit lyrics, whereas Swedish pop duo Icona Pop and American pop duo Krewella sing explicit lyrics. Overall, though, when singers are in a group, they're usually more modest than when they go solo.
    I have to admit: I spoke too soon and was wrong on Ellie Goulding; her previous albums did not contain a PA sticker, but her newest one does. I went to the mall and into an entertainment store, and found her newest album, which was just released this year, and it contains profanities and a PA sticker on it. Maybe I should have used Taylor Swift in my example instead.

It in fact does seem that, in most cases, singers are more modest in groups than when they go solo.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well a song on Little Mix's newest album is called A.D.I.D.A.S (all day I dream about sex) so I guess you're going to have to steer clear of the wee whores now then. Totes explicit.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Well a song on Little Mix's newest album is called A.D.I.D.A.S (all day I dream about sex) so I guess you're going to have to steer clear of the wee whores now then. Totes explicit.
    That's already a Korn song.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yes they re-did it. I like their version, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I didn't see a PA sticker on their album, so...