Thread: Undertale

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you have any type of working PC, you can run it. Seriously, this will run on a potato.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

It's also possible to play without a controller if you don't have one. You can beat the whole thing with a keyboard. (I did, and it was rough, but I did it, haha.)

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Undertale was GOTY for me in 2015. I really do like it a lot, but after going through it again, I've noticed that once you know all the mechanics and plot twists, a lot of the impact of the story is lost. It's a fantastic game and definitely up there on a list of treasured games for me, but that's it's one solid flaw-- the game's true value lies in playing it blind. It's a bit of a shame that the impact of the narrative revolves around what is not known.

Just a minor fuss I have about it, now that I've returned to the game a year later. Such a great game though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sans smurfing sucks, Papyrus is goddamn EVERYTHING, I wish you could kill Alphys outright, and Asgore murdered innocent children, he does not deserve Toriel and she's right for hating him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Sans smurfing sucks, Papyrus is goddamn EVERYTHING, I wish you could kill Alphys outright, and Asgore murdered innocent children, he does not deserve Toriel and she's right for hating him.
    Did we play the same game? :0

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I really like Asgore, I don’t think he’s bad. But Toriel wasn’t okay with him killing innocent kids, which IS TOTALLY REASONABLE.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That’s... not exactly her reason if you’re on the true ending path. Rather, she was more upset he didn’t actually have the guts to do it, but also wouldn’t back down on his promise to get the monsters to the surface. So it’s less that she left him because he decided to kill kids, but rather because he’s an indecisive smurf

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That’s... not exactly her reason if you’re on the true ending path. Rather, she was more upset he didn’t actually have the guts to do it, but also wouldn’t back down on his promise to get the monsters to the surface. So it’s less that she left him because he decided to kill kids, but rather because he’s an indecisive smurf
    Yeah, she tells him that he could have gone ahead himself and gotten souls and brought them back. Toriel has never shown herself to be anything but loving, so I still think she would have judged him had he chosen the souls of children, versus, say, someone who was dying and would willingly give up theirs.

Narratively, the monsters trying to escape is weird anyways, because it doesn't seem like all that long ago they were forced underground in the first place. Or maybe monsters just have really, really long life spans!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Were they actually kids he killed? I always assumed they were adults with professions as you find their equipment and each of their heals during the final showdown are flavoured around this, eg the chef, the ballerina, and so on.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Were they actually kids he killed? I always assumed they were adults with professions as you find their equipment and each of their heals during the final showdown are flavoured around this, eg the chef, the ballerina, and so on.
    I just kind of assumed it was kids wearing stuff, but you're probably right. In any case, is killing an innocent adult THAT much better? I mean, we're assuming that these people didn't just come in an kill a bunch of people.

Articles

Oh yeah no I agree with you on the morals of it. I'd just always had it in my head that they were adults so I just wanted to know if you knew something I didn't.

But on those morals, Asgore's in an impossible situation. He didn't stuff the monsters down there, and he didn’t set up the 7 human soul barrier either, that was all imposed on him. His people are ostensibly suffering down there and he’s responsible for them. What else can he do? It’s one of those lesser of two evils situations. Either way is pretty horrible but I can’t really judge someone for choosing either path.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh yeah no I agree with you on the morals of it. I'd just always had it in my head that they were adults so I just wanted to know if you knew something I didn't.

But on those morals, Asgore's in an impossible situation. He didn't stuff the monsters down there, and he didn’t set up the 7 human soul barrier either, that was all imposed on him. His people are ostensibly suffering down there and he’s responsible for them. What else can he do? It’s one of those lesser of two evils situations. Either way is pretty horrible but I can’t really judge someone for choosing either path.
    Nor can I, and as I said, I do really like Asgore. He's easily one of my favorite characters. It's very clear he takes no joy in it, and even allows you time to leave to take care of your matters (or escape, really) if you need to do things. In another time he would've been your friend (and in another time, he IS your friend).

I was just saying that I don't blame Toriel for leaving him. Her reasons are justified, even if he did what he did (or didn't do, as Fynn said) without malice. Her reasons for leaving were solid, and aren't the kind of reasons you go back on--especially someone like Toriel who is easily the kindest and most pacifist monster in the whole game. And honestly, I really like that it wasn't concrete they got back together. Sure, Asgore tends flowers outside her school, so it sort of implies it, but she outright tells him she isn't coming back. It's also sad, though, because they are both so lovable, and so was Asriel, and Chara just smurfing decimated that family in every way.

Also, I really like you can't save Asriel. His fate is heartbreaking, but you can't save everyone.

And nah, no special info! Just like you, I just always assumed the ages of the other humans. xD Maybe because Toriel is so mothering, it's odd to think of her doting on another adult.

Articles

Again my interpretation was that Frisk was the first human to encounter Toriel simply because she told Sans to look after a human that came through the door, implying Frisk was the first.

On that note, how the hell can you hate San? And Mettaton? And while I don't love Alphys, I don't think she's particularly hateable either. I demand answers!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Again my interpretation was that Frisk was the first human to encounter Toriel simply because she told Sans to look after a human that came through the door, implying Frisk was the first.

On that note, how the hell can you hate San? And Mettaton? And while I don't love Alphys, I don't think she's particularly hateable either. I demand answers!
    I don't hate Sans, I just don't like him. He's so blase about everything, it makes me disinterested in him as a character. I'll say this--I'm watching a genocide playthrough, and that's where he shines. The fact he's willing to spare you after everything you've done makes him much more interesting.

Mettaton is annoying and not funny. Alphys is a drip and every scene she's in is damn near insufferable. Also, she's incredibly manipulative.