Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Undertale

Articles
    Blog Entries

Finished Genocide route. Wow. That was chilling.

(SPOILER)I remember the moment I entered the route for the first time. I was starting to get seriously bored from grinding enemies with an encounter rate that continuously gets lower and lower. Then the "But nobody came" encounter hit and instantly it was all worth the while. That eerie music, all the random monsters disappearing including helpful frogs and ghosts that used to block paths. And then you slice Toriel in half with just one attack... and she comments on how much you apparently hate her and then she realizes that in keeping you in the ruins she wasn't protecting you from the monsters, but the monsters from you... man that was an indescribable feeling.

And it only gets better from there. Other favorite moments include picking apart the Snowman ("You got the Snowman's Piece."), Buy and Sell in shops being replaced with Take and Steal, the fight screen vs Monster Kid, Flowey's lengthy monologue near the end giving some more insight into how he became the bitch he is during neutral route, and of course the final battle with Sans. Man that was a good fight. Love that kind of challenge. I was a little disappointed with the ending of the route, but eh, can't win 'em all.

The grinds were kind of annoying, but thanks to the AFK encountering trick you can circumvent the boredom at least. Still rather poorly designed IMO.

Overall I'd say the end of Neutral route was still the best part; but other than that Genocide route was easily the most memorable storyline path.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Also I wish I could just stay with her at the start of the game
    Same here

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    (SPOILER)The grinds were kind of annoying, but thanks to the AFK encountering trick you can circumvent the boredom at least. Still rather poorly designed IMO.
    Without wishing to necessarily absolve the game, that is entirely deliberate and indeed part of the point of that route - you're supposed to question whether it's worth it. sans makes this pretty explicit in the Last Corridor on this route, and (SPOILER)his whole gambit is exactly the same; to make you give up out of annoyance.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Now that more people have finally played and beaten the game (and/or has looked up all story paths), I can share some pretty cool stuff. I am going to spoiler tag everything because of the obvious.

(SPOILER)

Lots of awesome Undertale wallpapers. I am currently using the first person Sans one without any words. Be sure to load all of the imgur album to see them all!
    http://imgur.com/a/tolsG

Aftertale. A fan comic that is very creative that centers around Sans and his knowledge of the rests. It's still currently in production, but there is plenty to read.
    http://loverofpiggies.tumblr.com/pos...mic-or-is-it-a

Anyone who gets this will be crying with laughter.
    http://i.imgur.com/3qKbgQr.png

Realistic Genocide route Sans. Terrifying picture.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kwrWA

Want to screw with the game and jump to points without actually playing through the whole thing? Here you go!
    http://crumblingstatue.github.io/FloweysTimeMachine/

Articles
    Blog Entries

Without wishing to necessarily absolve the game, that is entirely deliberate and indeed part of the point of that route - you're supposed to question whether it's worth it. sans makes this pretty explicit in the Last Corridor on this route, and (SPOILER)his whole gambit is exactly the same; to make you give up out of annoyance.
    See the ironic thing here is that (SPOILER)the Sans boss fight is not annoying or unfun at all, in fact it's the one part of the game I'm considering having a save game right before so I can redo it whenever I want. Because it's damn fun to fight him.

And, well, (SPOILER)I don't care much if it's intended or not; I consider it bad design either way. The only justification I can imagine for intentionally boring the player is if there's a payoff for it that absolutely requires the player to have been bored for it. Genocide Route would have worked equally well (for me at least) if you cut out the boredom of grinding. Hell it doesn't even touch upon the whole thing being a time-intensive grind.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like how you kept the 'And, well' out of the spoiler.

Is this game coming for any sort of console?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I like how you kept the 'And, well' out of the spoiler.

Is this game coming for any sort of console?
    Nothing as of now, but never say never. Though with certain things that can happen, I am not sure how they would do it.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    stuff
    Thanks for these! I am now using some myself!

See the ironic thing here is that (SPOILER)the Sans boss fight is not annoying or unfun at all, in fact it's the one part of the game I'm considering having a save game right before so I can redo it whenever I want. Because it's damn fun to fight him.

And, well, (SPOILER)I don't care much if it's intended or not; I consider it bad design either way. The only justification I can imagine for intentionally boring the player is if there's a payoff for it that absolutely requires the player to have been bored for it. Genocide Route would have worked equally well (for me at least) if you cut out the boredom of grinding. Hell it doesn't even touch upon the whole thing being a time-intensive grind.
    I can understand that and as I said, I wasn't necessarily trying to absolve the game of it - it might be a deliberate choice that doesn't work, that is a reasonable conclusion to draw. It is also in no way a factor in my decision to (SPOILER)never do a Genocide Run - that is the result of the ending to the True Pacifist Run I got.

Speaking of which,

(SPOILER)Can we talk about just how incredibly moving the True Pacifist ending is? I never thought Flowey would become such a moving and powerful character, but god damn if I don't desperately want a way to do it all again to restore Asriel. Whilst his story and all is sad enough, what really hit it home for me is when it was pointed out that Asriel Dreemurr, even as God of Hyperdeath, is completely what Asriel Dreemurr, little kid, thinks is cool and awesome - his mom, stars, and rainbows. Even after everything, even in that form, even with that power, he really is just a scared and hurt little kid.

UT did something I didn't honestly think I'd ever see a game do - it made me, with complete happiness, intend to never play it again. The game is done. It is over. I have completed it to my satisfaction and (SPOILER)the game's structure and metaphysics means I could never bring myself to take that all away from them. I care about these idiots more than the most detailed, convoluted game with the best voice acting and photorealistic graphics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    stuff
    Thanks for these! I am now using some myself!

I can understand that and as I said, I wasn't necessarily trying to absolve the game of it - it might be a deliberate choice that doesn't work, that is a reasonable conclusion to draw. It is also in no way a factor in my decision to (SPOILER)never do a Genocide Run - that is the result of the ending to the True Pacifist Run I got.

Speaking of which,

(SPOILER)Can we talk about just how incredibly moving the True Pacifist ending is? I never thought Flowey would become such a moving and powerful character, but god damn if I don't desperately want a way to do it all again to restore Asriel. Whilst his story and all is sad enough, what really hit it home for me is when it was pointed out that Asriel Dreemurr, even as God of Hyperdeath, is completely what Asriel Dreemurr, little kid, thinks is cool and awesome - his mom, stars, and rainbows. Even after everything, even in that form, even with that power, he really is just a scared and hurt little kid.

UT did something I didn't honestly think I'd ever see a game do - it made me, with complete happiness, intend to never play it again. The game is done. It is over. I have completed it to my satisfaction and (SPOILER)the game's structure and metaphysics means I could never bring myself to take that all away from them. I care about these idiots more than the most detailed, convoluted game with the best voice acting and photorealistic graphics.
    (SPOILER)I smurfing cried like a baby when Frisk hugs Asriel. Well, the game gives you the option, but I don't see how anyone who isn't trying to be a total edgelord can refuse forgiving him and hugging him. Then during the ending I was crying just because it was so heartwarming to see everyone achieve their dreams. And the music, man. Everything.

That said, I don't mind restarting the game and playing through it again, but I never will heave the heart to do a Genocide run. I just can't do it. I looked up the YouTube stuff. That was too much. I don't care if Flowey thinks I am "sicker" for "watching it happen." I disagree with that. Nope, buddy, in MY timelines, everything gets put back into place the proper way!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yep, I'm like you guys in as much as I did the True Pacifist ending and now don't want to pick it up again and ruin it. (SPOILER)I know it's just a game and none of it matters etc. but hey the game is doing its job because that's how it wants you to feel! I still haven't done Genocide and I've been toying with it. There's some good content and music I know I'm missing out on but then like... do I really want to murder the hell out of all of these awesome characters? Like, what do I get out of that?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just dropping in to say (while avoiding spoilers) that I'm getting more and more eager to try this game out, especially in light of my recent playthrough of Dragon Quest. I also try to avoid all hype because I find that often just ruins games for me - Ace Attorney and FE: Awakening are two such examples that were in some ways very underwhelming for me, even though both are hyped as hell.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I am slooowly working my way through this game (I am bad, bad, BAD at bullet hell. You guys would be embarrassed if I told you how many times I've died so far.)

Anyways the game just took the piss out of (SPOILER)Final Fantasy VI and I haven't laughed this hard at a video game in years

Spoiler
    Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 20.51.59.png

This is what I feel like when I listen to the Dark Side of the Moon

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I am slooowly working my way through this game (I am bad, bad, BAD at bullet hell. You guys would be embarrassed if I told you how many times I've died so far.)

Anyways the game just took the piss out of (SPOILER)Final Fantasy VI and I haven't laughed this hard at a video game in years
    I did as well. Also, pro tip:

(SPOILER)Find Temmie village and buy the Temmie Armor. It starts out at 9999 to buy, but the price cuts in half whenever you die, I think. If I am correct it should be super cheap for you and it is the best armor in the game. Should make things easier.

Articles
    Blog Entries

(SPOILER)Well technically The Locket is the best armor in the game, not that it matters =P