Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Undertale

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Undertale

EDIT: It's best to go into this game blind! Only read my post/watch the preview video if you are on the fence or something!

NOTE: If my post about this is TL;DR, just watch the video below. It explains what I just typed in a short one minute and fifteen second video!

I'm sure a good chunk of you have heard or even played this game right now. I'm going to be vague because I don't want to spoil anything. Even the creator of the game, Toby Fox, recommends that if you are interested and go to watch a Let's Play or whatever, just watch a few minutes and then decide if you want to try it yourself. It is a game that really does reach its full potential if you go into it as blind as possible.

The game is an RPG that has a very EarthBound vibe to it. It's certainly not the first game to do so, but it also take RPG tropes and turns them on their head. It's a moderately lengthy game (6-10 hours depending on how you play), but it is worth it to fully explore the game.

Again, this is hardly original for an indie game these days, but the graphics look like a cross between a SNES game and an early DOS game. Oh, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. One of the best RPG soundtracks in ages. Just like something like Shovel Knight, the look works, and adds to the game rather than simply using that kind of style to get nostalgia points.

The combat system is really cool. Instead of simply selecting commands you control a heart (that looks like a Zelda life heart) in a box as you dodge/interact with bullet hell attacks (but not super crazy bullet hell most of time).

There are two main ways to play the game. Though a lot have people have revealed this already, I'll still spoiler tag it. I mean, I'll probably save you some time if you look, but anyway...Plus, I think the creator of the game is cool with people knowing this fact going in, but again, I'll spoiler tag it anyway(SPOILER) Alright, so basically you can either play the game like a typical RPG and fight everything...but you can also literally go through the game without killing anything but selecting the proper commands.

It's just a really good game. The emotional impact it had on me really crept up on me. I want to gush about it some more, but again, I want to be vague for anyone who will end up playing it or even if any of you are in the middle of playing it now.

It is available on Steam or you can straight up buy it from the site itself. It's 10 bucks!

http://undertale.com/

Here is a preview video that is on the site for those lazy to click it!

It's on my wishlist. I can't watch the video because I want to see as little about it as possible before I play it (like every game I already plan to play) but it sounds like I'll probably enjoy it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I picked it up last week and it's next on my list to play once I'm done with Albino Lullaby. So hopefully in a couple of weeks or two I can post my thoughts here. I'm looking forward to it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nice to both of you. I am confident that you'll both enjoy it! Looking forward to forthcoming thoughts!

I have heard many good things about this title and will get it at some point. I didn't read any of the above posts or watched any of the videos though, as I hope to go in blind ;D

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I have heard many good things about this title and will get it at some point. I didn't read any of the above posts or watched any of the videos though, as I hope to go in blind ;D
    That's honestly the best way to do it. You know what? I should add that to the top of my post...

*goes to edit*

Articles

Just completed it. One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Funny, touching, clever and with a smurfing awesome soundtrack. Probably my game of 2015. You all owe it to yourselves to play it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Just completed it. One of the best RPGs I have ever played. Funny, touching, clever and with a smurfing awesome soundtrack. Probably my game of 2015. You all owe it to yourselves to play it.
    Glad to hear! I agree with your short review completely. I've seriously been listening to the soundtrack nonstop since I completed the game a week ago today. There are also so many layers to this game I've been reading up on. It's pretty crazy. Lots of creative stuff like artwork and soundtrack covers from the ever growing fan community as well. All around great time!

Articles

What songs on the soundtrack are your favourites? I'm all over the final boss guitar music right now. I won't name it because spoilers but you know the one I mean. I think it's called Hopes and Dreams.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    What songs on the soundtrack are your favourites? I'm all over the final boss guitar music right now. I won't name it because spoilers but you know the one I mean. I think it's called Hopes and Dreams.
    I'll spoiler tag this just to be safe. Be warned! YouTube links incoming! SERIOUSLY SPOILERS! MY OCCASIONAL BLURBS ON SOME OF THESE ARE SPOILERS TOO!

(SPOILER)

<--This one might be my favorite

<--This track is seriously on par with the best Final Fantasy boss music

<--This fight was absolutely terrifying. Like Gygas on crack.

<--Tears, man...

<--SAVE! SAVE! SAVE! SAVE!

Genocide/No mercy run spoiler
    (SPOILER)

<--BONUS FUN SPIDER DANCE ANIMATION

Articles

Those are good but you left out a classic:(SPOILER)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Haha, yeah! The ones I posted were mostly the best of the best for me. I basically love the whole soundtrack! During that fight I seriously lost it when (SPOILER)Napstablook's tears cried upside down and a hat formed which he called "Dapper Blook." Also before the fight when the game said he was literally lying on the floor saying 'Z' over and over again. If you didn't do it during your run, if you offer to lay on the floor with Napstablook at his home, a beautiful, surreal background image of space-like visuals appear. Dude, Naspstablook is the...uh....ghost? Man ghost? He's cool.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I just wish it weren't so ugly.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

A small team of people made the game in RPG maker. I'll admit that the game looks archaic, and the retro look in indie games have been done to death, but in Undertale's case, the low tech looks lends itself positively to the overall atmosphere and feel for the game.
    Last edited by Sephex; 10-20-2015 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Your edit is as empty as your typos. Forum kind ill needs a bad speller such as you!

I am an hour into this game and loving it. It has moved me more in just this little chunk than any other recent title I've played in it's entirety!