View Poll Results: What will you give up? Or...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • My legs

1 5.56%
  • My arms

0 0%
  • My sight

0 0%
  • My hearing

0 0%
  • My voice

4 22.22%
  • None, I'm already rich enough!

4 22.22%
  • None, I'll rather keep my body whole.

9 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were offered a million dollars....

:monster: If you were offered a million dollars....

...and had to give up one of the following in exchange, which would it be and why? -> Your legs; your arms; your sight; your hearing; your voice.

If a million is not enough, how much would you be willing to take to trade one of the above for?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

A million? In america, the physical therapy and what not alone would take up most of that chunk if you lost any of those. Not worth it at all.

Hmm, I think you got ahead of me posting the poll. Also, how much would be enough for you, then?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

10 millions maybe. My voice. I can communicate with sign language, or just type.

I might let someone chop off part of my pinky for 1 million. It is a mostly useless finger, and I could do a lot with a million dollars.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Counter-proposal. You give me the million dollars, and I do absolutely nothing in return.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    10 millions maybe. My voice. I can communicate with sign language, or just type.

I might let someone chop off part of my pinky for 1 million. It is a mostly useless finger, and I could do a lot with a million dollars.
    Pinkies are so damn important! You would lose a huge percentage of your gripping abilities without pinkies!

Someone could take my legs for a billion dollars. American dollars at their best ever valuation in the history of the country. Deposited as I say. After I have a guarantee that I can buy Lt. Dan legs afterwards.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah chop off my legs, I'll get robot ones with the million and all I do is sit around anyway.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post

Pinkies are so damn important! You would lose a huge percentage of your gripping abilities without pinkies!

Someone could take my legs for a billion dollars. American dollars at their best ever valuation in the history of the country. Deposited as I say. After I have a guarantee that I can buy Lt. Dan legs afterwards.
    idk. my pinkies always seem to be what applies the least amount of force on whatever i hold. it would be annoying to get used to typing with 9 fingers though

Articles
    Blog Entries

idk. my pinkies always seem to be what applies the least amount of force on whatever i hold. it would be annoying to get used to typing with 9 fingers though
    If you clench your fist it should be easily apparent how much tightness is coming from your pinky finger. If not, stick your pinky finger straight out and then try clenching your fist.

I wouldn't give up any limbs as I need them for drumming, same goes for hearing. Sight is also too damn important. I think voice might be the only one I would seriously consider, but even that is iffy.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Money is nice, but I do just fine without a lot. I won't let myself be mutilated just for money.

However, there are certain things that I might do...

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post

If you clench your fist it should be easily apparent how much tightness is coming from your pinky finger. If not, stick your pinky finger straight out and then try clenching your fist.

I wouldn't give up any limbs as I need them for drumming, same goes for hearing. Sight is also too damn important. I think voice might be the only one I would seriously consider, but even that is iffy.
    no no, that's not accurate. If you're trying to extend your pinky, you are pulling at least one of the other fingers back too. If the pinky was simply cut off at the middle, you'd still have the full force from the other fingers.

But sure, there is some tightness from the pinky as well, but i would say it is significantly less than any of the others can supply. So, while it's 20% of the fingers, it probably supplies less than 15% of the total clenching power.

However, I also said part of my pinky. If I was just missing the outermost bone, I would still have some clenching power left in it for many situations, such as for example holding on to a branch, or any other thin, cylindrical-ish object.

If you now take into account that most people have two hands, i bet that the total loss in gripping power for things such as doing for example pull-ups would be 8% or less. My grip power was never the limiting factor for pullups anyway <,<. That would be my complete lack of upper torso musculature.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-15-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

no no, that's not accurate. If you're trying to extend your pinky, you are pulling at least one of the other fingers back too. If the pinky was simply cut off at the middle, you'd still have the full force from the other fingers.

But sure, there is some tightness from the pinky as well, but i would say it is significantly less than any of the others can supply. So, while it's 20% of the fingers, it probably supplies less than 15% of the total clenching power.

However, I also said part of my pinky. If I was just missing the outermost bone, I would still have some clenching power left in it for many situations, such as for example holding on to a branch, or any other thin, cylindrical-ish object.
    Dont pull it back then, just don't clench it and you can still feel a significant loss.

I don't know where you got 15% number from. I'll assume you made it up because everything I heard prior to this has the pinkie finger contributing way more than that to the overall grip strength of your hand.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> If anyone is interested I can give up the fat from by belly for one million..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Dont pull it back then, just don't clench it and you can still feel a significant loss.

I don't know where you got 15% number from. I'll assume you made it up because everything I heard prior to this has the pinkie finger contributing way more than that to the overall grip strength of your hand.
    It's not made up. It's estimated from how much stronger my other fingers are compared to my pinkie. It is most definitely not as strong as my index finger or middle finger, but it might be stronger than my thumb.

And well, 15% isn't insignificant, but it's still not something that would be hard to live without. It doesn't prevent me from doing any of my everyday tasks, except maybe press the left shift key, but i can get used to using the right shift instead.

Blog Entries

Exchange of the year 2015