Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite BioWare Game

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sarcastic Hawke is best Hawke.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I played the Mass Effect series first, before moving on to Dragon Age. Mr. Carny introduced me to them and they are easily one of my favorite game series.
    You're welcome.

Dragon Age II
    Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition [I can't choose between them!]
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Mass Effect

I would put KOTOR on there somewhere, but I can only vaguely remember it, to be honest. KOTOR II would have gone just below Origins, but I discovered from this thread that it's not actually Bioware. They did a cracking job copying Bioware's oeuvre, though. I actually remember that I preferred KOTOR II to KOTOR.

Like Formy, Dragon Age II is my favourite. Aveline and Isabela have the BEST interactions of any two squadmates in an RPG EVER. Plus, sarcastic female Hawke is awesome, and default male Hawke has a strong beard game.

Actually, Bioware have some great characters across the board. Definitely one of their strengths.

Blog Entries

How can ya'll love BG2 and not NWN!?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because NWN was a mess, IMO. The expansions were decent, but when your main story consists of four chapters of identical, boring fetch quests and a two-member party, then I'm sorry, but you've lost me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Because NWN was a mess, IMO. The expansions were decent, but when your main story consists of four chapters of identical, boring fetch quests and a two-member party, then I'm sorry, but you've lost me.
    I never played the main story much, the online mods were amazing. I spent a lot of time in a Wheel of Time sever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I see. That's probably why our opinions differ - we have different expectations. I was never into the modding scene of things.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Man everyone hyped the hell out of Neverwinter Nights and I couldn't get into it. I tried so many times and it just didn't interest me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Same. I pulled through because my wife promised the expansions were better. But the base story line was pathetic, with incredibly restricted gameplay.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    because it wasn't very good

(the trial in NWN2 tho god damn)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    because it wasn't very good

(the trial in NWN2 tho god damn)
    See, I didn't like NWN2 but enjoyed NWN. BG 1&2 were fun. I really didn't see the huge differences you all seem to have. Icewind Dale was the only one I really didn't like.

Gamespot and IGN seemed to agree with me that NWN was a good game

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved Icewind Dale, actually. The Infinity Engine allowed for some really beautiful locales, while the aurora engine (or whatever the NWN one was called) - simpler as it was to make mods in - made everything really look the same.

And really, NWN got old really fast. Every chapter was exactly the same. You were confined to one town and the surrounding areas, and the main story line of said area had you collect McGuffins. And that's every single chapter. I mean, I beat Persona 3. It's actually one of my favorite games. I have a high tolerance for monotonous dungeons. But that was really pushing it.

That and the Aribeth plotline was forced as hell.

I always assumed BioWare specifically chose Obsidian to hand off the creations of sequels of NWN and KoTOR to because they were closely related developers, both having worked on Baldur's Gate together (then they were Black Isle). They also made some pretty good Infinity Engine games after BioWare left it to move onto NWN and such

Aside from Obsidian's frequent name change (though I think it was actually legitimately closing and reviving simply with many of the same people; I think Troika was in there somewhere as well, and if memory serves me inExile is part of that pedigree as well)

But as far as actual BioWare games, the Baldur's Gate games are grand, but almost too grand. I haven't completed any of them because they're so vast. Though I thoroughly enjoy the 20-30 hours I plug into them each time I go back, I can't pull myself all the way through

NWN did nothing for me. I felt obligated to try to get through at least one of the main story campaigns, but the first one was so horrible, I probably didn't even put 5 hours into it. NWN 2 is so much better for a single player game. Score one for Obsidian there

I loved both KoTOR games pretty equally for different reasons, so Obsidian did a really good follow-up there, because they're both stellar. And for the longest time KotOR was one of my all-time favorite games. I still hold it in high regard, but I think Mass Effect successfully replaced it. But its still leagues better than the prequel trilogy of movies for a Star Wars experience

And even though I've been a BioWare fan for the ages, I'd almost have to agree Mass Effect 2 was something special. So fast, and frenetic, with well told, dramatic and intense story sequences, lovable characters are introduced and reprised, and the combat is so crazy and fun, it's hard to compete with that kind of experience

I appreciate Dragon Age, and am happy to own them all, but its just too paint-by-numbers hardcore fantasy fair. There's not enough good Sci-Fi rpg goodness in the world. And I'll always be happy to go back to Mass Effect. Especially #2

Loved Baldur's Gate even though I was awful at it. KOTOR is probably my favourite and I quite enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins. Never had any interest in Mass Effect.

This game is awesome so far. Also so help me if any of you post unarmed spoilers I will Thousand Cuts YOU.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I think the thing with Neverwinter Nights is that the story/characters didn't grab me whatsoever, it just felt super generic all around.