View Poll Results: Who is your favourite female Dragon Age tank?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shale

2 50.00%
  • Mhairi

0 0%
  • Aveline

2 50.00%
  • Cassandra

0 0%

Thread: Dragon Age: Favourite Female Tank

Default Dragon Age: Favourite Female Tank

Did you ever notice that in all three Dragon Age games, there is at least one female tank squadmate? I have, because I notice things like that.

I think it's quite interesting, as tank roles in video games are normally taken by male characters. You carry on breaking down those stereotypes, Bioware!

Which one is your favourite?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Shale is the best character period.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Shale is the best character period.
    Shale isn't my favourite character in the whole series, but she is my favourite Origins character.

In terms of my own favourite female tank, I'm torn between Aveline and Cassandra.

Shale and Cassandra are both great characters. I have zero recollection of Mhairi and Aveline is annoying.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mhairi is that person who you get for like ten minutes at the beginning of Dragon Age: Awakening. She's fairly forgettable as a character, but she is technically a female tank. In other words, it's just Mr. Carny being thorough.

I'd have to go for either Aveline or Cassandra, but I'd lean slightly towards Aveline. Aveline works in conjunction with Isabela on so many levels. I frequently have them in the party together (which actually works, combat-wise) for the banter they have. It is priceless. I'm sure there's a compilation of their funniest moments in Youtube.

Cassandra is also excellent and feels like a really fleshed out character. Shale is also priceless and full of dry, sometimes dark humor, which gets me chuckling. Though as a tank, Shale is far outclassed by Alistair. Shale's best role is to off-tank, letting Alistair take the tanking job, while she proceeds to use her superior offense to great effect. Shale is pretty much best paired with Alistair for gameplay purposes. In fact, why you wouldn't have Alistair in your party is beyond me; he's almost mandatory unless you respec Sten or Oghren to take up defensive duties.

In terms of combat usefulness though, again I'd have to say Aveline. Her array of skills makes her nigh invincible, and with Aveline your only real tanking option in Dragon Age II (Origins has so many warriors you can almost take your pick) Aveline becomes part of the furniture. Cassandra also fills that role for much of the early game, until you get Blackwall. Cassandra is more of an offensive tank, while Blackwall more accurately fulfills your typical defensive tank duties.

I do hope they continue this trend of female tanks though, it's sort of become BioWare's thing. If you extend it to Mass Effect, you could say Ashley Williams fulfills the same stereotype busting role, as the strong Soldier type.

Merril. I don't care if she's a caster, built right that tiny little elf lady can tank EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Merril. I don't care if she's a caster, built right that tiny little elf lady can tank EVERYTHING.
    I've never done it, but I've always found this kind of stuff interesting. There's so many ways to break these games in half in so many ways to do the impossible, and largely do it well, despite the usual pre-conceived notions. I love hearing about this kind of stuff I never would have thought of. But as far as standard tanks, I'd have to say Aveline. I love her personality and her usefulness in combat. As someone else said, she can frequently feel fairly invincible against a lot of different types of badguys. And her awkward thorny personality is fun to have around. And her unflinching loyalty in that game is probably second only to Verric. It's nice to feel like you have a reliable good friend

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I've never done it, but I've always found this kind of stuff interesting. There's so many ways to break these games in half in so many ways to do the impossible, and largely do it well, despite the usual pre-conceived notions. I love hearing about this kind of stuff I never would have thought of. But as far as standard tanks, I'd have to say Aveline. I love her personality and her usefulness in combat. As someone else said, she can frequently feel fairly invincible against a lot of different types of badguys. And her awkward thorny personality is fun to have around. And her unflinching loyalty in that game is probably second only to Verric. It's nice to feel like you have a reliable good friend
    I found out about it from a fluke. I triggered a fight somehow before the between battle recovery, so 2/4 of my guys were like, on hit from death cause I wasn't paying attention in the previous fight. Thought my defeat was garunteed.

I turned and looked down the stares, and there was Merril taking on over half of the mob I triggered on her own, other to guys were dead at the stair top with me. And I just sat there watching her win with no back up.

I have never felt more useless in a game then I did at that moment. XD

Cassandra was the best companion in Inquisition that wasn't Cole but I had her using Two-Handed. Champions are the best tanks. It's GOOD to be Champion.

So Aveline it is. She was a fantastic character that even the usual whiny anti-DA2 crowd appreciates.

Zevran: I should be going.
    Isabela: Wait, that's it? What about sex?
    Zevran: Still blunt as a dwarven hammer, hmmm? Well, why not!
    Hawke: (romantic option selected) Um, hello? I'm Standing Right Here.
    Isabela: What? You can come too.
    Zevran: Indeed! The more the merrier!
    Hawke: Let's find someplace quieter.
    -the trio blithely walk off for sex, leaving he others behind-

Aveline: "I think I just threw up a little in my mouth."

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

My Hawke was a female tank in DA2. But even still, I love Shale. From the moment you get her and she kills a bird of screen and she just shrugs at you. In my last playthrough; my team was her, Morrigan, and Oghren. They had some of the best dialog.