Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens New Trailer (#3)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Looking great. I never seen the original Star Wars - gave the episode 1 & 2 a go

I'll make it my business to watch 'em all again before I look at this in theatres.

Str8 Pimpin'

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So the guy who said he was going to continue Darth Vadar's work... is it Luke?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think it wants us to think that. I'm not sure though, we have no info about the plot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    This seems to be a popular theory and I have no idea why anyone would think that. The guy isn't exactly built like 64 year old Mark Hamill. One of the key points of Return of the Jedi was that Luke was incorruptible and would lay down his life before turning to the dark side. As far as I can tell the only reason it's suspected is because Luke doesn't show up anywhere else in the trailer (unless, as is quite likely, he's the guy with R2). Plus we've already had one "Skywalker who fell from grace," I doubt they'd use the same conceit again.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    This seems to be a popular theory and I have no idea why anyone would think that. The guy isn't exactly built like 64 year old Mark Hamill. One of the key points of Return of the Jedi was that Luke was incorruptible and would lay down his life before turning to the dark side. As far as I can tell the only reason it's suspected is because Luke doesn't show up anywhere else in the trailer (unless, as is quite likely, he's the guy with R2). Plus we've already had one "Skywalker who fell from grace," I doubt they'd use the same conceit again.
    I agree with everything here except the last sentence. My theory: (SPOILER)Kylo Ren is Luke's son. And not only that, Rey & Ren are twins, thus paralleling several of the themes from the original trilogy (separated twins, Skywalker vs. Skywalker, etc.).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

In the comics he turned to the dark side for a short bit.

I know they're not following the books or anything, but it's always possible they could have him do that.

Have we seen Mara Jade or Ben Skywalker yet?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think they are intentionally going in a different direction than the EU to differentiate themselves, but I would like to see Mara show up (highly unlikely they use actual characters though).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I agree with everything here except the last sentence. My theory: (SPOILER)Kylo Ren is Luke's son. And not only that, Rey & Ren are twins, thus paralleling several of the themes from the original trilogy (separated twins, Skywalker vs. Skywalker, etc.).
    Now that I find much more plausible. (SPOILER)NEW Skywalker falling from grace I can see. Someone whose character we haven't seen develop over the original trilogy. I could see Luke, for example, a lone Jedi, trying to teach the force to either his or Leia's force sensitive kid, and they turn to the dark side. With only the guidance of Yoda and Obi-Wan to go off (both of whom had pupils that turned Sith), I wouldn't expect him to be the perfect teacher to the new Jedi Order. It makes sense that some of those he teaches will turn.

Blog Entries

My husband said the trailer just didn't excite him that much.
    I'm not sure I know who he is anymore.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I've suspected Rey to be a Skywalker for some time now, although probably from Leia and Han. It's possible she's Luke's kid. I've suspected her to be a Jedi since I saw the movie poster, with the staff paralleling Ren's lightsaber being symbolic. Twins would make that parallel even more significant.

The trailer for all the Star Wars have been amazing. Watching the ep. 1-3 trailer now and saying it looks bad doesn't do it any justice, you have to consider it within the culture of the time they came out. Back then they were amazing. It's just as true with the trailer's for ep. 4-6. If you watch them today they're all awful, but I'm sure they were awesome at the time they were actually on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    The trailer for all the Star Wars have been amazing. Watching the ep. 1-3 trailer now and saying it looks bad doesn't do it any justice, you have to consider it within the culture of the time they came out. Back then they were amazing. It's just as true with the trailer's for ep. 4-6. If you watch them today they're all awful, but I'm sure they were awesome at the time they were actually on tv.
    Maybe with the OT sure, but I don't buy it with the prequels. What's a good trailer from '99 that makes me intrigued about a film? Fight Club. Fast forward to 2005 and Revenge of the Sith's trailer is more or less identical in structure to Phantom Menace, and that goes up against Batman Begins; far more like something we'd expect nowadays. The point is I do think the prequels needed to be Star Wars to seem impressive. The Force Awakens by any other name though... I think that's something I'd want to investigate further. I think it would stand on its own two feet.

It's hard to be objective of course, we are travelling directly through TFA hype-rspace right about now. But that's the feeling I get.

This trailer, omg. Chills!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    I love the fact they haven't given any spoilers whatsoever to what the movie is about. That's pretty rare when it comes to movie trailers these days.
    They don't need to, really. Everyone who even marginally likes star wars is going to eventually watch it. And that is a lot of people.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I think they are intentionally going in a different direction than the EU to differentiate themselves, but I would like to see Mara show up (highly unlikely they use actual characters though).
    I figured they won't use the stories, but some of the characters are well known. Using them in a different manner may still happen. We'll just have to wait and see.