Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Remakes of Older IPs? Square Enix wants to remake your old games!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question

The key is the execution here. Sure, he was shoehorned in, but was really subtle and far from the stereotypical kid hero. His role was smaller compared to others, but it was still a substantial part of convincing Ashe to not get revenge on the empire, thereby preventing her from becoming a villain. They may have been forced to include him, but I think they went about it in a very smart way, which is why aim personally really miffed by people complaining about Vaan's inclusion. But that's just my opinion

I'd personally love it if the Saga series got a revival so I could finally play all of it! I wanna check out that game that made The US branch of SE apologize to its fans.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'd rather have sequels. There's nothing of theirs I want to see remade.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Let's take bets on when the FFXIII remastered trilogy with bonus Lightning content will hit PS4.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They've already started with Seiken Denetsu with them remaking the first game for Mobile and possibly Vita. The director even mentioned that if it did well, they would follow with remakes of Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3. Course I would have just preferred a collection of Mana games. You know, just give me the original SD3 (not like it isn't still beautiful and plays well) just translate it officially and release it on PSN/Nintendo eShop and let's be done with it. It baffles me how much some of these game companies waste money on projects when just releasing some of their old games with actual translations would probably do just fine.

I'm sure this plan will largely focus on the 16-bit era though, with a few early PS1 titles being thrown into the mix.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Actually, I only care about the obnoxious "I'm Captain Basch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" scene

On par with FFX's laughing scene. Except that scene pretty much summed up the game, it didn't ruin anything that wasn't already questionable.
    Except, the laughing scene was supposed to be bad and awkward. Tidus was letting out a forced laugh for Yuna. Even Wakka made fun of them at the end.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Actually, I only care about the obnoxious "I'm Captain Basch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" scene

On par with FFX's laughing scene. Except that scene pretty much summed up the game, it didn't ruin anything that wasn't already questionable.
    Except, the laughing scene was supposed to be bad and awkward. Tidus was letting out a forced laugh for Yuna. Even Wakka made fun of them at the end.
    It's still a cringe worthy scene that could have been done a bit more gracefully.

I actually like the "I'm Captain Basch!" sequence in XII, it was pretty amusing and actually made Vaan relevant by finally showing that he's the team's official errand bitch. If you really pay attention to the characters, you can see that the party resents him as well since he tends to embarrass himself more than the others and the other party members tend to give him trout all the time.

Back on topic. Part of me was going to joke about Xenogears getting a remake as a mobile only visual novel title and then it occurred to me that the change of format may not actually be bad for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post

It's still a cringe worthy scene that could have been done a bit more gracefully.
    Never bothered me in the least bit. The fans who still gripe about it to this day are more annoying than the scene will ever be.

The Captain Basch scene never bothered me, either. Well, not the actual performance of it, anyway. The running around having to scream it out wasn't exactly a high point, but eeh.

On Topic, say no to mobile.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I say lay off mobile. Just finished the iOS port of Shin Megami Tensei and it was phenomenal, and I played it mostly during commutes. So yes, a definite yes please to mobile.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I say lay off mobile.
    Not until they get this guy as their mascot:

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

All this stuff and Square Enix still won't give me FFX HD on Steam

FF12 looks pretty certain at this point.

After that, I bet they'll wait and see how FF7 does. I'm fairly sure it'll be a big success.

I bet they'll consider FF8 and FF9 if it does well. I don't think either of those would benefit as much from the remake as FF7 will though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    All this stuff and Square Enix still won't give me FFX HD on Steam
    I'm guessing there's a continuing contract with Sony for it. That'd be my hunch anyway. They were fine to do the FF13 trilogy because that had been multiplatform anyway.