Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Remakes of Older IPs? Square Enix wants to remake your old games!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default More Remakes of Older IPs? Square Enix wants to remake your old games!

In Square Enix's fiscal report this year there was an important tidbit added in; a tidbit that many long time fans may be thoroughly excited about!

1. Revitalizing Existing IPs
    We will revitalize some of our strong IPs in ways that meet the needs of the modern gaming market.
    For example, we will take an IP developed for earlier generations of game consoles and recreate it
    for the latest consoles, while also proactively developing versions for play on smart devices. In
    addition, we will also explore possibilities involving VR (virtual reality) and other new platforms. We
    want our longtime fans to relish reliving past experiences with a freshness that only the latest in
    technology can provide, while at the same time have new customers enjoy the IP as though it were
    brand new. By not only optimizing single pieces of IP for single platforms but also rolling out IP in a
    multi-dimensional manner to meet the needs of the modern market, we believe we can deliver
    exciting new experiences.
    So Square Enix plans on remaking some older games to reach new audiences, and possibly use VR to do so!

What are you thoughts about this new remake mission? What games do you want them to remake and update?

Blog Entries

I like it since I haven't been very interested in anything new they've put out for quite a few years now.

I'd love to see some Saga games redone, specifically 1. Vagrant Story, FFT, FFVI and FF8 get my vote as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I want some Chrono games! Trigger preferably but if that leads to Cross as well, I can deal with the two of them.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Of all their games, Chrono Trigger is the one that least needs to be remade. It was pretty perfect exactly as it was.

FFVI with 3D models would be fun and I'd play the hell out of that one. Not super interested to see remakes of the other FFs. The older ones have been done to death and VII is coming. I guess the other PS1 games would be cool. Oh wait, there's the forgotten FF: V! Imagine FFV with essentially X-2's battle system, fast paced battles where you can chain attacks and switch jobs on the fly *drools*.

Vagrant Story is a great candidate although they could easily nerf the best (and most time consuming) aspects of it and make it terrible.

Really what I want to see most is a remaster of Seiken Densetsu 3 and have it finally released in the West. They can redo Secret of Mana while they're at it since it's an action game and fits well with current trends.

However, let's not ignore the third line of that quote. We'll probably just get a bunch of cell phone versions of these things and that's the 'remake'.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I would make fun of them for running out of ideas, but then I would have to make fun of everyone in Hollywood, and I just don't have the time. So I'll narrow it down.

Remember when Square set trends instead of following them?

Me neither.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh they are going to make new IPs too this was just part of a really long plan. It's linked in the first line if you want to check out. I just thought people would like the remake aspect the most.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Damn! I activated their trap card. "Online Assumption!"

-loses 800 life points-

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Spoiler cause it's long, but here's their "Way Forward" plan
    The Way Forward
    Our business environment is undergoing major changes. Sales of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are
    growing significantly, primarily in Europe and North America. At the same time, smart devices are
    becoming more advanced and more commonplace. As such, we are seeing an evolution in where
    and how we enjoy digital content. Moreover, as the term IoT (Internet of Things) suggests, everything
    around us is beginning to connect to the Internet. This is another trend that promises to create new
    experiences for us. We recognize that such changes are a constant feature of the landscape in
    which we do business, and based on that recognition, we maintain a constant goal: to deliver
    content of consistently high quality to customers around the world under the best conditions
    possible. We will continue to strive to attain that goal by engaging in research into the latest content
    and technologies, developing new business models, and cultivating new sales channels and regions.
    In addition, we will focus on the following initiatives in order to further strengthen and enrich our
    Group’s content and IP portfolios.

1. Revitalizing Existing IPs
    We will revitalize some of our strong IPs in ways that meet the needs of the modern gaming market.
    For example, we will take an IP developed for earlier generations of game consoles and recreate it
    for the latest consoles, while also proactively developing versions for play on smart devices. In
    addition, we will also explore possibilities involving VR (virtual reality) and other new platforms. We
    want our longtime fans to relish reliving past experiences with a freshness that only the latest in
    technology can provide, while at the same time have new customers enjoy the IP as though it were
    brand new. By not only optimizing single pieces of IP for single platforms but also rolling out IP in a
    multi-dimensional manner to meet the needs of the modern market, we believe we can deliver
    exciting new experiences.

2. Creating New IPs
    How to constantly generate new IPs and how to cultivate them are key business issues for any
    content provider. Once new content begins to take shape, it is vital to have an environment and
    mechanisms in place that help it grow into a major franchise. We intend to strengthen our efforts to
    sow the seeds of new content, and cultivate them constantly, and we will pursue a variety of avenues
    in order to do so. Our Group possesses many content platforms, including console games, smart
    device games, arcades, PC games, and comics. All of those platforms are capable of giving rise to
    new IPs. We see this as a strength of our Group that is unmatched by any competitor. We will work
    in the fiscal year ending March 2016 to ensure that these IP cultivation platforms give rise to new IPs
    for us to foster for the future.

3. Collaboration with Partner Companies
    As I mentioned above, we find ourselves in an age of change. Devices, business models, and the
    competition are constantly changing. This means that today’s assumptions may not apply tomorrow.
    In such an ever-changing environment, insisting on complete self-reliance does not strike us as the
    best approach to staying unique and highly adaptable. Instead, I believe it is more beneficial to remain
    flexible about forming partnerships with others. A willingness to seek in others what we lack is a better
    approach to growing our business in this age of uncertainty. As such, we will not rule out any possibility
    as we explore and execute collaborative initiatives ranging from joint collaborations focusing on a single
    product to business alliances of a wider scope. In so doing, we hope to capture earnings opportunities
    in a timely fashion and leverage them for our further growth.

4. Geographic Expansion
    The regions marked in red on the map below are those that the Square Enix Group has yet to enter.
    While the Internet has made the world more interconnected and less impeded by national
    boundaries, I believe that regional and individual tastes remain a major determinant of preferences
    for different types of content. Furthermore, as these untapped regions experience economic growth,
    their demand for content will mount, and their consumers will begin to want content rooted in the local
    culture rather than being satisfied solely with imports. As such, these regions have the potential to
    become major content-consuming markets in the future, which means it is important to establish a
    foothold there now. In the fiscal year ending March 2016, we will remain open to not only exporting
    existing content but also investing in local development efforts in these regions. We note also that
    economic growth in Asia remains strong and that the region continues to be a key market for us. In
    terms of size and technological development, Asia is now an advanced market rather than a growing
    one. In particular, China’s shift to mobile has been remarkable, and the country possesses some of the
    most advanced mobile game development technologies in the world. This makes collaborations and
    partnerships with Chinese companies very appealing, and we intend to approach such opportunities
    as an important part of taking on the competition not only in China itself but also in Japan and globally.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Mystic Quest should be remade. It was already kind of self-aware, they should take that and run with it. Get some funny writers onboard and make it a full blown parady/love letter to the series. Could replace the old man with S-Sha from Neptunia.

And there's always Setsuna

Remakes are very profitable these days - everybody knows that. :P
    Maybe it's weird, but I'd like to see the remake of... FFXII! *shocked*

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by TheZanmato View Post
    Remakes are very profitable these days - everybody knows that. :P
    Maybe it's weird, but I'd like to see the remake of... FFXII! *shocked*
    No, a lot of us have been clamoring for at least an HD remaster of XII for years.

If they could remake it without being so Vaan-centric in the beginning, that'd be great. Or just remove Vaan and stop pandering to 12 year old Japanese kids who don't like playing as mature characters because they're crazy, I wouldn't mind

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved Vaan. He's a sweet cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure, and must be protected.

Actually, I only care about the obnoxious "I'm Captain Basch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" scene

On par with FFX's laughing scene. Except that scene pretty much summed up the game, it didn't ruin anything that wasn't already questionable. Vaan actually ruined XII for me. But I can't swear that changing him would draw me back into the game. It's ship may have sailed. So I guess if people actually like him, then so be it. I just hate the knowledge that he was knowingly shoe-horned into the game because a few focus groups of Japanese kids couldn't handle a JRPG where you didn't play as a kid. So they added a kid

People forgot that you played as (young) adults in FF6 and 7. And if their focus group didn't play/enjoy those games, then they had the wrong focus group to begin with /rant