Thread: Marvel's Jessica Jones

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Watched 4 episodes of this and it's not for me. Too dark and gritty, Jessica is not a compelling main character, the main plot is too slow-moving, and the subplots are all boring.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm not surprised by that reaction. I've heard people either absolutely love it or meh, they aren't fans. Crazy how it's polarized like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There were subplots?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Exactly.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Watched 4 episodes of this and it's not for me. Too dark and gritty, Jessica is not a compelling main character, the main plot is too slow-moving, and the subplots are all boring.
    That's why my bf didn't like it. He prefers stuff like The Flash which is a bit lighter. I love dark and gritty though. The villain drove this more than the protagonist but that's pretty much the case with most Marvel entities. It didn't get really good to until about 5 episodes in but that's mostly because I was insanely confused. Now watching it in hindsight I can appreciate the first few episodes a lot more. I also love Krysten Ritter and the character Jessica Jones' dry asshole humor but good hearted nature. Literally me as a super hero minus the alcoholism.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I loved it. I would have liked more super powers, especially considering despite her super strength some weak nerd from down the hall knocked her out.

8/10 would watch season 2

Articles
    Blog Entries

I get the feeling they didn't have the budget for it. At least that much is true for how they changed her flying ability.

meh it was okay and had some good giggles. Flat ending.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I loved it. I would have liked more super powers, especially considering despite her super strength some weak nerd from down the hall knocked her out.

Having watched ten episodes currently, I have to agree. She's a woman with super-strength, and she gets knocked down easily by either a few guys with little stun sticks or a nerd girl with a plank of wood. Seriously? I could just about buy the first incidence, because she was outnumbered by like, 3-1, but the second one was almost laughable.

As for Jessica herself, she's engaging enough as a character. I still think she's fairly moody and sullen half the time, but she does come out with a few pithy remarks to make up for it. I find Kilgrave more compelling, to be honest.

Having watched up to the ten episodes, I have this gripe: Major episode ten spoilers!!Hope's death. I just didn't get it. She's free! She was released! Why the hell did she then just decide to off herself? The argument she did give: that Jessica could go after Kilgrave, was already achieved. Hope could just leg it away from New York for awhile and go under the radar, while Jessica dealt with Kilgrave. It all seemed odd. We had this ten episode build-up to Hope's release and then... she dies. All those wacky, barely held together plots Jessica had, for nothing.

Episode Nine spoilers, sub-plot spoilers My other gripe is the Hogarth divorce sub-plot. No-one is acting like a human being. The entire arc is almost cringworthy to watch at times, to be honest. Then Jessica gets involved and almost kills a woman by pushing her into a train, who only wanted more money in the settlement. And she's the protagonist. I find it somewhat of a distraction, to be honest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd be fairly moody too if I went through what she's went through.

She has super strength, but no enhanced endurance as far as I can tell. And while her strength is pretty great, it doesn't come close to a lot of the other heroes already established in the Marvel universe. She's more of a stronger human.

I can't really argue against the Episode Ten spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post

Having watched ten episodes currently, I have to agree. She's a woman with super-strength, and she gets knocked down easily by either a few guys with little stun sticks or a nerd girl with a plank of wood. Seriously? I could just about buy the first incidence, because she was outnumbered by like, 3-1, but the second one was almost laughable.
    Disagree. I actually think it's refreshing to have a Marvel protagonist with clear limitations. Why would superstrength make her a good fighter? I imagine she'll get some kind of martial arts training (from Trish maybe, or whoever taught Trish) after this season. She hasn't really had time recently what with all the Kilgrave trout going on.

As for Jessica herself, she's engaging enough as a character. I still think she's fairly moody and sullen half the time, but she does come out with a few pithy remarks to make up for it. I find Kilgrave more compelling, to be honest.
    Personally, I find her extremely compelling, although I agree that Kilgrave is also extremely compelling (despite the fact that he is the most wholly unsympathetic character I've ever come across).

Having watched up to the ten episodes, I have this gripe: Major episode ten spoilers!!Hope's death. I just didn't get it. She's free! She was released! Why the hell did she then just decide to off herself? The argument she did give: that Jessica could go after Kilgrave, was already achieved. Hope could just leg it away from New York for awhile and go under the radar, while Jessica dealt with Kilgrave. It all seemed odd. We had this ten episode build-up to Hope's release and then... she dies. All those wacky, barely held together plots Jessica had, for nothing.

Episode Nine spoilers, sub-plot spoilers My other gripe is the Hogarth divorce sub-plot. No-one is acting like a human being. The entire arc is almost cringworthy to watch at times, to be honest. Then Jessica gets involved and almost kills a woman by pushing her into a train, who only wanted more money in the settlement. And she's the protagonist. I find it somewhat of a distraction, to be honest.
    In regard to episode ten Episode ten spoilers I always had a feeling she would kill herself. And she wasn't free: Kilgrave was still alive. Hope was convinced that Jessica could never bring herself to kill Kilgrave while she (Hope) was in danger, and as long as Kilgrave is alive she'd ALWAYS be in danger. So, the only way to free Jessica to kill Kilgrave, as well as give her further motivation to kill him, was to remove herself from the equation

In regard to the Episode Nine spoilers and sub-plot spoilers... (SPOILER) Hogarth is a driven, selfish woman. She was always going to go too far. People like that do exist: she is acting like a human being. Jessica was in a REALLY bad place when the train thing happened, and she was never going to actually let that woman die. It seemed totally consistent with her character to me
    Last edited by Mr. Carnelian; 12-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm ok with dark and gritty. But Jessica Jones felt like... fake dark and gritty. Dark and gritty lite. Her constant chugging of alcohol and the fact that her apartment is messy and she walks with a slouch felt way too forced and contrived. Placeholders for "I AM TROUBLED" rather than true character development. There were some definite moments of dark horror, but it was given out in such tiny pieces that it got boring really fast. Granted, I only made it 4 episodes, but it was a slog to get even that far. I assume it picks up toward the end of the series but I couldn't get over the pacing and the acting. Krysten Ritter has always been terrible in my opinion, in everything she has ever appeared in, going back as far as Gilmore Girls to Breaking Bad, that Apartment show, and now this. She is just the worst.

Recent shows I've been watching include Mr. Robot and The Americans, both of which are really dark and gritty shows and both of which are just superb. In contrast, Jessica Jones definitely feels like amateur hour. Which is a shame because I loved Daredevil and I also would love to see more super hero ladies.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

See I super enjoy Krysten Ritter! I think she's been great in most everything I've seen her in. I guess it's just differing opinions and tastes with her as an actress.

I've finished AN episode. Then I went back to trying to finish Narcos, which is another fabulous Netflix original that you should all watch.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think Jessica Jones is a show that you'll either love, or just really struggle with. I'm in a odd position because I'm kinda experiencing both at the same time. I THINK I'll enjoy the second season more, as there will hopefully be less of the nonsense that is the divorce subplot, and the episodes won't be so driven solely by the main plotline. In all the action and drama that basically led us through episodes 7-13, there was barely any pause. 10 episodes in, I don't see much of a development in Jessica's character.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My only problem with the divorce subplot is it feels the show is trying to get us to sympathize with Harper, and I have no sympathy for her. She cheated. She honestly deserves every single complication her ex is giving her for being a cheating bitch and (SPOILER)when she ended up with neither the wife nor the mistress I literally hollered out "GOOD!" at my television screen.