Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is the gaming community so damn sexist?

Blog Entries

Default Why is the gaming community so damn sexist?

Help me figure this out, guys.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Define "the gaming community".

Probably because there are a lot of misogynistic men in it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Probably the same reason the rest of the world is sexist.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Though North American gaming is catching up, most gaming companies are Japanese. Japanese culture is very sexiest and also very subservient towards females. That would be my best guess.

Some men have this attitude that gaming has always been this men's only club and no women can join up. I'm sorry, but video games don't have a men's only sticker on them, they never have, and hopefully never will. Not to mention that Pac- Man was created for women, it was created for women in mind, because girls love food. If guys can enjoy and love love Pac- Man, then girls can enjoy a game about shooting down men with a giant machine gun in a army war base. It doesn't matter if a game was created for a certain gender in mind- men and women have a right to enjoy that game both in equal right. There's no men's only sticker or women's only sticker on video games. Stop acting like there is. If a girl wants to play Metal Gear Solid V then she has that right to do so. If a girl wants to play Sonic Adventure 2- she has a right to do so. If a girl wants to play Animal Crossing New Leaf then she has a right to do so.

/ gets off soapbox.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because women won't stop appropriating gamer culture.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Probably because there are a lot of misogynistic men in it.
    I think a lot of those guys are 30+ y.o. virgins who never touched a boob & never will, so they take their anger out on those w/ boobs.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

<<<----- Touched a boob before.

What's your evidence that it is?
    I've never seen much worse behaviour than you do in the general population.

There might be some issues caused by the fact that it's a male majority industry though (console and PC gaming at least).
    Whenever you have a demographic imbalance, you always get slightly different behaviour than you otherwise would.
    But that's not necessarily the same as those people being sexist. As someone who's worked in a female-dominated job for quite a few years, I assure you yet get the exact same kind of attitude in reverse (although it manifests differently between men and women).

A fairly common attitude you always find when one sex is the minority is that people in that minority are much more likely to be defined by that minority status. So you're more likely to hear things like "well you're pretty good....for a girl". If you wanna call that sexism then sure that exists but I see no evidence that it's worse in the games industry than anywhere else. It's also not exclusive to men. Women do that a lot too!

I would also suggest that there's no such thing as "the gaming community". Gaming is a very wide industry now. There really aren't many commonalities that are shared by the whole lot. You realize that when it comes to something like books of movies (you'd probably laugh at the phrase "the movie watching community") yet because you grew up with gaming (I assume) when it was a much smaller and distinct thing, it feels more homogenous. It's really not though. As many people have noticed, the kind of attitudes and culture you find are much more divided by gaming genre than they are by gaming as a whole. Putting the Call of Duty audience in the same category as the Final Fantasy audience is just a mistake.
    Last edited by Randy; 10-25-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    What do you mean?

There's lots of journalism about this and lots of movements and way too many anecdotes to try to say it's just this or it's just that. It's not only in game stores it's not only in call of duty or halo matches it bleeds everywhere. One of the things that bugs me the most is how guys in conventions of stores will quiz girls that express an interest in video games or role playing our card battles. Trying to get them to prove they aren't just pretending to like things to get nerdy guys to fawn over them. And I know I've heard stories from members here as well so it's not just in click bait articles or echo chamber reddit threads. I've never personally seen it but I won't deny it likely exists. And it is very sexist and very ingrained in gaming in a lot of places. As for why. I too presume it's embittered virgins lashing out at awesome girls they can't have or some such nonsense

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I find it fascinating and somewhat relevant we've had posts from three men who are gamers in their thirties eager to make sure, directly or indirectly, that we know they're totally not virgins because virgins are losers.

Is it so surprising that if you define someone's self worth by whether or not they've had sex they start lashing out when they fail to meet those standards? Do you think it is possible to purport to be against sexism and yet judge a person by whether they can "have" a woman or "touch a boob"? Do you not feel those same pressures in the back of your mind when you make sure a Final Fantasy forum full of strangers knows you've had sex?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What do you mean?
    He's joking

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    What do you mean?
    He's joking
    Oh, I did kinda think he was being sarcastic, but the lack of a reassuring emoji made me wonder.

Use or or more often!