Thread: Slowest internet speed needed

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Default Slowest internet speed needed

So I have this on my ps4. Right now I have 36mbs with charter but about to cancel since my two year contract is up and Im not shelling $70 a month for it. So im think of something from ATT UVERSE or whatever since no one else will do service where I live. So Im wondering how slow would i be able to go still run this on my ps4with no problems? Only thing else on my interent is mine and my wifes phone. Not worried about patch updates as I can just do those and leave my stuff on and go to bed.

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

You could run it on a 1-2mbit connection if you had nothing else to work with. It's really not very taxing on your line.

Latency is something that will cause you issues, but low line rate doesn't mean high latency so that would be something to bug your ISP about separately if it happens.

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    You could run it on a 1-2mbit connection if you had nothing else to work with. It's really not very taxing on your line.

Latency is something that will cause you issues, but low line rate doesn't mean high latency so that would be something to bug your ISP about separately if it happens.
    What kind of issues would it cause? The one Im probably gonna go for is a 6mb download speed. Would that be enough. I just dont want any lagging or anything that would affect my gameplay.
    Last edited by Spawn of Sephiroth; 11-01-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

FFXIV can run a very slow speed and be perfectly playable. When I was in Barcelona I played this no problem on a wifi that was on 30% pick-up, and the wifi itself was beyond crap. As long as it's steady you'll be fine, trust me.

EDIT: The reason why I said for it to be steady is because if you are running a dungeon for instance you'll suffer lagspikes or dc, but doing things solo it doesn't really matter at all, it'll just be a nuisance.

Str8 Pimpin'

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

It's important to note the difference between slow internet and high latency.

The speed of your internet is the maximum amount of data that can be downloaded in one second under optimal conditions. Under optimal conditions, a 6mbps connection will be able to transfer 6 megabits of information each second, for example. In an MMO, slow internet speed can typically lead to things taking a long time to load but generally they would have to be extremely slow to cause the game to become laggy and unresponsive.

The latency is the time that it takes for one packet of information to travel between your computer and the remote server. High latency can lead to the server taking a long time to respond to your keypresses, attacks hit you even though you moved out of range in time, you'll get spikes of lag where everything will stop moving and then "fast forward" into place after a few seconds.

Latency is the real killer when it comes to MMOs, not slow speed so you're best off enquiring to your ISP if you're worried about that. 6mbps is more than enough to play this game.

I know everyone has pretty much addressed the issue so far but I just wanted to mention that I use ATT Uverse and a PS4 and I have no problems at all. I even have a wireless connection between the PS4 and the router, and still no issues.