Thread: Favorite Real time strategy games?

Default Favorite Real time strategy games?

The Company of Heroes series does it for me. Love that game. Brings out the best of WWII in every way. What's your favorite RTS?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm a big blizz fan when it comes to RTSs. So the Warcrafts and Starcrafts. I also enjoyed the Age of games.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd have to say Star Craft is probably my favourite game in this genre (though primarily Star Craft 1, I have wings of liberty but it runs pretty bad on laptops so need to get my desktop going to really enjoy)

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 is the greatest ever made and I won't hear otherwise.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's a toss up between Tiberian Sun and StarCraft 2 for me. I think I lean more on the StarCraft 2 side.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I have long thought StarCraft Brood War is the greatest RTS game of all time. I don't think I can be convinced otherwise.

But runners up are WarCraft 2/3, Age of Empires II and C&C Red Alert II.

I'll break the mould and say Red Alert 1. I play it to this day and just last week me and a friend hooked up our PS1s and played Skirmish for about 8 hours. I'll never get tired of it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I have long thought StarCraft Brood War is the greatest RTS game of all time. I don't think I can be convinced otherwise.
    I'd agree story wise though SC2 plays so much better I have trouble loving Brood War more than it these days.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

WARHAMS 40K DAWN OF ORKS

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    WARHAMS 40K DAWN OF ORKS
    I forgot about Dawn of War because I haven't played it in bloody ages but YES, YES a thousand smurfing times YES.

The first Dawn Of War game and it's expansions were epic. So the maps weren't the most varied and the story beyond the original and winter assault simply consisted of pick an army, proceed to smash every other army in range to pieces until only you remain (pretty much there were very little intrigues in the story development for them) was amazing. I had endless hours of fun playing it though I did get bored in Soulstorm (I think mostly because they tried adding too many little modifiers and the new unit types were perhaps obviously overpowered as smurf) I still need to fire that one up and complete a game of it.

The second Dawn of War game and it's expacs definitely had more story development to them, I really like the squad management system too (nowt wrong with pulling together a massive army and smurfing trout up left right and centre but when that army is as selective in it's composition as say a Space Marine Chapter, it does feel kind of disappointing to have a massive army of faceless grunts whom don't seem to have any character to them or progression between battles despite lifespans measured in millenia of war) I only played the first expac for 2 and mean to buy the others when I get the chance but I kind of want to get a better computer first as this laptop I am running with atm is beginning to show it's age.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Any between Dungeon Keeper, Warzone 2100, Caesar 3, and Age of Empires 2.

Str8 Pimpin'

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    The Company of Heroes series does it for me. Love that game. Brings out the best of WWII in every way. What's your favorite RTS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I'm a big blizz fan when it comes to RTSs. So the Warcrafts and Starcrafts. I also enjoyed the Age of games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'd have to say Star Craft is probably my favourite game in this genre (though primarily Star Craft 1, I have wings of liberty but it runs pretty bad on laptops so need to get my desktop going to really enjoy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 is the greatest ever made and I won't hear otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    It's a toss up between Tiberian Sun and StarCraft 2 for me. I think I lean more on the StarCraft 2 side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post

But runners up are WarCraft 2/3, Age of Empires II and C&C Red Alert II.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I'll break the mould and say Red Alert 1. I play it to this day and just last week me and a friend hooked up our PS1s and played Skirmish for about 8 hours. I'll never get tired of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    WARHAMS 40K DAWN OF ORKS
    I forgot about Dawn of War because I haven't played it in bloody ages but YES, YES a thousand smurfing times YES.

The first Dawn Of War game and it's expansions were epic. So the maps weren't the most varied and the story beyond the original and winter assault simply consisted of pick an army, proceed to smash every other army in range to pieces until only you remain (pretty much there were very little intrigues in the story development for them) was amazing. I had endless hours of fun playing it though I did get bored in Soulstorm (I think mostly because they tried adding too many little modifiers and the new unit types were perhaps obviously overpowered as smurf) I still need to fire that one up and complete a game of it.

The second Dawn of War game and it's expacs definitely had more story development to them, I really like the squad management system too (nowt wrong with pulling together a massive army and smurfing trout up left right and centre but when that army is as selective in it's composition as say a Space Marine Chapter, it does feel kind of disappointing to have a massive army of faceless grunts whom don't seem to have any character to them or progression between battles despite lifespans measured in millenia of war) I only played the first expac for 2 and mean to buy the others when I get the chance but I kind of want to get a better computer first as this laptop I am running with atm is beginning to show it's age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Any between Dungeon Keeper, Warzone 2100, Caesar 3, and Age of Empires 2.
    Okay... this is the first thread I can ever recall agreeing with literally everyone in, so okay.

Also: Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations. And the first Empire Earth was p. great.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the only rts I remember playing is age of mythology. I really loved that game and would be interested in continuing with the genre, but never knew where would be best to look. I wish there was digital distribution for the Warcraft games because those have always looked fun to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've just started C&C Red Alert 2; I'm finding it difficult but I'm sure I'll get the knack of it... eventually...

I've played Empire Earth I and Empire Earth II, and they're both pretty good! When it comes to RTS games, I'm more of a fan of the building and planning element rather than the actual fighting. I guess I'm more of a Sims City kind of guy, which is why I like games which have a focus on non-military considerations.

If it counts, the 'Total War' games are some of my favorites. I've just re-bought Rome: Total War and I'm enjoying the strategy. It's like a huge game of Risk, I love it! The military element I tend to skip (or play if it's obvious I'm going to win) but the town planning and people management and diplomacy I like.