Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobuo Uematsu is not working on the remake.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*yawn* Nobuo Uematsu is not working on the remake.

According to an interview for a French gaming news outlet
    , Nobuo has said that he is not involved with the VII remake.

Nobuo Uematsu's involvement with the series has off and on again since going independent and forming his own music company SMILE back in the early 00s. Since then he has composed mainly ballad style songs a few compositions for the mainline series. His last full work on a Final Fantasy was for Final Fantasy XIV. He also did the composition for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

In the years since going independent, Uematsu has lend his talents as a composer to other studios and musical artists like Mistwalker, Emiko Shiratori, and RIKKI.

It will be interesting to learn who has been tasked with taking up the monumental task of FFVII Remake's composition, and to learn if it will simply be updated arrangements of the classic soundtrack or whether it may feature some new musical scores by new artists.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I bet outs gonna be Ishimoto. He's been responsible for most of the compilation's music, and I think he's done a decent job.

I'd bet Ishimoto as well, although outside odds would be on Shimomura. I think it depends on how much of the 'main franchise entry' treatment they give it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

While disappointing, I'm wondering if there will be any original music composed for the game. Regardless of if so or if not, how many of the original tracks will remain in the game and how will they be remixed/remastered? I can't imagine masterpieces like One-Winged Angel or Aerith's Theme being removed from the game entirely. That would be suicide to their fanbase.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I'd bet Ishimoto as well, although outside odds would be on Shimomura. I think it depends on how much of the 'main franchise entry' treatment they give it.
    I think Shimomura might be too busy, what with FFXV, KHIII and probably a lot of other titles everywhere. She's been in everything lately.

And I don't think we should be worried about tracks disappearing. We'll get a rearranged OST, I bet, and probably some new tracks. But other than that, I'm really not worried about this.

It'd be interesting to see Hamauzu do those big orchestrations he does for his soundtracks, though Still, not sure his distinct style would fit this game, so I think it really would be for the best for Ishimoto to take care of it.

Yeah I really hope Hamauzu doesn't have anything to do it. He's good at what he does, I just don't think what he does is right for FFVII.

The Kingdom Hearts II.5 ReMIX version of One-Winged Angel was fantastic in my eyes ... or ears. It is a pity that Uematsu-san is not here to do it but other people will also do a great job. Basically the original Orchestra version - which also in Dissidia - is enough. But I am sure they will make it even more perfect. I am more worried about Still more fighting. That is the track that I think can be messed up easier (though they could ask for the The Black Mages version) and - for God's sake, do not replace Those Chosen by the Planet during the moments it needs to be, not in one scene. It is Sephiroth's theme and people need to know that.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 11-10-2015 at 02:19 PM.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm really hoping there won't be any copyright issues or other problems that prevent them re-using Uematsu's scores. Updating instrumentation and new interpretations would be one thing; it'd be quite another matter if they had to re-write every track and replace them all with something that just hints at the original.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I'm really hoping there won't be any copyright issues or other problems that prevent them re-using Uematsu's scores. Updating instrumentation and new interpretations would be one thing; it'd be quite another matter if they had to re-write every track and replace them all with something that just hints at the original.
    Keiji Inafune created Mega Man. He left Capcom, but they still own Mega Man, and continue to make that franchise bite the pillow, The Capcom Way.™

Of course we're talking about a soundtrack but I think music is handled the same. Especially since FFVII music pops up in spin-offs like KH and Dissidia all the time.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

True. Uematsu doesn't own it - Sqyare Enux does. Uematsu's been a freelancer for years, and yet Theatrhythm exists.

Not only does Square Enix own the music, they always credit him for being the one who originally made it (as it has to be) and in an interview (I don't know but I think it was from this year) in which that one guy who also interviewed Sakaguchi-san at PAX interviewed him, they talked about how it is when his music is used and there was no real problem with that. Also Sakaguchi-san, Uematsu-san, all those people just do no longer work mainly for Square. They still like the company and are friends with many of them, especially those who where part of Square even before the fusion.

It's a shame that Uematsu isn't in some way involved, even from a distant consulting position - in fact it would have been a nice thing to see all the old gang that is no longer with Square come back to do something whether small or big. It feels like FF7 is that kind of IP that should bring them back together.

Anyways, I had always imagined the soundtrack to be re-done by an orchestra (see Fulfilled Desire as a perfect example) though I'm sure they'll probably be more experimental with it. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what they do, whether good or bad.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I think they should get Katy Perry, the cousin of Rick Perry, to compose the music.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Given how much time passed I wouldn't have expected too many of the old crew on the project, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It should be fine. They have the old score to work off of and I hope it ends up being new takes on the older themes rather than an entirely original score. You don't really need Uematsu there to remaster his old stuff.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum