Thread: Drop that loot you thief!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ZOMG! Drop that loot you thief!

It feels like more RPGs have really turned to looting systems with games also adding in crafting systems, but even all the way back to D&D we had random drops given out by GMs and older JRPGs love their super rare drops. So what are your thoughts on random drops, stealing items off enemies and loot systems in general in the genre. Are they the best part of the games? Overexposed in the genre? Great when the game calls for it? Or are they the bane of the genre?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't really have any strong feelings towards loot. If I find loot in a game I'm gonna grab it since that's kind of the point, so it fulfills its purpose. But I can't say they make or break the whole genre.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Man, loot-based games like Diablo are the best. I need to start playing D3 again. Maybe I should play it right now.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

The old school loot system like Fynn said is great. if you know you will forever be able to get the best thing in seconds bye pick pocketing a NPC takes the fun out of it. Where is the excitement and frustration of... Is this the battle I will succeed?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I don't enjoy games with stealing. It makes me feel like I have to slow the speed of my progress in order to waste turns and actually steal something before killing the thing. Crafting systems are okay in the right medium. I don't mind them in an MMO, but they feel out of place in something like Skyrim, and shouldn't belong at all in other games. I like it when monsters drop loot as long as there isn't weight limits to the amount of stuff you can carry. I hate it in games like Fallout where you get slowed down for carrying too much stuff.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love stealing from bosses and enemies and I much prefer that to random drops since the steal rate is usually higher than the drop rate, and trying to find that specific encounter you need over and over again gets tedious.

I hate random loot systems though, particularly with treasure chests. If there is a rare item to find in a chest I want to find it exactly where it is supposed to be and not have to settle for some junk or keep resetting my game for the right item.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In the case of games built around just killing trout for loot (Diablo, Monster Hunter, and MMORPGs for example) I find that it is perfectly fine to have such a system. It's pretty much part of the core gaming experience. I'm less forgiving in other mediums but it largely depends from game to game. Does the game have a huge crafting system? Then it's okay unless the mechanic isn't terribly good.

I don't care for the mechanics in JRPGs because I just don't feel like developers know how to do them right. Take the more recent DQ games as an example. DQVIII has a pretty neat crafting mechanic that makes use of all that old equipment you get. It was a pretty cool mechanic that had you being more careful about what you should sell or drop from your inventory. DQIX on the other hand has the same mechanic but it's kind of a nightmare as it's easily five times larger in content, really forces you to grind those drops in a franchise known for its unforgivably low drop rate, and takes out a good chunk of it's user friendly mechanics such as the alchemy pot being stuck in one location now instead of traveling with you and the game kind of requiring you to use it to upgrade to better gear since decent gear becomes harder to come across in shops and dungeons as you get farther in.

With that said, I love stealing from enemies and I'm cool with that.

I've yet to find a game where I enjoy the looting. Fallout is a prime example of this - exploring is great, but feeling the need to explore every nook and cranny​ on the off-chance of loot is just annoying as hell.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I don't enjoy games with stealing. It makes me feel like I have to slow the speed of my progress in order to waste turns and actually steal something before killing the thing. Crafting systems are okay in the right medium. I don't mind them in an MMO, but they feel out of place in something like Skyrim, and shouldn't belong at all in other games. I like it when monsters drop loot as long as there isn't weight limits to the amount of stuff you can carry. I hate it in games like Fallout where you get slowed down for carrying too much stuff.
    As far as the Elder Scrolls go I think Morrowind was the best for crafting because the entire idea was that you could break the game by making an enchanted ring that could turn you into an invincible flying god or whatever. It wasn't the most intuitive system ever but Bethesda just let you roll with it and do whatever you wanted and I thought it was great.

Looting is a nice touch in the game when it goes along with common/rare drop system, because I hate randomization.

You know, I'm playing Tales of Xillia at the moment. 2nd playthrough. Great game.

I'm torn by the loot system. I love the way you invest the materials you gather in the shops in order to level them up, unlock new items and get discounts. It means absolutely nothing you pick up is wasted. On the other hand, the actual act of wandering around the edges of some very boring overworld environments is a real chore.

Blog Entries

As with many things, I prefer the best of both. Nabbing stuff from treasure chests is always fun, but being able to get that coveted weapon earlier from a boss is great (the latter being great in FF9 that is). I don't care to steal from ordinary monsters though.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Saying Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games should tell you my opinion of loot.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen