Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, you got a baby on your hands, so I don't think that's a big achievement

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, I'm back! After a long break! FFIII! Yay

So I'm around the gnome village now, leveling up a bit. Ingus and Luneth have temporarily become black mages. We'll see how that goes.

Blog Entries

Relm

I thought this day........would never come again

I'm not really gonna be able to discuss a lot until you get to V so......you know.....full sail ahead and everything.

Blog Entries

You could just copy and paste Midgar Mist and FF6 into this thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So yesterday was a Sunday. That means I have a big update.

So basically, I am now up to Salonia. All my characters are level 26 and, surprisingly enough, I have not encountered any serious problems yet. There were a couple of points where I had to grind for a bit - the Nepto temple, for example, because I needed thunder for my two new black mages, and later Molten Cave because Ihad trouble killing Salamander. And now I'm going to spend just a teeny tiny bit of time grinding because I just made everyone into dragoons and the adjustment phase for Refia, for example, is ten battles.

Story-wise, surprisingly, not much has happened. I mean, Desch went and blew himself up because it was his destiny or something, but that let us cross further with the Enterpriss - the ship that the Vikings gave us. So then we beat up Gutsco and tried to take back the horn of ice, but it turned out he wasn't actually dead and was following us, and stole both horns and wanted to do something with the fire crystal. So we beat him up, and then we beat Hein up, stopping that giant floating tree, and then Cid made the Enterprise into an airship! Yay!

So we could finally go down to the surface, only to see it all engulfed by darkness, save for three small islands. There we woke up Aria, the water vestal, who took us to the water temple. She was a really cool addition to the party because of her free protect and cura which really made things easier. But then kraken killed her and everyone was sad Still, two crystals in one day was quite the achievement!

So then we wake up three days later to find out some dude has our boat chained up to the shore and, would you believe it, he also has the earth crystal! So we do some stuff with some four old guys who think they're Light Warriors (talk about wrong genre savvy - in FF, heroes of legend can't be older than 20), and we can go and take on Goldar with surprisingly little effort! Still, he's a sore loser so instead of just dying, he breaks the earth crystal so we can't take it

So then we fly around and end up in Salonia where they just blow our ship to pieces and that's just totally rude! I've always hated this place...

Okay, so aside from the dragoon thing, my current jobs are Monk, White Mage, Geomancer and Viking. Luneth isn't a DK yet because I can't buy him any gear, and so far the Monk's been pretty great. Ingus is great as a Viking- fantastic offense and defense, and Provoke has really helped protect my guys from dying. Refia as a Geomancer is just phenomenal and I have no idea why I haven't tried this class before. Super strong spells for free. Thanks for the recommendation, Wolf Kanno!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad you're enjoying Geomancer, it's pretty OP in the DS version, I wouldn't suggest using it in the original though.

DK gear doesn't really show up until towards the end I'm afraid. Even with it, they're still the melee equivalent of glass cannons though. Course the class works really well with Vikings. Have you played with the Bard or Evoker yet?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No I haven't, but I think I'm good. I kinda wanna breeze through this game, so I want my job levels in my proper jobs. ASAP.

As far as I know, the DK can also equip some regular armor you could buy back on the floating continent, so I'll probably change Luneth once we get the Nautilus. At least then he won't go around walking naked

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I got the Nautilus and upgraded it so it can go underwater and there's this cave underneath Saronia that I'm leveling up in for a while because the exp yield is really good and the battles aren't half bad (also, I have Raise now. Yay!). But is there anything else here? Is this where Odin is?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, triple post, but whatever. i have some more little things I wanted to say.

-Three airships in this game and not one can reliably fly over everything. This always bugged me here. I get that the mountains being too high to fly over are the way they chose to go over sequence breaking in a way that would allow you the use of an airship earlier, but quite frankly, I think it's incredibly limiting and would much prefer to walk on foot for longer and get an airship that would actually let me feel the freedom that other airships do. I mean, I can get to the smurfing flying continent, but no, those mountains are just way too high.

-The personal drama they tried to add... didn't really work out, to be honest. We have Refia low-key crushing on Desch, and then Arc having that thing with Prince Alus. I get it was built-up a bit, what with Arc being bullied before so now he kinda wants to protect Alus from bullies, but it's like two scenes so it makes me feel nothing and contributes nothing to the story or Arc's character, uh, arc, so what was the point?

-The numbers baffle me. According to the on-screen information, the monk should be dealing more damage with no weapons equipped, but then I equip two sets of knuckles and the actual damage in battle is much bigger than it was, despite the score on the character screen being lower? What is even up with that?

-In general, while the I and II remakes improved much on the clarity side of things, III remains just this vague thing that tells you nothing. You don't even get proper job descriptions aside from that obne guy at the inn who is next to useless because he can only tell you what jobs you currently have, so the adjustment period prevents him from being the least bit helpful. I get wanting to preserve the old school feel, but I don't think that would be totally lost on us if we had a UI that was just more clear and helpful, especially since the game isn't pulling any punches, unlike I and II.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad this is back!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Okay, triple post, but whatever. i have some more little things I wanted to say.

-Three airships in this game and not one can reliably fly over everything. This always bugged me here. I get that the mountains being too high to fly over are the way they chose to go over sequence breaking in a way that would allow you the use of an airship earlier, but quite frankly, I think it's incredibly limiting and would much prefer to walk on foot for longer and get an airship that would actually let me feel the freedom that other airships do. I mean, I can get to the smurfing flying continent, but no, those mountains are just way too high.
    Yeah, it's a weird way to bottleneck the game. IV Handled it a bit better.

-The personal drama they tried to add... didn't really work out, to be honest. We have Refia low-key crushing on Desch, and then Arc having that thing with Prince Alus. I get it was built-up a bit, what with Arc being bullied before so now he kinda wants to protect Alus from bullies, but it's like two scenes so it makes me feel nothing and contributes nothing to the story or Arc's character, uh, arc, so what was the point?
    One of my bigger gripes with the remake. I honestly preferred the nameless four, and it's obvious from both versions the story is written that way.

-The numbers baffle me. According to the on-screen information, the monk should be dealing more damage with no weapons equipped, but then I equip two sets of knuckles and the actual damage in battle is much bigger than it was, despite the score on the character screen being lower? What is even up with that?
    They most likely fixed that "trick" with the monks for the remake. I attest that the original holds true to not giving Monks weapons is the way to go.

-In general, while the I and II remakes improved much on the clarity side of things, III remains just this vague thing that tells you nothing. You don't even get proper job descriptions aside from that one guy at the inn who is next to useless because he can only tell you what jobs you currently have, so the adjustment period prevents him from being the least bit helpful. I get wanting to preserve the old school feel, but I don't think that would be totally lost on us if we had a UI that was just more clear and helpful, especially since the game isn't pulling any punches, unlike I and II.
    Honestly it is better if you've played the original. While I don't care about the in-game "job description" aspect since that never appeared in the series until FFTactics, the UI is better about explaining equipment and job stat changes than the original. Even then, I would argue FFIII Original did a better job on this point than FFIV original. Honestly, I like that the game does more to keep some of the old school "experimenting" aspect as opposed to the more streamlined presentations of other Remakes, especially since this game didn't need it as much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just encountered a Boss-In-Mook-Clothing Behemoth. Almost died of a heart attack.

Now everyone is level 35 and I just got Unei - we're going to get the Invincible! Level-wise, think Ik doing okay

Blog Entries

I only got as far as that powerful woman attacking me to put me to the test......owch

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do you mean Unei? Because I haven't reached that point yet. And that's actually the final stretch of the game. So if that's the case, you gave up really close to the end