Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6162021222324252627282930313236 ... LastLast

Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aqualung is great against Reno and Rude if you learnt it from the Harpy near Corel prison.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Nope!

There was a harpy there? Huh.
    You need the buggy to encounter them, just ride it around the desert until you encounter one. The more important thing to pick up was the Laser Enemy Skill from the Deathclaws in Corel Prison, cause it's impossible to get back there and you won't encounter an enemy to learn it until the final dungeon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, too late for that since we're going into Gongaga right now!

Ain't no stoppin' this train we're on, boys!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always found Gongaga to be a rather strange location - after the Golden Saucer, but before the great Cosmo Canyon segment. It sorta seemed sandwiched between these great story sections, and I always forget about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Idk, I actually like Gongaga more. It's at least relevant to the story, since this is the first thing that suggests that there's more to Zack than being Aerith's ex. CC is pretty boring, really.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the atmosphere of Cosmo Canyon so I'll have to disagree on that. Plus the part where they just sit around the fire is what kind of sets off the whole introspective 'why am I even a part of this team' question that comes to a head in one of my all-time favorite FF scenes, the scene at the end of Disc 2 where Cloud asks everyone to go to their loved ones and homes and think about why they're still here, fighting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just hate Cosmo Canyon because for a long time I had a bootleg copy of the game that would crash once you got to the planetarium

I enjoyed the Seto part, though

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just got the Fairy Tale staff for Aerith and I loooove that it has so many material slots. This works because she's my Mage/summoner, so she needs dem slots!

Also, I'm actually... not enjoying material as much as I remember. It takes extremely long to level everything up, and I'm really missing the stat variety that the espers provided. I also miss the complexity and convenience of the Junction system (such as being able to just transfer one person's settings to another - that's an awesome thing that would work here because you're always only using three members at once anyway, and I like to transfer material to my active party so it levels up quicker).

In all, playing this game has really made me eager to play VIII

Articles
    Blog Entries

(such as being able to just transfer one person's settings to another - that's an awesome thing that would work here because you're always only using three members at once anyway, and I like to transfer material to my active party so it levels up quicker).
    You mean something like the Exchange submenu in the Materia menu? Where you can exchange single materia, single lines (weapons/armor) of materia and entire character setups? Yeah that exists =P

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    (such as being able to just transfer one person's settings to another - that's an awesome thing that would work here because you're always only using three members at once anyway, and I like to transfer material to my active party so it levels up quicker).
    You mean something like the Exchange submenu in the Materia menu? Where you can exchange single materia, single lines (weapons/armor) of materia and entire character setups? Yeah that exists =P
    It still takes clicking through the menu twice to do so whereas I remember Junction being a simple one click.

I'm with Fynn, Cosmo Canyon is a bit boring since Red XIII is more of a novelty character and his story was a bit predictable even back in 97. I enjoy Bugenhagen's scene explaining the Lifestream better but overall I find the whole place to be tedious. It doesn't help that Disc 1 doesn't really pick up again until you reach Nibelheim and the mindsmurf of seeing the town rebuilt, from there the whole disc goes by pretty quickly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, with Exchange you still have to transfer the materia one by one. With Junction you could just copy one character's entire setup to another. Super convenient.

Anyway, got through Cosmo Canyon and about to enter Nibelheim. I actually had to beat the Cave of the Gi twice because the game crashed for me once. I escaped from one battle and got right into another, only the battle theme from the old one was still playing alongside the new one, so it all sounded pretty bad, and then after the results screen came up it all just crashed completely.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Time for another controversial opinion!

I actually think the first Nibelheim visit is more interesting than the flashback.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's also pretty funny with all these cloaked figures saying stuff like "m...must go... to Reunion" when the first thing that comes to mind is like a high school reunion