Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9192324252627282930313233343539 ... LastLast

Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    THis is a marathon, sweetie. I have no time to waste
    *Fmarathon

Articles
    Blog Entries

Those are some yellow numbers on that screen, Fynn.

Anyway, FFVIII. One of those games I've wanted to play, but I'm not sure how I'd feel playing it. I'm not a fan of the junction system from what I hear. Doesn't it basically relegate magic to boosting your stats, as opposed to... you know, using it?

Honest question Fynn: how does the earlier Final Fantasies treat magic compared to some of the later instalments? In some of the Final Fantasies I've played, magic was either inferior to physical attacks or more awkward to use. Like FFXII: great combat system, but I never particularly used magic all that often as it has a charge time AND a special 'command queue' thing. FFX was very good in balancing magic and physical attacks, up until endgame, where it loses out to physicals.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The numbers are yellow because I got in the finishing blow right after a Super Nova, which always reduces your HP to 1/16 of your current amount

Magic is everything in VI. That's why if you take the time to teach everyone every spell, you are completely and utterly invincible. IV was cool in that magic had a charge time but was really powerful, so there was a nice balance. V did away with the charge time but added the Time Magic school for the first time, so that was interesting.

Junction is awesome, honestly. And of course you can use magic normally as well, even if it's not really optimal to do so. But summons are pretty broken so they make up for that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, guys - some tips on not missing GFs and getting the best weapons asap, please!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Also, guys - some tips on not missing GFs and getting the best weapons asap, please!
    Apparently you can abuse Triple Triad to card mod some ingredients to get the best weapon for Squall, but you'd have to consult a guide for that. As for the GFs? I don't know. Use a guide?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And Squall totally reminds me of my brother as he is right now. He's about the same age, similar hair, and the limited responses like "I guess" are pretty much how he talks. I also pretty much always pick the nicer dialogue choices, so the similarity is a bit bigger than it would have been otherwise

You're going to need screws and steel pipes for pretty much everything you're going to want. So when you encounter Wendigos, fight a bunch of them and get as many steel pipes as possible. You also need 6 steel pipes to get Doomtrain so get 10 or so. Geezards give you screws.

Card mod and Mug will assist you in your goals.

GFs are mostly hard to miss but you will need to remember to DRAW them from the following battles:

- Siren. Draw from Elvoret at the communications tower during the Dollet mission.
    - Carbuncle. Draw from the Iguions in Deling City during the parade.
    - Leviathan. DRAW-FROM-THAT-NO-GOOD-NORG
    - Pandemona. Draw from Fujin in Balamb.
    - Alexander. Draw from Edea during Garden battle.
    - Eden. Draw from Ultima Weapon in the deep sea research center.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just make sure you always draw from bosses to not miss some of the GFs, even then, it's possible to get them in the final dungeon if you do miss them, but most of the GFs are easy to obtain with the possible exception of Doomtrain since he requires picking up certain items and taking it to a certain place.

Squall's weapons are the only ones that really matter since the upgrades for the others are minor compared to how important Junction is. Whereas Squall's Limit Breaks are directly tied to his weapon. All you need for weapons are the ingredients for the upgrade, you don't even need the Weapon's Monthly issue to unlock them.

Honestly, while there are several smaller quests you can easily miss out on, the game is really good about not missing any gameplay opportunities, so I wouldn't really stress it. What you should be focusing on is doing the Library Girl sidequest for Zell, or rescuing the kid from the train in Timber, or getting more backstory from the Mayor of FH. Those are the things that are easy to miss.

Oh, and remember to look around for all the Weapons Monthly magazines. You can only build better weapons if you've found the magazine it's in. Absolutely make sure you don't miss the First Edition.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looking forward to FVIII as well! I'll be jumping ship again when you reach FFIX though

I assume you won't be doing much Triple Triad? Just gonna motor on through?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Oh, and remember to look around for all the Weapons Monthly magazines. You can only build better weapons if you've found the magazine it's in. Absolutely make sure you don't miss the First Edition.
    You don't actually need the magazine, just the ingredients, though the magazine does tell you what the ingredients are, so they are super useful if you're not bothering with a guide.

Also, Ray Bomb is one of the hardest Blue Magic spells to get for Quistis, because it's a rare item that only drops from a certain enemy when they are a certain level. So if you happen to be poorly leveled, you'll need the Lv. Up/Down abilities and some scan spells to finally get it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

lol just lost all my cards. All of them.

Does that answer your question, Bub?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You don't actually need the magazine, just the ingredients, though the magazine does tell you what the ingredients are, so they are super useful if you're not bothering with a guide.

Also, Ray Bomb is one of the hardest Blue Magic spells to get for Quistis, because it's a rare item that only drops from a certain enemy when they are a certain level. So if you happen to be poorly leveled, you'll need the Lv. Up/Down abilities and some scan spells to finally get it.
    Eeehhhh, sou desu ka?

I must have been remembering wrong. I thought they never appeared in the shops until you found the magazine... It has been a couple of years since I played FFVIII though.

Note to self: rectify this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The weapon shows up if you have the necessary resources even if you don't have the magazine; how else do you think people get the Lion Heart on Disc 1? =P

For your own sanity and for the sake of some game balance, always have a character focus on attacking. It'll limit your drawing rate significantly.