Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 591011121314151617181920212535 ... LastLast

Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You get to save between the two dungeons.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are you sure? Because from the two times I played this version, I don't think that's the case

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It might help if you referred to it as the Crystal Tower and World of Darkness, yes you can't save between those two without leaving the dungeon, but it is possible to actually beat all of the bosses except CoD, leave, save, and come back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I've tried to do that but failed.

But you're saying I can actually teleport out? Because that would be a game changer

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So guess what happened

(Sorry the pic is blurry - the Cloud of Darkness dying animation was surprisingly short, so I had one take)

Also, Wolf, you lied. Teleport stopped working after defeating Xande

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some final thoughts on FFIII:

- the encounter rate was actually great? People keep complaining about the encounter rate in this, but really, it's not that bad, and I think it might actually be better than FFII's. Also, don't know if this is a mechanic or just a coincidence, but it seemed like the higher my level was, the lower the chance of encountering enemies.

- end game grinding took no effort at all and I had no problem going from level 48 to 55 in a relatively short time. Due to my job combination, I also got to grind a few levels on my way up the Crystal Tower, as I wasted no MP and Terrain skills usually one-hit-KO'd the enemies.

- really, with the right job combination, this game isn't that bad. It's just a matter of knowing which jobs to use, which you basically need a guide for that, because the way the game is structured it actually discourages experimentation, which is like the last thing you would want in a game with a job system.

- the ending sequence was actually really short compared to FFI and II, which surprised me!

- overall, I actually really enjoyed this playthrough of FFIII. Be it because of the interesting job combination or just my sheer determination to finish it quickly, I came out of this liking III more than I did before!

So, starting FFIV today! I am so excited! This game is love!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Porom and Rosa da best

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So far, wow, the direction of the cutscenes is just stellar. It's like, there's actual cinematography that plays a role in the storytelling, especially in the scene where Rosa talks to Cecil in his tower with the way the light is used to reflect Cecil's inner conflict. Amazing.

Also, I love how Cecil and Rosa are a couple from the beginning. There's no "will they or won't they" or "meet cute" - they're just a couple, they love each other, and they're adorable. Incredible how THAT's refreshing nowadays.

So anyways; just started. King is mad that we're not happy with how we steal stuff from innocent oppressed nations, so of course we're demoted and have to carry the Carnelian Signet to the remote village of Mist. Luckily, Cecil's buddy Kain is there to lend a helping hand!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    As usual, PAL regions get a better cover artwork.
    The US gets more games.

In terms of FF3 I only ever played the DS version. FF4, 5 and 6 were PS1 SNES Hijacks. I'm still planning on getting a PSP to play 1 and who knows? Maybe I shall attempt 3 again, so long as I take to heart every word you and Fynn have posted.

Wait...youre on 4 now Fynn? You work fast. (i really should read everything before i post)
    Last edited by Midgar Mist; 05-19-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

PROGRESS REPORT!

- So I left Baron for the Mist Cave. The town didn't really have any interesting things, but what the hey. With the washed palette and rocky architecture, it all makes me think of Spain and the heat I encountered in Barcelona. So I'm gonna go with that. Baron is Spain.

- I forgot about Namingway's adventures! So turns out he can't change my name, so he has an existential crisis and starts doing other things. As Mappingway, he gave me the magic minimap for dungeons which is just super swell!

- Mist Cave was quite easy though I'm quite surprised at how many potions I have to use. Also, having Darkness instead of the usual Souleater is a noticeable nerf for Cecil. The big groups of enemies that can slow and blind you are just a big nuisance when you can't just spam that one attack that deals damage to all.

- So the Carnelian Signet did the thing and the whole village got torched. Welp. So we try to take Rydia but she's like "nuh-uh, you killed my mom, you're gonna get squished by Titan" and she causes a big continental shift that moves the mountain range. Kain is nowhere to be found.

- Have I already mentioned how adorable baby Rydia is in this version?

- Other than that, went to Kaipo, found Rosa unconscious, she gave me the Auto-Potion augment, then I went to get the sand pearl. Passed the Underground Waterway with the help of Tellah, Damcyan got attacked by Golbez, You Spoony Bard!, yadda yadda yadda.

- So now I'm exploring the Antlion's Den. Edward is actually very useful with all those songs of his and I'm so glad they made him so because I always liked him as a character. Also, hello Sam Riegek, my voice twin!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

aw you cant change the names guess Cecil wont be Johnny then...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, guys, there's this weird optical illusion going around the Internet that people just can't agree on regarding Cecil's outfit.

Is it white and gold, or black and blue?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a Monday! And you know what that means

A WEEKEND MIRACLE-GRADE UPDATE!!

So yeah, I got as far as getting Edge and actually beating Rubicante. I won't be doing a full recap of events because pretty much everyone here remembers this game's plot, so I'll just go over some highlights.

- The game is much easier than I remember. This might be because I came in straight after III and not after a different version of IV, so I'm more used to just fighting every battle, so I didn't even have to grind to teach Float and Reflect to Rosa. It might also be because I'm using a lot of Augments.

- Speaking of Augments, Kain using Cry is hilarious. He just starts the battle by moping and that lowers the defense of enemies. "You guys, Rosa doesn't love me, sob sob." Gets me every time.

- While Rydia with Fast Talker and MP+50% is a beast. Rosa has Dualcast, but it's really Pray that makes her stand out because Rydia barely loses any MP thanks to her. I just love how they boosted Pray in this game because it was near useless in the original.

- I also had Tellah use Tsunami in the Magus Sister battle a lot. That really helped the battle go down faster.

- The voiced cutscenes are actually all really well done! It's really amazing how a little bit of body language and good voice work can really have some scenes carry so much more weight than the original's presentation.

- That said, the scenes outside of cutscenes can be pretty awkward. The goblins just go to set up the cannon and disappear, despite the fact you've already beaten them in battle. And it's kinda weird that it's no longer Golbez's disembodied hand that grabs the Crystal. But then again, perhaps that's a change for the better.

- Oh dear Lord, are the fake-out deaths corny. But then again, the voiced scene where Tellah dies is actually all the more powerful thanks to the comparison.

- I'm also having no problem buying stuff. Seriously, was I having problems before because I just wasn't battling enough? And I'm still not fighting as many battles as in FFIII!

- Speaking of that, I forgot how well-paced this game is. In FFIII everything was just going from dungeon to dungeon, stopping for a bit in each one to grind some levels. Here, you go from story event to story event, each of which matters, and you really don't need to grind in-between because the levels just come naturally.

Overall, this is super fun and story-wise, I'm now supposed to go get the last crystal, but first I wanna visit the Sylph Cave and the Feymarch. If all goes well, I'll be done with this in a couple of days!

Blog Entries

What you're saying bears no resemblence to my playthrough. I found it hard to level up and learn the necessary spells. And I don't remember augments. I suppose this could all be because I played the PS1 version.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Augments are additions made in the 3D Remake of the game, they allow you to gain abilities from other party members and even bosses. So for instance, you can keep Twincast and teach it to two other characters so you have it for the whole game.