Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The fun thing about twincast is that giving it to two other characters than Palom and Porom gives you access to additional, very powerful spell. For instance, having it on Kain and Cecil gives you access to Bubble, while Cecil and Rosa will be capable of casting Ultima!

Anyhoo, just made it to the Moon! Got my knife and my Leviathan and everything too!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, I'll be taking a little break from this after IV for a couple of reasons.

1) I have to buy FFV on Steam, and I kinda have to conserve the money for now. Will probably buy it next month.
    2) I don't want to get burnt out by FF before I reach the end of it, so I kinda wanna give myself some air.
    3) There's another game I want to focus on now.

So I hope to continue this soon! In the meantime, feel free to discuss the FFs here! Which game are you looking forward to me playing? Perhaps you'd also like to share some of your own experiences?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Augments are additions made in the 3D Remake of the game, they allow you to gain abilities from other party members and even bosses. So for instance, you can keep Twincast and teach it to two other characters so you have it for the whole game.
    That sounds like an easier version.

Awww, and Fynn I thought you had access to everything already. I am looking forward to your playthrough of 5 when you're ready, and true you don't wanna get burnt out. Plus, I end up with loads of stuff I wanna play sometimes as well.

When you're ready to play 5 I'm looking forward to seeing how it differs from the PS1 version. I never minded the way it was translated but you could perhaps show me examples of how the Steam translation is better.

As for my own experiences well, this is your marathon, wouldn't want to share too many of my own but, I may think of a few things.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It may sound easier, but augments are actually added for balance because the overall difficulty of the game was significantly boosted with bosses having brutal counters and improved AI, spells being learned at later levels, and so on

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm always astonished how people can play games so quickly. It takes me a minimum of about a week to play one average-length game.

And that's if I'm on break or otherwise got nothing better to do.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

All it takes is dedication

Also, remember I've played all of these games to the end at least ones. Around seven times for FFIV, actually

Articles
    Blog Entries

Me and Mr. Carny were both playing through the Mass Effect trilogy. I was only halfway through 2 by the time he finished 3.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's the other game?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably Soil Hackers, though I'm still thinking. The key thing is I just want like a week or two long break from FF before jumping into V, because I want to be as eager to play it as I was to play IV

Blog Entries

That's fair enough.

As for the issue of speed, while I'm not an FF completionist I am an obsessive grinder so it takes me at least 2 weeks. I don't keep exact count though.

You're so modest Fynn, its cause you happen to be that good

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So! The Giant of Babil happened and I thought I was gonna throw my DS at the wall because of that damn CPU fight. For those of you that haven't played the DS version, it's been changed significantly. Fusoya is just outright lying about killing the Defense Node first because the healing it provides is negligible. The Attack Node, however, no longer takes away 10% of the target's max health with its laser barrage, but attacks everyone in the party for, oh, I don't know, around 3000 points of damage, leaving only Cecil alive and at critical health. The battle was entirely luck-based - if it opens up the battle with laser barrage, which it loves to do, I'm left with just Cecil. And it also likes to immediately follow that up with another. The only way to beat it was to somehow kill it before it uses laser barrage, which I barely did after slowing him down and hasting Edge. Pretty sure this is the most unfair fight in the entire game.

But anyway, got the Excalibur, and all that I have left to do before the final dungeon is getting Odin and Bahamut.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And it's done!

Had no problems throughout the final dungeon and battle whatsoever. The pacing in this game is truly excellent and I really didn't even need to grind once.

Playing this yet again has only cemented it as one of my all-time favorites. It has a very cool battle system, despite limited customization, as I loved controlling five party members and the difference in the action execution time, which is something that hasn't been used in the series up until XII (and we still haven't received another game with five party members). I also love the story and the presentation of the DS version really makes it all the more gripping. Definitely the best game of the marathon so far!

So yeah, hope you guys enjoyed IV as much as I did I'll be seeing you soon with FFV! I need a little bit of a breather, like I said, but I will be back with the next game for sure!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I'm back again, kiddos. I guess it's hard to call this a marathon anymore, but what the hell.

Just started FFV, AKA FFIII again but actually fun this time. Playing the Steam version this time, which is kind of blurry and with occasional graphical bugs, but overall, I like the way the game looks. I love the little touches to the interface.

So anyway, just got to the Shipwreck, Bart's is a Knight, Lenna's a White Mage, Galuf a Black Mage and Faris a Thief. Everything's been a breeze so far!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hey I guess this way you might be able to top off your marathon with FFXV =P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to top it off with The Zodiac Age, really