Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My problem with Triple Triad was that I always loved it, but also sucked at it.

Well, now I got the Ifrit card. And I bullied the hell out of the guy that took all my cards. And now my deck is filled with cards that have lots of sixes and sevens and I actually KEEP WINNING HELL YEAAAAAAAHH!H!!!!!!!

Also, the Junction system is so good. It's scratching all of my gameplay itches that I have been missing since beating FFV.

I am having so much fun you guys

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yup, that sounds about right. I was pretty surprised myself when I replayed the game on PC and it was just so much fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Too bad levelling characters is kind of the opposite of what you should be doing due to level scaling. Because I wanna keep levelling up my GFs!

Speaking of GFs - I know I can junction more than one to a character, but is there a limit as to how many? Or could one character theoretically have all the GFs junctioned to them? Also, are the abilities available to the GF dependent on level, abilities learned, or do you never get more at all?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright, time to adjust my hipster glasses

I'm really not a fan of VIII's soundtrack

I enjoy the regular battle theme and the boss theme, but other than that, I feel that Uematsu kind of experimented a lot here with some much more ambient stuff and it didn't really work out. Also, the Balamb Garden theme does nothing to me, and I know that's a fan favorite. The melody is really simple - even primitive - and there's just too much bells and weird synth for it to make me think of anything other than, uh, hospitals? For some reason?

Also, don't get me started on Man With the Machine Gun. Waaaay too much 80s synth, and not in a cool way like in SMTIV. Though here, I really think this is because it's a really poor arrangement rather than poor composition, because the symphonic version is very nice.

Here's hoping Wolf Kanno doesn't hate me for this

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will totally troll you for not liking Man with the Machine Gun, as well as your inability to appreciate FFIII's score. Other than that, I agree that VIII's OST is a bit underwhelming and easily my least favorite of the PSX generation.

Leveling GFs shouldn't be too much of an issue since they will get the bulk of XP if they land the finishing blow. Use abilities like Card Mod as well to get around the XP issue.

You can actually equip every GF to one character if you want, only your Magic Stock has a set limit and even that is rather generous.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My thrid fav game ever

I unfortunately can't give you too many tips because I'm not the expoity-mcgee type when it comes to this game and I hate Triple Triad and the card mods and all dat.

I personally decide before hand who gets what GF's, and then I divide the magic in to three sets and swap those over depending on my party. But I keep my GFs to one particular character each. Like Shiva is always on Rinoa (when she joins my party) so even if she isn't in my party, Siva will still be junctioned to her. This isn't practical, it's just one of my deals. Dat GF loyalty.

Oh yeah, you do have your GF compatibility bars that change based on who uses them and the other GFs they use. So keep an eye on that if you care

FFVIII is a Bad Game but I'm replaying it to, only I'm using a mod that changes the gameplay to actually make the battle system fun. FFVIII's gameplay has a bajillion problems but first and foremost among them is how terribly easy it is.The FF series is not known for difficulty but FFVIII is a special case of being made for babies. Mentally challenged babies at that. Junctions are so unbelievably broken that it's impossible to NOT break the game as long as you are seriously collecting magic. Then there are the stat+ abilities. HP, MAG, STR +80% What were they thinking?

As for collecting weapons, once I went on a Triple Triad card collection frenzy. Before I even went to Timber, I had Squall's second strongest weapon. Card Mod is obscenely broken. Abyss Worm cards + T-Magic RF = 20 Tornado's per Card. Mod 1 Abyss Worm into Windmill and then T Mag RF into I think 20 Tornadoes per Windmill. Tornado is pretty much the best junction spell at this point. You can work on getting Flares and Meteors but that's way harder. If you are the right level, you can draw Flare from Tri-Faces at the Balamb Garden MD Level near the start of Disk 2. They're rare encounters though.

Dollet has the Random Rule. I forget how exactly but make sure you abolish this rule. It involves running back and forth from Dollet to Timber and playing with the guard near the city entrance.

You need a guide to do the Card Queen sidequest. It's stupid.

When you get to Disk 2 and get back to the Garden, make sure to defeat teh CC Club quest. That involves finding the various members of the club and defeating them at Triple Triad. They all have really good cards but the real reward for this is they have infinitely respawning rare cards on Disk 4. You have no idea how useful this is. Well, I mean, you don't need this because vanilla FFVIII could be beaten by a toddler but it's still nice to have I guess.

Did you defeat the GIANT MECHANICAL SPIDER? I neve rhave until this current playthrough.

You should have Tents? I believe the game starts you off with 5 of them? L Mag RF turns them into 10 Curagas I think, or maybe 20. Junction Curaga to HP and enjoy nothing being able to kill you, ever.

The music in this game does suck pretty hard, though. FFVIII easily has the blandest world in FF history (because it's basically just 90s Earth) and Uematsu seemed to take inspiration from this blandness. All the town themes are as hallow and lifeless as the towns they belong to.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, for someone who hates FFVIII so much, you seem to play it with surprising frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    You know, for someone who hates FFVIII so much, you seem to play it with surprising frequency.
    I wanted to play Persona 3 as you know but I forgot my PSN password and Sony won't send m ea goddam reset password email no matter how many times I request one.

So I need something to do. I noticed the mod I played of VIII had been updated and altered for the PC version and I wanted to give the new version a try.

The reason I hate VIII is because it had so much potential. It is not a game devoid of quality. It just needed some tweaking. Lots of tweaking but still, there is a great game buried in there.

Like, the reason I love this mod is because the battle system is actually interesting. All the refining and mods and turning items into magic and magic into items and stuff? Very neat concept. Problem - FFVIII is so piss easy you don't need to do any of that. There is depth to VIII's battle systm but it is depth most people won't see because you don't have to.

I liked that I had to learn about how to manage Crisis Levels and other little details because those little details are cool.

As for the story, you know I love Seifer. He's a legit great character. I never get tired of seeing him.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I almost feel as if I've put off playing this game because Triple Triad is a rather involved, major sidequest that affects various things. Like, I remember playing Triple Triad on EoFF once and got absolutely hammered. I don't think I'd ever get the hang of it.

At least FFX-2's Sphere Break could be beaten with a computer programme to assist me. How the hell am I even going to attempt Triple Triad? And doesn't FFIX have something like it?

Damn, have I been avoiding these games because of a card game?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am honestly flabbergasted by how many people I meet who can't play Triple Triad. It's not that difficult to figure out, even with the advanced rules.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Triple Triad is still far and away my favorite minigame in *any* game I've ever played.

Also you know what's broken? Chocobo World is. On the PC version, it literally removes all limits on your power as soon as you get access to it. Thanks to a glitch you can eternally deliver items from it without losing them on the Chocobo World side, allowing you to get infinite stat ups, potions, well just about anything really. And you can let that game run by itself automatically if you know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I am honestly flabbergasted by how many people I meet who can't play Triple Triad. It's not that difficult to figure out, even with the advanced rules.
    I love Triple Triad but hate the advanced rules. Sometimes simple is better, and especially when Random​ comes into it I flip the desk.

And doesn't FFIX have something like it?

Yes what happened was they took Triple Triad and said "Now we have made the perfect mini card game how do we make it a bit worse?" So now what you have is a slightly harder to understand Triple Triad with dice rolls determining success. Imagine if when playing chess instead of just 'taking' a piece you rolled a dice to see if your take was successful. That's Tetra Master in a nutshell.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, Triple Triad is completely, 100% optional. I beat the game fairly easily the first time without even winning one card battle

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I beat it everytime without winning a card battle