Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just lost the blitzball tournament

The lousiest, most frustrating piece of trout mini game I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Good thing I'm never touching that again. And I don't care that Wakka won't have his celestial weapon. He can bite my shiny metal ass.

I really like Blitzball - probably my favourite mini-game in the series - but I strongly dislike the forced Blitzball match. I hate how long it takes for everything to happen because you're being interrupted by cutscenes and events every 5 seconds.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

To me, X has the single worst selection of mini games in the entire series. I miss Tetra Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    To me, X has the single worst selection of mini games in the entire series. I miss Tetra Master.
    What else has it got? Lightning dodging... yeah that's pretty terrible. Chocobo race... I hate that more than anything in the universe.

Here's a thing that happened to me one playthrough - I may have told this story before. I was trying to get the item I needed for Tidus's celestial weapon, so I had to hit the 0:00.0 time on the Chocobo race. Fair enough. So I suffer through it for god knows how many attempts until finally, success! 0:00.0! And I got a smurfing Turbo Ether for my trouble.

Whoever used a < instead of <= in their code, or checked their floating point to an extra point of precision... they are my nemesis for life.

What else does it have mini-games wise... Cloister of Trials? Yeah, hate that. Monster arena... I liked at first but became horrendously tedious.

I think I'll agree with you on everything but the Blitzball.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually like the trials

The rest can die in a fire and Blitzball is just... I have no words.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay. Real talk.

How in the heck did the blitz season just start, Wakka? We just took part in championship finals.Last time I checked, that's how you end a season!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it was a tournament to open the season. Kinda in reverse, I guess. I think the tournament you're forced to play is some special one to celebrate Yu Yevon or something. I don't know, it's been ages for me, roll with it

FFX has the worst set of mini-games ever. It is sooooo bad. I repeated that forced game like four times to win the cup. And those cutscenes, gosh, I don't think you could skip them either. That took a damn long time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's more like, they needed it to be finals to build tension, but they needed it to be the beginning of the season to let players play blitzball during the game. It didn't occur to them that you can't both have your cake and eat it

Articles
    Blog Entries

To be fair, Blitzball Tournaments are like literally all the damn time during the season. Not that that excuses the lousy writing, mind you =P

Yeah, I'm OK with that aspect of it. Football does the same thing; you have a main championship that runs every week for months and months, plus some tournaments on the side. Having a season opening mega-tournament before the championship proper gets underway seems a perfectly reasonable thing for a sport to do.

What is NOT reasonable is when Wakka walks in and says "Alright boys, we've been seeded! Two wins, and we're the champions!" The Besaid Aurochs - who have never won a game ever and presumably only qualify for this tournament because there are literally only like... 8 populated areas in Spira - got seeded. Go. to. hell.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just did the operation Mi'ihen thing. I don't know why, but this part always felt super boring. Partly because Mushroom Rock Road is just so incredibly bland in terms of presentation, and partly because I can't be made to care about the Crusaders storyline no matter how much the game tries to make me.

Something I don't get - they said on more than one occasion that the Crusaders have been rejected by Yevon (Seymour himself confirms it, saying that though their and the Al Bhed's mission is against the teachings of Yevon but they long for the same peace as Yevonites so it's okay), but the game also says the Crusaders have been called that since they've been taken under Yevon's wing, and Kinoc is explicitly stated to be one of the four Maesters who is in charge of the Crusaders.

This is a huge discrepancy. Of course, you could explain it away that this operation is only conducted by a specific group of Crusaders that have decided to use Machina to defeat Sin, but not authorized by the church of Yevon. But Kinoc is there and it looks like it's pretty much an operation that has been prepared by the higher-ups - so Maester Kinoc. Also, Wakka hates the Crusaders because apparently they've rejected Yevon's teachings (and then there's the fact that his brother was one and died), but this doesn't make sense since the Crusaders are a part of the Yevon church and are run by Kinoc!

Who in the hell wrote this trout!

At this point, it seems like the most logical thing would be to just create a subsidiary of the church that can go against the teachings should the Maester in charge deem it a necessity to make things better (which is still a farce since Kinoc has pretty explicitly stated he's doing it to give people a false sense of hope). So if this has been verified by the church - to the point that, again, they have a Maester run a whole thing - HOW IN THE HELL HAVE THE CRUSADERS BEEN REJECTED BY YEVON?!

That's why this whole subplot was pointless. Sure, we needed to see how undefeatable Sin is, how much destruction it causes and that Tidus can feel Jecht, as well as hinting at the corruption of the Yevon clergy, but there's plenty of scenes later on and earlier that drive that point home anyway. This, coupled with the fact that the bland environment here is so padded out, makes it easily the least interesting part of the game for me so far. The death of the Crusaders ultimately rings hollow to me because it seems like the writers had no idea what to do with them in the first place and failed to make me interested in any one of the characters from this faction - even though this had huge potential, considering Chappu and stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have I mentioned that I love Kimahri? Because I do. The moment we hear him speak for the first time is so heartwarming because you can tell he cares a lot about Yuma and this whole thing and in general has a heart of gold even if he doesn't use lots of words to express it. And then there's his "Pick spot. Shut up. Wait." which is just perfect.

Too bad he's really hard to make useful. I really wish he had his own section of the Sphere Grid...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Agree that Kimahri is great. I agree and disagree with Blitzball. I honestly don't know if I love it or hate it. xD

Definitely agree with Fox regarding the other minigames though. Horrid. Especially chocobo racing, or whatever the hell they call that thing.

Sidenote: For anyone who likes Lulu, or just the general backstory of FFX, I encourage you to check out Guardian, a comic which seems rather true to the story. It covers the journey of Lulu and I found it to be really well done so far. The first 90 pages are all what I'd consider to be pre-Tidus, so pre-FFX.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Kimahri is as good of a character storywise as he is in combat. Uncharismatic and uninteresting. Sorry!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You just can't appreciate the charm of a stoic, Psy

I get it, though. Not everyone has the capacity to appreciate a good stoic.