Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay. Here comes the stupid.

Why the HELL did Yuna think agreeing to marry Seymour - and not telling anyone the reasons for it - was the best way to go about exposing him?

Is she a smurfing idiot? She's a smurfing idiot, isn't she?

Anyway, beat Spherimorph so I decided to backtrack and get all the Jecht spheres. Now these are actually pretty cool as they remind me of the Laguna plot line from VIII.

Yeah. I'm a Yuna fan overall, but that was unbelievably dumb.

But... but... I didn't want to get you involved!

THEY'RE YOUR GUARDIANS. They are obligated to get involved! Baka Yuna.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I always wondered that too. Kimhari would follow her to the end of Spira and back without letting her break a nail yet won't even tell him her reason.

You have to remember though that once you become a "traitor " in Spira, everybody despises you and Yevon wants you dead. Yuna loves her guardians and didn't want that to happen to them- she was willing to sacrifice herself and not have Tidus and the rest have to deal with anything if she messes up. Yuna didn't want to marry Seymour, maybe at the beginning for the " greater good for Spira " but then she finds out the truth and doesn't want her friends to become a traitor with her if she ever had to battle Seymour.

Also drama for Tidus/ Yuna shippers

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah. Basically the whole wedding plot line is so evidently just there to make the player (through Tidus) feel threatened. I really can't see any real reason behind that - aside from the bulltrout he's saying it's for - for Seymour to want to marry Yuna. It really doesn't feel like he has any real plan, when you think about it. How did this guy become Maester when all he really wants to do is kill everyone to end their... suffering... good God this is dumb. This is pretty much the worst thing about Toriyama's writing, and I swear it appears in all his FFs.

Also, while that may be true, maybee, the fact that she didn't think about consulting any of her guardians about it beforehand is incredibly stupid. Had she done it, her plan might actually have succeeded and everyone around might have at least understood and not intervened - or even helped! - so the plan would have worked.

That said, her reason for getting married is incredibly contrived and flimsy and this is pretty much where this game jumped the shark for me

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Just did the operation Mi'ihen thing. I don't know why, but this part always felt super boring. Partly because Mushroom Rock Road is just so incredibly bland in terms of presentation, and partly because I can't be made to care about the Crusaders storyline no matter how much the game tries to make me.

Something I don't get - they said on more than one occasion that the Crusaders have been rejected by Yevon (Seymour himself confirms it, saying that though their and the Al Bhed's mission is against the teachings of Yevon but they long for the same peace as Yevonites so it's okay), but the game also says the Crusaders have been called that since they've been taken under Yevon's wing, and Kinoc is explicitly stated to be one of the four Maesters who is in charge of the Crusaders.

This is a huge discrepancy. Of course, you could explain it away that this operation is only conducted by a specific group of Crusaders that have decided to use Machina to defeat Sin, but not authorized by the church of Yevon. But Kinoc is there and it looks like it's pretty much an operation that has been prepared by the higher-ups - so Maester Kinoc. Also, Wakka hates the Crusaders because apparently they've rejected Yevon's teachings (and then there's the fact that his brother was one and died), but this doesn't make sense since the Crusaders are a part of the Yevon church and are run by Kinoc!
    I think the entire Mushroom Rock Road business is to so just how hypocritical Yevon is. It's pretty much lampshaded by Seymour when he goes "just pretend you didn't see them". I agree though: I find the entire Mushroom Rock Road segment to be a chore to get through. You go through the nice Mi'hen Highroad with Auron, beat up a Chocobo Eater and so on, then you encounter a dreary, bleak and grey rock formation. With a fairly mediocre plot as well. Probably my least favourite part of the game. Maybe that and some of the stuff at Seymour's mansion.

Have I mentioned that I love Kimahri? Because I do. The moment we hear him speak for the first time is so heartwarming because you can tell he cares a lot about Yuma and this whole thing and in general has a heart of gold even if he doesn't use lots of words to express it. And then there's his "Pick spot. Shut up. Wait." which is just perfect.

Too bad he's really hard to make useful. I really wish he had his own section of the Sphere Grid...
    I made Kimahri useful by giving him steal. Having two thieves really bolsters your coffers in the long-run. It makes his spear strikes incredibly weak though, but then again, I've got enough heavy-hitters in Auron, Tidus, Wakka, Lulu (magic), etc. After picking up the highlights from Rikku's grid, I tend to give him a return sphere and go on a more standard path, going down either Wakka or Auron's trees. I agree he's the hardest to make fit out of your group.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm making him a paladin of sorts. Down Auron's path with some white magic

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And there it is... everyone and their mother is an unsent. Since death is just something you shrug off in this world if you're driven enough, it really makes you wonder why Sin is such a tragedy...

This just keeps getting better and better

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You just can't appreciate the charm of a stoic, Psy

I get it, though. Not everyone has the capacity to appreciate a good stoic.
    I appreciate Auron

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Key word: good

Also, so far in this marathon FFX is the game where the equipment matters the least. Kind of a shame, especially to what came just before and just after.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Oh, okay, I get what's going on. Right, stand still, I'm going to have to punch you in the face. No no, don't worry, I'm told it's a very reliable cure to the Confuse status effect.

Key word: good

Also, so far in this marathon FFX is the game where the equipment matters the least. Kind of a shame, especially to what came just before and just after.
    Also considering they built a whole system around it. Rikku allows you to build new equipment, but almost none of it is worth a damn. I think my weapons for Tidus went something like: Starter Sword, Brotherhood, Celestial Weapon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Oh, okay, I get what's going on. Right, stand still, I'm going to have to punch you in the face. No no, don't worry, I'm told it's a very reliable cure to the Confuse status effect.
    When you think about it, Auron isn't really a stoic. He isn't really a quiet, stable, reliable figure - everyone says that things have gotten complicated since he joined. He also tends to get very emotional in certain situations, really hamming it up in the second battle against Seymour, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I like Auron. I just don't think he fits the archetype half as well as Kimahri. And while Auron can be kind of a dick sometimes, Kimahri's got a really sweet, soft center.