Thread: Fynn's Final Fantasy Fmarathon

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just made it to Memoria. IX has hands-down the best penultimate disc of all the PSOne FFs, with everything making sense within the context of the game and having the least badness of all. The You Are Not Alone scene, however, was incredibly forced. I get what they were trying to say, but it really came across as sloppily put together.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Defeated the four fiends... again...

Guess it's time to kick Kuja's butt! Hope I'm ready!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OMG I FINALLY DID IT!!!

It took me six or seven tries! I was about to throw in the towel!

So now it's time for X, huh...

This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang, but with a whimper

Necron really is a jerk unless you have all the necessary auto abilities equipped, at which point he's an unbelievable pushover!

If you fail you have to do Kuja again as well don't you? I'm never sure how I feel about that in these games; on the one hand it's really cool as it makes the tension of the second phase that much higher. On the other... it's infuriating when you're struggling. I think on balance it's fine in, say, FFVIII where you go straight from phase to phase in one fight, but in IX you've got a long cutscene in the middle so that's not acceptable.

OOOOH BOY TIME FOR FFX

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Going with the expert grid

Like a boss
    How bold. How daring. How expert.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Guys

There are so many butts in this game
    Zanarkand fashion is pretty out there, isn't it?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not Zanarkand, though! I've seen the most of Rikku's and Kimahri's so far, so at least they're keeping it equal l-opportunity!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I really liked the sphere grid of X. It had me think on how I wished to build each one, however I can see how it would make them all feel the same. Plus X has Blitz Ball! I know you're not a fan of X. Hope it isn't pure torture for you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK, just about to reach Kilika. Had to leave for work so I had to put my Vita to sleep right after beating that big fin thing. So far, while I'm still not a fan of the whole "you must use X character against Y enemy" because I feel the game really doesn't utilize this mechanic well, I quite like the fact that battles go by fast. The Expert Sphere Grid actually makes me think about how I should develop my characters, which is pretty cool.

The story actually starts out pretty strongly - it's the later, more ham-fisted segments that I take issue with - though the lack of voice direction is apparent from the start. I still think all the main voice actors are actually really good on their own, but you can tell they're not really told what to do and everyone sounds like they came from a different show. I actually like JAT as Tidus (and yes, that's TEE-dus ). As I insinuated earlier, the camera work is incredibly clumsy. I have no idea whether all the butt shots are intentional fanservice, or just total ineptitude on the part of the developers who never how to think about how a movie-like scene is meant to play out. That said, the CGI cutscenes are nicely directed and have aged fairly well. In general, the HD graphics look really good on the Vita.

I am so glad the music got redone. With the new arrangement, the absolute worst battle theme in the history of JRPGs may still be the absolute worst battle theme in the history of JRPGs, but at least it's much more bearable with a lot more "oomph" to it. Other than that, I like that it's an actual piano playing the Zanarkand theme this time around, and the new guitar duet for Besaid village is very welcome.

Btw, can anyone tell me what exactly differentiates Energy Blast and Energy Ray? Valefor is the only aeon to have two overdrives and so far they seem to be mechanically identical? What?

Also, hello there, mini-map! It's fun that you decided to appear now, in the game that probably needs you the least (well, apart from XIII, I guess, but that game had one AS WELL!). Where were you when I neede you the most? Like in FFIII? Hm?

Energy Blast gives you a chance to hit the monster again from memory. You're making me want to replay this game and do the Expert Sphere Grid- even though I'm European and had the Expert Grid from the beginning, never done it. Always felt like I was awful at games, and would screw it up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Energy Ray is faster but weaker, while Energy Blast is slower but I think tied for the strongest single-hit aeon overdrive in the game (if only Valefor had the Strength to back it up).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Found the kid that wants to be a blitz ball!

Reach for the stars, kiddo