Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CLOUD IN SUPER SMASH BROS CONFIRMED

Also, quick survey:

Who here does not own a Nintendo console, or has never bought an amiibo figure, but will try to buy Cloud's amiibo when it comes out?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't have a single amiibo because I think it's very shady that Nintendo intentionally doesn't release enough of them to meet demand (of course this excludes limited edition ones because that's the point). As a result, I don't even bother with them. Screw that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I don't have a single amiibo because I think it's very shady that Nintendo intentionally doesn't release enough of them to meet demand (of course this excludes limited edition ones because that's the point). As a result, I don't even bother with them. Screw that noise.
    Actually, there never was intentional under-supply. The amiibo shortages were caused by a number of distribution problems (primarily of which was the dock strikes in California). Inability to distribute led to inability to sell, which in turn led to manufacturers making less for future product runs (which affected worldwide supply). During the third and fourth waves of Smash amiibo, every amiibo delivered to America was flown in instead of shipped in on boats, which was much more expensive, and resulted in much smaller numbers to maintain profitability. It was only after the dock strikes lifted and sales stabilized that manufacturing caught up.

These days amiibo are nowhere near as rare. You can go into a store several days late and still pick up new releases off the shelf, even of rare or highly sought after characters. And restocks have come through on several different models, with more print runs promised.

Speaking of amiibos. I really want a Lucas.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The real problem with amiibos is that they used the cheapest possible NFC chip on the market. The chip they use in amiibos is of the same type that you'd use for disposable one-time paper tickets for trains and subways and the like. That's also why they have so little storage space that they can only support one game (with write capacity) at a time.
    Last edited by Mirage; 11-27-2015 at 04:10 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Does that mean they'll have a shorter shelf-life too? Sounds pretty disposable, and people probably want them to work for a while.