Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phantasy Star

I assume you mean reboots. Plural. Which makes me sad. I loved Legends and really liked Underworld. And now there will never be anoher in that series

Ayen, you've got to keep in mind that these games are old as *beep*. Cut them some slack. I have never played the original Phantasy Star, but I loved II. I think my favorite character from II was the girl that used the claws, second (again, going from the ~30 year old memory) was the guy with the shotgun type weapon. While I'm at it, a confession; There is a recorder, or dats disc, or something along those lines, that you have to collect from the very end of the first dungeon in order to progress any further in the game. I played though that freakin' dungeon a hundred times before the damn thing let me "search" that "control panel" (or whatever the heck it was). No joke, I kept coming back to the game every few days to give it another shot. Happened on my second play through also. I'm guessing that there was some conversation that had to take place in town before the item was "accessible".

III, I played all the way through, never really "into it". I know why too, I screwed up and bought the stupid "strategy guide" with it. I went through the guide so that I could preconceive my "family tree". To my dismay, the choices that I would have made San-guide didn't line up with my guided plan. Stuck to the (guided) game plan though (forget if it was for ending, or just the characters themselves), but the spoiler had spoiled it.

Someone mentioned Shining Force, freaking loved that game. Very different from PhS though, battle tactics. Ever play Shining in the Darkness (RPG, dungeon delver, that preceded Shing Force)? I was so hooked on that game, I even carefully mapped out every single dungeon. My youngest brother "rediscovered" the game while I was in college. We were talking about the old systems recently and he shared that he'd found my maps as a kid, said it really added to the nostalgia of playing my old game (he's 8 years younger).

Anyhow, these old games were "groundbreaking" for the time. Try to imagine playing them on release date, rather than gauging them with our current, somewhat/extremely jaded, experience.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Them being old isn't an excuse. I grew up in the 8/16 bit era thanks to my brother, so I played a lot of old retro games I love, and like I said, I enjoyed the first one more than two and three, and the first one is a Master System game. I like IV, but it came to the states around the same time as other games doing better things with the genre, so it being old has nothing to do with it.

I also loved Shining in the Darkness. I tried mapping the caves but the geometry always seemed to break on me. So instead I did the tedious task of writing out directions. One of the first games I officially beat as a kid. And it took me a long time to learn it was even related to Shining Force. Considering how many games used words like Space and Star I thought it was reasonable that two good games that played different used the word Shining. The similar art style and music did not to me off. It was just a similarity between them that I loved lol ah childhood

3 was a let down for me, but I love 1, 2, and 4. The games are like Dragon Quest in space.

1 is hands down the best RPG of it's generation if you ask me. Easily beating the first batch of Dragon Quest and first Final Fantasy games. I'm not speaking from nostalgia either, since I first played this one only a few months ago.

2 is great a great game, but the battle system is a bit hard to get into. The story is also kind of told a bit too much by the main character, rather than shown. The best overall series soundtrack too, but 1 comes very close.

4 is one of the best RPGs of the SNES/Genesis era. Great story that wraps up the entire series, and the battle system is a huge upgrade from 2.

2 is a good example of what happens when you tell instead of show.
    True, but there's an awesome plot twist at the end.

Try Phantasy Star Generation 2 if you can find an English version. It's a remake of 2, and is basically better in every way(except music). The story shows instead of telling, there's far more dialogue and character interaction, and the battle system is more like 4.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=koFgFZVYfqM

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    2 is great a great game... The best overall series soundtrack...

Sounds like you're familiar with the soundtrack, maybe you can clear something up for me. Call me crazy... thanks for that, much appreciated.

Now that we've got that out of the way, perhaps I'm nuts, but I'd swear that there is a tune on the soundtrack that is "sampled" from a Cure song, "Close to Me". Forget about the horns, just listen to the "xylophone and flute". Either that tune is used in an area map, town, equipment shop, or I just mentally supplanted it into the game (because it sounds as though it should be). I can't hear that song without my mind immediately taking me back to 1990 (the year Phantasy Star II was released in the US).

I'm probably going to have to play through it again so that I can put this to rest (I've already gone through the soundtrack and couldn't find anything remotely close to the tune that I "remember" from the game).