Thread: 7 Most Underrated Songs in Final Fantasy VII

Default 7 Most Underrated Songs in Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII is a good game, a great game some might say. It has a good soundtrack, a great soundtrack some might say. Yet while a lot of songs get a ton of justifiable praise, they naturally overshadow several other stellar songs on this fantastic OST.

I just want to give some love to those songs that have always had a special place in my heart yet I don't see get brought up much.

7. Chasing the Black-Caped Man

What can I say? I love this song. It doesn't play much at all which is odd. I can only recall it playing at the Mythrl Mine area you are in for all of five minutes and then later on if you do the optional Ancient Forest. It reminds me a bit of FFVIII's equally good "normal dungeon" music.

6. Sandy Badlands - Corel Prison Theme

The whole Barret/Dyne subplot was one of my favorite parts in the entire game. I feel this song for the otherwise rather drab Desert Prison did a great job of capturing the atmosphere of the place. Didn't you think so when you wandered out into the desert and had this play while you ran from screen to screen in a hopelessly confused state?

5. Descendant of the Shinobi - Yuffie's Theme

For most people its all about Aerith's Theme or maybe Cid's and Tifa's or MAYBE, just barely, Vincent's. Yuffie though? She was the best. You didn't need to waste all that time and energy getting Omnislash if you used Yuffie. As for this song though it's just so colorful and you can never forget the first time you heard it because you probably heard it several times on account of the trickiness of our little ninja and recruiting her.

4. Forested Temple - Temple of the Ancients Theme

There's just...something I love about this song. Maybe it's because it's weirdly juxtaposed against the rather dire events taking place. After all, this song is a bit kooky and strange and mysterious yet it precedes the plot taking a turn for the more dramatic. In any event, it's my favorite dungeon theme in the game, beating out even the final dungeon track.

3. Jenova Absolute

I have always liked this more than J-E-N-O-V-A. Hell, I place it on equal footing with both of Sephiroth's fina boss themes. But hardly anyone ever remembers it, possibly because they killed her too quick. Whatever the case, I liked to just drag out the battle back in the day to listen to this.

2. Who Are You

This is a great, understated theme. Admittedly on its own it's not that much but it goes perfectly with Cloud's struggle and that little voice in him trying to make him remember who he really is.

And finally....
    1. Off the Edge of Despair

It might annoy me in a vague way that my other favorites don't get that much attention but I can at least understand why they are underrated. This song however, I can't fathom why it's not more popular. It's literally perfect. It plays at one of the most dramatic and memorable moments of the game, too. How can anyne f orget vegetable Cloud and poor Tifa and this song? I just don't get it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nice list. I don't care for Who Are You but the others are all good tracks. The FF VII OST is just pretty fantastic all around.

I'll also mention

Anxious Heart

Which is one of my single favorite atmospheric tracks in Final Fantasy.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Nice list. I don't care for Who Are You but the others are all good tracks. The FF VII OST is just pretty fantastic all around.

I'll also mention

Anxious Heart

Which is one of my single favorite atmospheric tracks in Final Fantasy.
    Anxious Heart is gorgeous. It's sad and forboding, perfect for the scenes and locations where it appears.

Speaking of tracks that are just perfect...

Lifestream