Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    It's pretty amazing how New Vegas and Fallout 3 feel so different when using the same assets, engine, and, outside of some tweaks, mechanics. New Vegas is a masterpiece.
    To be fair, there are a lot of new assets in NV.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

New Vegas is a masterwork in the old-school traditions of CRPGs, almost up there with games like Baldur's Gate.

4 is an incredibly fun romp through an extremely detailed world with solid gameplay, and a decent enough story.

3 is really a big bag of trout but was still pretty fun to explore.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What is Fallout 3: New Vegas?
    I meant to have that : become a comma.
    Ok, well, no, not really . That's still as easy a question as the first one. New Vegas.

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fallout 3 was good.

New Vegas was good, I just enjoyed Fallout 3 more.

Fallout 4 gets very boring very quickly and I think they have "dumbed it down" too much.

There's barely a tutorial, and most aspects of settlements and crafting are left completely to discover on your own by accident or with the help of a guide. I think they streamlined some things, but I think their biggest problem may have been putting too much focus on settlements, and possibly too many resources were also put into ensuring the console versions could eventually be moddable. Either way, it definitely looks like their focus was split somewhere, so I'll agree that it's lacking in a few aspects

Blog Entries

I agree. Settlements was woefully under-tutorialled and left too much for you to discover.

V.A.T.S was altered in a way which made the game slightly better in that it doesn't stop charging enemies and you can still take damage.

But all in all, a quite boring game when the mid to late levels are reached and you are one-shotting most human types, and at most 4 shotting death claws.

They've only "dumbed it down" in that there's no longer meaningful interaction with characters. It's a murder simulator now. (and a very easy one, even on Survival)

Blog Entries

Exact-a-mundo!! A point-and-click-shoot-em-up.

Actually most of the time pointing doesn't even matter since you kill everything out of VATS

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd actually argue the new dialogue system has merely exposed the fact that Bethesda was always lacking in meaningful character interaction in their games.

I already knew they weren't good at it; this game just made me feel like NPCs were barely even present, rather than just awkward/bad to interact with. It's the biggest weakness of Bethesda games.

I want to be clear that I "like" Fallout 4, I'm just very disappointed in it because it COULD be great, and it isn't.

Fallout 4's dialogue system seems like a really crappy take on BioWare's dialogue wheel. Only it has no meaningful effect on much of anything.

I liked the companion system. Having companions react to stuff was nice.That's an improvement. Even New Vegas wasn't good about that.

I had so many people warn me about ways I could piss off and lose my companions. But ya know what? I actually brought Veronica along with me to help stamp out the Brotherhood of Steel and she never made so much as a peep.

Meanwhile, in FO4, me and my waifu Cait got along splendidly. She loved me for all the things I already did normally.
    It's the blood of the Irish in me, I guess.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I'm also in the camp of "Fallout 4 is a decent game, but you can tell they could have done a lot more."

I'm being forgiving, because it is a new system and it's not uncommon for developers to leave a lot on the table when making the first game on a new system. I hope that the next one returns to the better dialogue choices, and more varied ways of playing the different missions.

Pumpkin and I play the games very differently. In Fallout: New Vegas her choices in what skills she took and how she chose to interact with characters made a noticeable difference. In Fallout 4, not so much. I've seen many missions that either turned out basically the same, or made it to where you really could only play it one way. She uses lots of charisma to get out of situations, I use lots of sneaking and rifles. You can't really tell the difference in how the game plays out though.

I'm also not very enamored with the companion like/dislike situation in the new game. I like it in theory, but when you factor in limited dialogue, and skills that don't work well with the limitations, the results are crap.

Let's use Strong for an example. He hates whenever I sneak around or pick locks/hack computers.

Okay fine, if I want Strong around, then no sneaking. What am I supposed to do about safes,doors, and computers? There's really no other way to get into locked safes or doors other than picking them. So if I want Strong around, then I'm stuck leaving lots of areas unexplored. Maybe if they had a strength skill that would let you kick open doors or a demolitions skill that would let you blow open safes it would be okay, but they don't.

If they're going to have companions that don't like certain things, then they need to offer ways for your character to overcome that obstacle in a different way.

Well, you can just not pick locks to pointless rooms of loot and things, if Strong is with you. You aren't actually "missing out" because everyone one of those rooms is exactly the same. On the truly rare occasion where it seems like it might not be, then just come back without Strong.

It is dumb though. I got really unreasonably annoyed when Codsworth "disliked" that I "stole" ammo from an auto-hostile Raider WHO HE WAS IN COMBAT WITH. I still have one suit of Power Armor I can't enter in Sanctuary because it's not technically mine (it belonged to a Raider and I "stole" it) and all my companions there dislike it when I climb in.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yeah, it's pretty dumb that the companions react to things they have no way of seeing even happen.