Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    You should all be grateful, Fallout 3 was a super amazing perfect success. Bethesda didn't have to give Obsidian anything but they chose to, out of respect for the original writers of the series.
    Nice try.

Well you might not be grateful for Bethesda's generosity but JE Sawyer is.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/05/i...out-new-vegas/

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

JE Sawyer received a considerable amount of financial remuneration to have the privilege of designing and writing an awesome game in a much loved franchise.

I paid Bethesda money to consume their consumer product and they made a profit from this. If anything, Bethesda should be grateful to me for choosing to buy said product and providing free advertising by extolling its virtues to like minded consumers.

"Much loved franchise"? It was a long dead cult hit loved by ten people who had given up any hope of sequels before Bethesda resurrected it and made it popular with millions.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 01-28-2016 at 07:10 PM.

"Much loved franchise"? It was a long dead cult hit loved by ten people who had given up any hope of sequels before Bethesda resurrected it and made it popular with millions.
    Yeah but making it popular doesn't necessarily constitute survival. Hell if anything popularity means it's just going to follow along the common path taken by other games that are made popular and likely lose it's original flavor that connected with the older fans of the series. You might have the younger gen liking it but that doesn't mean the older has to like it or respect the direction the series takes. Hell, a lot of people hate Fallout 3 for the bad story, characters, gun play, and limited weapon and ammunition options. A lot more people hate Fallout 4 for doing everything Fallout 3 did, but worse with only one step forward and 5 steps back. When you go the route of other popular games and adapt a lot of things they do, such a series would lose uniqueness.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you have ever played an Obsidian game, you know that their middle name is "cut content."

It's just how they roll, it's not Bethesda's fault. NV is a miracle compared to KOTOR II.

You should all be grateful, Fallout 3 was a super amazing perfect success. Bethesda didn't have to give Obsidian anything but they chose to, out of respect for the original writers of the series.
    You realize that KOTOR2 was another case of the publisher rushing things and forcing Obsidian to release an unfinished game right? And it was still better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    Yeah but making it popular doesn't necessarily constitute survival. Hell if anything popularity means it's just going to follow along the common path taken by other games that are made popular and likely lose it's original flavor that connected with the older fans of the series. You might have the younger gen liking it but that doesn't mean the older has to like it or respect the direction the series takes. Hell, a lot of people hate Fallout 3 for the bad story, characters, gun play, and limited weapon and ammunition options. A lot more people hate Fallout 4 for doing everything Fallout 3 did, but worse with only one step forward and 5 steps back. When you go the route of other popular games and adapt a lot of things they do, such a series would lose uniqueness.
    How many post-apocalyptic open world games are there? The only "popular style" Bethesda adopted was their own. They took their big, expansive environments and transported it to the ruins of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    You realize that KOTOR2 was another case of the publisher rushing things and forcing Obsidian to release an unfinished game right? And it was still better than the original.
    I am in full agreement KOTOR II was better than KOTOR I but that's because KOTOR II did something different while KOTOR I was just more of the same. As a fan of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, all the crap in KOTOR I had seen done before. Fallout 3 didn't have this problem, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    How many post-apocalyptic open world games are there? The only "popular style" Bethesda adopted was their own. They took their big, expansive environments and transported it to the ruins of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I am in full agreement KOTOR II was better than KOTOR I but that's because KOTOR II did something different while KOTOR I was just more of the same. As a fan of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, all the crap in KOTOR I had seen done before. Fallout 3 didn't have this problem, thankfully.
    And? That idea is unique in it's own and that's not what pisses me off about
    Bethesda. It's really the bad stories, characters, limited weapon and ammunition types, terrible morality, bad gameplay, being overly simple and too easy from start to end. And just going away from the vibe that Fallout has always given off in the hands of Interplay or Obsidian.

I found New Vegas to be a lot easier than Fallout 3. Not only are companions immortal, you can have two of them. Between ED-E and Boone, you can wreck anything. And when I say "you"I mean "them."

Here was my endgame for 3 vs. New Vegas:

New Vegas - armed with Old Glory and Ulysses' Duster I bludgeoned my way through the NCR's best. I didn't even get to kill Oliver, ED-e or Cass did that while I was beating the "Heavy Troopers" to death with ease.

In Fallout 3, the Air Base and Mobile Crawler were nightmares. By the last two rooms I was out of health and ammo and had to just run for it. Poor Clover died. Those last two rooms are hell, full of Sentry Bots, Hellfire Troopers, Mr. Gutsy's and I think a vertibird. My only chance was to find the PC, launch the missiles, and then get the hell out of dodge. I died so many times....

The hardest part of New Vegas was Dead Money and that's becauseit's one giant gimmick fest. Also terrible in every way.

I found New Vegas to be a lot easier than Fallout 3. Not only are companions immortal, you can have two of them. Between ED-E and Boone, you can wreck anything. And when I say "you"I mean "them."

Here was my endgame for 3 vs. New Vegas:

New Vegas - armed with Old Glory and Ulysses' Duster I bludgeoned my way through the NCR's best. I didn't even get to kill Oliver, ED-e or Cass did that while I was beating the "Heavy Troopers" to death with ease.

In Fallout 3, the Air Base and Mobile Crawler were nightmares. By the last two rooms I was out of health and ammo and had to just run for it. Poor Clover died. Those last two rooms are hell, full of Sentry Bots, Hellfire Troopers, Mr. Gutsy's and I think a vertibird. My only chance was to find the PC, launch the missiles, and then get the hell out of dodge. I died so many times....

The hardest part of New Vegas was Dead Money and that's becauseit's one giant gimmick fest. Also terrible in every way.
    New Vegas isn't really easy on hardcore mode. Try that. Companions die. Dead Money felt like post nuclear ocean's eleven and I can agree with you a bit there. But to me it's still better than Old world blues.