Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycat View Post
    I will never know if two worlds two is awful or not because I can't get past how ugly the main character is and how dumb his arms look.
    Okay you know how there's B-movies that are absolutely terrible in any objective way but still more fun than 90% of actual good movies? Two Worlds is like that but in game form.

And now you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I respect your position Lazerface, but I'm not sure I can really understand it. Everything you say that is bad about 4 is even more true with 3, in my eyes. 4 is mediocre a lot of the time, but it's only mediocre - 3 is actively and offensively bad, stupid, and nonsensical.
    Yes. But Fallout 4 is everything Fallout 3 is but a bit worse. It's Fallout 3v.2. The difference is Fallout 4 really has no role playing in it and everything was fixed from the start with very little options to modify the ending or the outcomes. At least Fallout 3 was an RPG to an extent in wide dialogue options but I still hate the fact that there really is no moral dilemma in Fallout 3 and maybe even lesser in Fallout 4.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can kinda see where Lazerface is getting at, I think. Fallout 3 may have been bad, but Fallout 4 is penalised more heavily because Bethesda should have learned from the mistakes made in Fallout 3 in creating Fallout 4, instead of creating a slightly less crappier version of Fallout 3 (but is more crap due to previous experience and it being newer).

Because that makes a kind of sense.

That's how Elder Scrolls with guns do

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    That's how Elder Scrolls with guns do
    That is true. But the realest thing that sets Fallout 3 and New Vegas apart is moral dilemma. Which is really unnoticed in Fallout 3 until you get to the Pitt. To which the Pitt would've made a better Fallout 3 than Fallout 3 itself.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

wasn't there some moral dilemma in tranquility lane?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    No. There really wasn't. Everything was done as a means to an end to find your dad. It wasn't about choosing whether the occupants could be released or not and let them finally die or face an eternity in a virtual hell. All was done as a means to find daddy. Now if you talk about the Pitt. There was moral dilemma there.
    Last edited by Lazerface; 01-26-2016 at 11:38 PM.

It is kind of odd, that Bethesda has kind of refused to acknowledge the advancements that Obsidian made in the gameplay department, and yet embraced their idea of "what do they eat?" that people kept asking about Fallout 3

And they only kind of sort of learned from them on companions

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    No. There really wasn't. Everything was done as a means to an end to find your dad. It wasn't about choosing whether the occupants could be released or not and let them finally die or face an eternity in a virtual hell. All was done as a means to find daddy. Now if you talk about the Pitt. There was moral dilemma there.
    But tranquility lane was completely optional and didn't have anything to do with the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    But tranquility lane was completely optional and didn't have anything to do with the ending.
    No, it wasn't. You pretty much needed your dad for project purity and overall advancement of the main storyline.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Your dad wasn't in tranquility lane. Does the game actually force you down into that vault? I can't remember anything like that. There's also the thing about killing treeguy or not. Pretty sure that was unrelated to the dad plot as well.

-edit- so i was wrong, the area wasn't optional, but how you decided to solve it didn't have a very tangible effect ont he game world, except the dumb karma system reacting to it. a system that shouldn't really have been in the game at all
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-27-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Your dad wasn't in tranquility lane. Does the game actually force you down into that vault? I can't remember anything like that. There's also the thing about killing treeguy or not. Pretty sure that was unrelated to the dad plot as well.

-edit- so i was wrong, the area wasn't optional, but how you decided to solve it didn't have a very tangible effect ont he game world, except the dumb karma system reacting to it. a system that shouldn't really have been in the game at all
    The karma system has been around since the first Fallout. In Fallout 3 it just wasn't implemented well enough in comparison to the first two and New Vegas. It didn't allow moral ambiguity at no karma gain or loss.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

one-dimensional alignment systems don't really belong anywhere. I didn't play FO1 long enough to deal with it, but how it is in FO3, and even NV is bad.

one-dimensional alignment systems don't really belong anywhere. I didn't play FO1 long enough to deal with it, but how it is in FO3, and even NV is bad.
    Yeah but at least there's a chance to be morally ambiguous in New Vegas

Tenpenny Tower and Roy Phillips/the ghouls is better than anything in New Vegas in terms of moral ambiguity.

It really is a beautiful thing that subverts all expectations.