Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Captain America Civil War Thread

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I just don't know how government regulating Super Powered individuals would save lives. To me it's all a sham, so they could control who, why and when Super Heroes do their thing. They'll use the Super Heroes to do their bidding.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I just don't know how government regulating Super Powered individuals would save lives. To me it's all a sham, so they could control who, why and when Super Heroes do their thing. They'll use the Super Heroes to do their bidding.
    As Mr. Carny said, it's definitely fishy, and because it is a Captain America film and he is the lead role, he is the protagonist of the film so I'd find it likely his position to be the correct one.

Having said that, if they then throw a curveball and it turns out that Captain America has been wrong the entire time, that'd be something. I do wonder how the whole Bucky thing will turn out. I can't say I was particularly enamored with that sub-plot in The Winter Soldier, if I have to be honest.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    For me, the movie's central conflict (what we know of it, at least) works well because *both* sides have solid arguments behind them.

Government oversight means that the public can have assurance that their democratically-elected representatives are looking out for them. When you've got superheroes who are essentially walking WMDs, people will need to be reassured that someone's looking out for their interests, so they don't have to be constantly in fear for their lives because one of these 'heroes' could blunder or lash out in rage, free from any real accountability.

But at the same time, regulation and oversight risks political interference, turning superheroes' lives into military tools servicing political agenda. There's also the argument which would close to the heart for a WWII veteran like Rogers: the inherent danger of allowing a government, even a democratically-elected one, to categorise and regulate human beings based on differences in body, mind and ability.

Solid arguments exist both in favour and in opposition, distinguished mainly by the perspective and motivations of the individual. If the movie plays it that way, and both sides of the 'civil war' honestly believe they're doing the right thing for the right reasons, it'll make the struggle feel all the more 'real' and tragic.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

From the trailer it also looks to some degree like the conflict also stems from them wanting to bring Bucky to justice for his crimes while he was the brainwashed Winter Soldier, but at this point it clearly wouldn't really be just to imprison him for that since he wasn't in control and seems to be figuring out who he was and is now. So I'm sure regulation plays a role, but also Cap's defending of his best friend who he grew up with may be what pushes him onto the opposing side.

Also, it's worth mentioning that anyone who wants to read some comics about how registration and regulation of heroes can get out of hand may want to read the first 24 or so issues of The Ultimates. Basically Ultimate universe Avengers but they were formed as a government team and controlled as one. It lead to a rather massive conflict because of their clandestine actions in other countries on orders from the government and does a better job of showing the downsides of this than the Civil War series did honestly.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Am I the only one who sympathises with Iron Man's apparent position?

Is it so unreasonable for superheroes to be held accountable for their actions, and to have official oversight? Seems like a good idea to me. I mean, I trust MI5, the police and the army in broad terms, but that doesn't mean that I want them to run unchecked.

I'm sure it will turn out that the regulation people are evil, because Captain America's the good guy and it's his film, blah, blah, blah... So predictable.
    I'm pretty sure Iron Man is the one that's "right" in the comics. Although it being a Cap movie instead of Avengers, I guess they could change that.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem with the comics is that Iron Man was the one with the better thought out position but they acted like Cap was the one who was totally and completely right. All of this in spite of them wanting to do a more nuanced story where neither one was strictly right or wrong. The Civil War comics just didn't do a very good job of dealing with the potential the concept had. Hopefully the movie does better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hopefully. Maybe that was their inspiration for doing it. Wanting to rectify how badly the comic story went. This may be one of the few times where comic book fans won't be unhappy that a movie isn't following the comics panel for panel.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

True. The only thing I really liked about Civil War was it lead to some great stories for Iron Man in the aftermath. His solo series was absolutely awesome after that. Especially after Secret Invasion when he had to destroy the only remaining copy of the registration list which just so happened to be in his brain to keep it away from Norman Osborn.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

At least this will be a some what fair fight. The Batman vs. Superman movie is laughable to me because there is no way that is even remotely fair. Batman is a human without any actual powers other than just being rich, smart and having gadgets. Superman is an alien with only one weakness that is more crippling than fatal. He has lazer eyes. Batman you sure bruh?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    At least this will be a some what fair fight. The Batman vs. Superman movie is laughable to me because there is no way that is even remotely fair. Batman is a human without any actual powers other than just being rich, smart and having gadgets. Superman is an alien with only one weakness that is more crippling than fatal. He has lazer eyes. Batman you sure bruh?
    Batman has outwitted people with superpowers in the comics before by using his intelligence and wits. The issue I have with the movie going this route is because a lot of them never really focus much on his intellect and just did the punching bad guys in the face routine in nearly every movie. Some time using scare tactics. Not the Batman that think two moves ahead. It's reason for concern.

And Superman actually has three weaknesses, but the movies and shows only really know how to exploit the one.

-disengage nerd mode-

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Superman's 3 weaknesses:

1. Kryptonite
    2. Brunettes
    3. Puppies

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

It is looking good!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

SPIDEY SPIDEY SPIDEY SPIDEY SPIDEY

i'm team cap but i love spidey.

#conflicted

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Most anticipated superhero movie of the year! BatVSup might get schooled by this one.

Spidey's CGI looks off though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum