Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Captain America Civil War Thread

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ffamran mied Bunansa View Post
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Mostly liked what they did with Spiderman. Cap was kind of an idiot through the whole movie. Never tried very hard to convince anyone or explain himself.
    Completely disagree about Cap. He made his stance very clear. Governments change and he couldn't be sure that it would be the right people overseeing where they go, or that they would be allowed to act when it might be very necessary for them to at some point in the future. It just so happens that Stark was also right about them needing to be answerable to someone and take responsibility for their actions when things do go wrong. There might be some middle ground in there somewhere that would have satisfied all parties, but they didn't have time to really discuss and explore it before the situation with Bucky blows up and Cap is forced to act outside the law to try and help his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    While the first two thirds of the movie really did everything it could to make (SPOILER)Tony Stark look like a shortsighted tool
    I disagree with this as well honestly. Was Tony somewhat naive to just go in and trust the government? Maybe, but he also told Cap he wanted to sign it so they could work on improving the accords down the road but that they do need to be held accountable for what they do. Considering Tony is a man who's weapons killed who knows how many people, who's ego nearly got Pepper killed in Iron Man 3, and who almost destroyed the world by accidentally creating Ultron since he was literally answerable to no one it's not surprising he's started feeling this way. He's a guy carrying around a lot of guilt for the things he's done in the past and he's probably the least capable of coping with it personality wise. So when he's yet again faced with the horror of the things he's done he does his best to do what he thinks is right, but once again kind of let's his ego get away from him by thinking he's right and there is no other way forward at the time. Shortsighted surer but not a tool. He's a flawed man trying his best to make up for his mistakes and he doesn't always make the right choice. It's part of why he's such a great character.
    Last edited by Slothy; 05-11-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

We've had a few people whose views of Tony and Bucky changed immensely after seeing the revealing video at the end, (SPOILER) you know, the one where Bucky killed Tony's parents. Maybe it is just me, but I'm still not seeing past the whole 'Bucky is being mind-controlled' element. I can understand being pissed, and while it was incredibly dumb for Stark to fight for vengence after Zemo spelling out his plan involving just that, you know, he's angry. That's fine.

But I'm sorry, but Bucky was mind-controlled. It seems harsh to condemn him for something he had no control over. I mean, the only reason why we know what Bucky did was because of a conspicious, highly suspicious filming of the event. Like some kind of emotional blackmail.

Basically, I have more sympathy for Bucky. The reveailing video doesn't really change that opinion for me.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually feel worse for Bucky seeing how he killed them seeing as he knew the man. They might even have been friends really. And Bucky remembers it like he said. Hell, for him it probably feels like it just happened a year ago.

I agree with Formy. While the fight with those three was really well done, I kept thinking that Tony was being pretty stupid. Bucky was essentially just a weapon, it's like blaming a gun for killing your family instead of the person that used it.

Tony is a smart man, and I thought that was a pretty weak way to tear them apart tbh.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just watched it last night, and overall a really great film. Definitely the film Age of Ultron should have been with good story, great characterization, a good villain, good humor, and great conflict. I think my only major gripe with the film was the overuse of shaky cam that made fights scenes hard to follow and just made several scene in the film a bit jarring to watch. Never liked this type of cinematography and I really wish directors would stop overusing it. Other than that, Cap films are definitely getting better with each new one. The film also sold me on the Black Panther film, which I was still on the fence about. Spidey was great, as well as Ant-Man. Also, smoking hot Aunt May? That will make the new Spidey film interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Best movie in the MCU so far, far as I'm concerned. Can't find a whole lot to gripe about without nitpicking. The Russo Brothers did a good job of balancing out all the different characters. Nobody felt like they got too much or too little screen time. I'm a little more excited for Avengers 3 now knowing they intend to stuff 50+ characters into the two-part movie.

Both sides of the arguments were fleshed out well, and I loved Spider-Man and Black Panther in this. I'm definitely hyped for their movies now. I love how they made the new Spider-Man stronger than the other Avengers to balance out his lack of experience. Also...

(SPOILER)Giant Antman was bawse.

Peter Parker just nerding the smurf out with everyone. Love the way he so casually overpowers Bucky's metal arm and goes on about how cool it was.