View Poll Results: How do you feel about the use of emulators and roms?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legal ones are fine, the rest are evil.

0 0%
  • It's fine. It's the same as downloading/torrenting/streaming music and movies.

9 90.00%
  • Never even tried it tbh.

0 0%
  • Only if I already own/paid for the game, I do it for modding purposes.

1 10.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So....how do you feel about ROMS and emulators?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You might not be, but the uploader and hoster might. They're just covering their own asses with that notice. They probably never cared about the downloaders other than for ad traffic, if that was a thing yet.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I can't legally buy either the console or the game from a first-party source, then an emulator is a non-problem in my eyes.

If the publisher doesn't give a smurf enough to sell it, why should you feel guilty for emulating it?.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    when i was 12 or something equally young
    and i had 56kb

the rom site i went to had a copy of ff6 (3 megabytes)

and it said specifically that if you do not own the game, you must delete this file within 24 hours or it is illegal

so every day i spent 2 hours downloading ff6 over and over again
    and an hour playing it, if that
    Ahahaha that is officially funnier than you falling for the rumor that if you leveled Aerith up to level 99 that she wouldn't die.

I do not use them but I think it is funny how mis-informed people on twitch are to use emulators all the time with the reason "I have the original game" and so think downloading the game is okay because obviously most people using emulators do not make a copy of their own copy and download it instead, even if they have the game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I do not use them but I think it is funny how mis-informed people on twitch are to use emulators all the time with the reason "I have the original game" and so think downloading the game is okay because obviously most people using emulators do not make a copy of their own copy and download it instead, even if they have the game.
    OK isn't the same as legal. I think it's OK to go 5 km/h over the speed limit (and so do millions of other people), but that doesn't mean it's legal. Other things I think are OK, even if they aren't legal include not fastening my seatbelt if I'm just going to drive 50 meters, and also drink alcohol while walking around downtown on a saturday night.

There are also things that are legal that not everyone thinks is OK. Not everyone thinks it's OK with concealed carry in some american states, for example. In some middle eastern countries, it's legal to cut people's hands off for stealing. Do you think that's OK just because it's legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    when i was 12 or something equally young
    and i had 56kb

the rom site i went to had a copy of ff6 (3 megabytes)

and it said specifically that if you do not own the game, you must delete this file within 24 hours or it is illegal

so every day i spent 2 hours downloading ff6 over and over again
    and an hour playing it, if that
    Ahahaha that is officially funnier than you falling for the rumor that if you leveled Aerith up to level 99 that she wouldn't die.
    Now that I think about it, that doesn't really add up... 3 MB takes 8 minutes at 56k with 20% overhead.
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-05-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    OK isn't the same as legal. I think it's OK to go 5 km/h over the speed limit (and so do millions of other people), but that doesn't mean it's legal. Other things I think are OK, even if they aren't legal include not fastening my seatbelt if I'm just going to drive 50 meters, and also drink alcohol while walking around downtown on a saturday night.

There are also things that are legal that not everyone thinks is OK. Not everyone thinks it's OK with concealed carry in some american states, for example. In some middle eastern countries, it's legal to cut people's hands off for stealing. Do you think that's OK just because it's legal?
    I do not know what you want from me, I am not the one saying that it is okay. And yes, I think it is okay if it is legal. There would have to be some other examples with real morally questionable decisions (like your violence ones or the use of drugs) where I would say then that even if it is legal, it is not okay. In the emulator case I do not even say that it is okay, so that reply was completely unnecessary. And yes, those people I mentioned think the use of it is okay because it is legal, which it is not (neither okay, not legal). That is exactly what I wanted to say here.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-05-2015 at 05:47 PM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i rarely ever got speeds better than 1 kb/s from that website and it jumped up and down all the time... 1.5 hours might be a more truthful estimate

eventually i just kept the rom until my harddrive died in the great virus invasion of '98

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

I do not know what you want from me, I am not the one saying that it is okay. And yes, I think it is okay if it is legal. There would have to be some other examples with real morally questionable decisions (like your violence ones or the use of drugs) where I would say then that even if it is legal, it is not okay. In the emulator case I do not even say that it is okay, so that reply was completely unnecessary. And yes, those people I mentioned think the use of it is okay because it is legal, which it is not (neither okay, not legal). That is exactly what I wanted to say here.
    Do they specifically say it's legal because they own the game?

You've already agreed that the morality of actions are independent of the legality. Why is this different when it comes to copyright law?

I never said you thought it was ok.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Never before in my life have I seen a single image so accurately describe a situation.