Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reason you played the first game

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The reason you played the first game

Did you pick up the original Final Fantasy because it was a rite of passage to see how the series started, or did you get it because you genuinely just wanted another fun RPG to play, Final Fantasy or otherwise?

I think it can be a mix of both. Not only was I excited to see how it all started, but I also just wanted to play a fun game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played it because it was a Final Fantasy and I'm a bit of a completionist. I did enjoy it pretty well for it's own sake, and I still feel the game is pretty charming.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got it because Dawn of Souls looked like a really cool addition to my GBA collection, and the fact that it was part of the series was really just an added bonus.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

A friend brought it over because he was stuck in the temple of fiends. I one-shot it for him, then borrowed the game for my own play through. It wasn't my first rpg, but it was my first FF.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got it because I like final fantasy and wanted to play through a version of each numbered entry game. When I sat down to play it was just because I felt like playing a good rpg on my gba. It was a fun time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After FFVII quickly became my all-time favourite game, I needed to see where it all began.

Whilst obviously lacking in story, it was a well-balanced gem of a game. I thoroughly enjoyed it

I'm playing it right now, original NES version, for the first time, and if it carries on like this then it is going straight to the bottom of my list.

Yes it was the first, but I don't see that as a reason as that I have to like it. This game is too unfair, unreasonable, unforgiving, annoying, and the battles take forever. I've just acquired the mystic key - does this game ever speed up, or is it a constant struggle all the way through?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Welcome to the NES era
    I've actually beaten FFIII, but that was the DS version. I liked it, but I imagine it's NES counterpart is different

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
    This game is too unfair, unreasonable, unforgiving, annoying, and the battles take forever. I've just acquired the mystic key - does this game ever speed up, or is it a constant struggle all the way through?
    Later versions of the game (PS1, GBA, etc) are either easier or have an easier mode. Something like that.

From what I understand, the original NES versions of Final Fantasy games tend to be harder than their ports for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
    This game is too unfair, unreasonable, unforgiving, annoying, and the battles take forever. I've just acquired the mystic key - does this game ever speed up, or is it a constant struggle all the way through?
    Later versions of the game (PS1, GBA, etc) are either easier or have an easier mode. Something like that.

From what I understand, the original NES versions of Final Fantasy games tend to be harder than their ports for one reason or another.
    Yeah I assumed so. It was tempting to just play a remake of it instead, but I opted for the original, because it's the first ever, so I fancied a history lesson. Now I've come this far I must proceed lol. I may not be far in the game, but I've put loads of hours into it regarding leveling etc, and that dark elf boss was still hard!

The only other FF left for me to do after this one will be FF II, but I won't be doing the NES version of that, as the version I own is a remake from the ps store downloaded onto my psp.

After my brother and I played VI, eventually VII was announced and we played it. After that we wondered about the rest, in the NA release VI was labeled III so we wondered what happened to the others at the time. We soon discovered why it was so and found some older games. When we found FF I we brought it home and played the trout out of it. So for me, it was a brotherly bond kind of thing, we occasionally still talk to one another about games and new releases when we find the time.
    - I'm getting sick of this! Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you! - Sabin (FFVI)

- Shut up! You spoony Bard! - Tella (FFIV)

Curiosity, and to see if it had as good a boss theme as 7, the only one I'd played at the time.

You can imagine how disappointed I was. Enjoyed the game itself though.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I told the story before but I will tell it again.

I was allowed to rent a game from the local video rental store and after 20 minutes of trying to choose a title I chose Ice Hockey. Took it up to the counter to pay for the rental and when I got home to plug in ice hockey I noticed the original FF was in the case instead. My dad wasn’t going back to return it so I plugged it in and fell in love.

Because I could only play Dragon Warrior so many times, and wanted something similar and that seemed like the best bet.