Thread: Rank the Job Classes FFTactics Edition

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Rank the Job Classes FFTactics Edition

22 Universal Classes and 11 Special Classes (technically 12 if you count Ramza's Squire Class) Rank them all from best to worst and why. No groaning, just do it.

FFTactics Job List
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 12-04-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    True beauty exists in things that last only for a moment.
    Current Mood: Winter Journey's Tale ~ I am Setsuna

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Editor Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

1. Sword Saint

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was expecting more of a ranking for all of the classes Colonel...
    True beauty exists in things that last only for a moment.
    Current Mood: Winter Journey's Tale ~ I am Setsuna

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

33. Mime

Only 31 more to go.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll only do the Universal classes sans the Dark Knight, because screw doing 33 individual rankings

1. Samurai: Decent all-around stats, Iaido gives the capability of powerful damage, healing and buffing while differentiating friend and foe. The most useful ability however is Shirahadori, which has a very high chance of blocking physical AND ranged attacks, despite stating that ranged is excluded. The success rate is equal to bravery, so a character with 97 Bravery (the highest unboosted amount you can have) has a virtually guaranteed chance of blocking. The Samurai is a very broken class.

2. Monk: Arguably the best early-ish job you can get. Pre-packaged with physical and vital healing moves like Chakra which also restores MP, and becomes an absolute beast with a high bravery count. Should be Ramza's main job class for a good chunk of the game.

3. Time Mage: While the Black Mage is probably better as your equipped class, the Time Mage brings some very interesting things to the table that benefits everyone. The magick abilities are good, especially Haste, Quick and Immobilize. But it is the two support abilities that are worth mentioning: Swiftness, which reduces charge time, Mana Shield, which can help block damage to HP, and Teleport. It is Teleport that is arguably the best movement ability, effectively negating the Jump stat, and making movement so much easier. No longer can you be blocked by enemies, just teleport past them! It can fail, but as long as you don't attempt to teleport too far, it has a very good chance, and is worth using.

4. Ninja: Very fast movement speed, and can naturally equip two weapons at once, providing added damage. However, is very fragile and the 'throw' command is nothing to write home about. Learning Dual Wield is vital for the success of the class's transferability.

5. Black Mage: The Black Mage is the best magical unit, and possesses the highest base magick of any universal job. This makes them the magician of choice later in the game. The Black Mage spells suffer again from charging, but can create horrific levels of damage if targeting a weakness. The Black Mage can also grant Arcane Strength, a useful support. Really, the Black Mage is best with Arithmeticks as a secondary with all spells learned, as they basically become a master of all magick.

6. Chemist: Has very poor stat growth, but is a much better healer than the White Mage, and you will need healing. Can only heal one party member at a time however, and is not a strong combatant.

7. Arithmetician: Is only really this high because of the command ability you can pinch off them. As a job class, they're actually pretty weak: low magick among magical classes and the slowest speed in the game. The best thing to do is to nab the secondary command and move on. The support abilities are iffy except for Soulbind, so there's no need getting them.

8. Summoner: The Summoner brings some interesting cards to the table. Those infuriated with friendly fire will enjoy the Summoner's discretionary summons, who bring a wide variety of effects. The summons they have are flashy and fun, and can target a range of weaknesses. Earthen Wall in particular is a great defensive ability. They're not the best magicians, but they are worth considering until you have mastered other magical classes which can make the Black Mage truly shine.

9. Dragoon: Is sort of a beefier Knight. I actually find the Dragoon fairly boring in some respects because the only unique skill they can do is their Jump Command, which is basically a reaaally long range attack. It does good damage, particularly if a polearm is used (you are using one, right?), and the Dragoon can be made more 'exciting' with secondary abilities.

10. Knight: Your first physical job class. Dependable, if not stellar, offensive coupled with useful rending abilities. The job is rather flexible, and many roles can be co-adopted by the Knight. Throw Items/Items as secondary ability can make the Knight a decent front-line medic and Iaido or Monk abilities can help the Knight become more well-rounded.

11. Oracle: A decent support class, with the primary aim of debuffing enemies. However, the Black Mage also has a few ailments, as is a stronger magick user. Again, the Oracle's abilities are best used in conjunction with Arithmeticks or as a secondary ability. In anything, the most useful parts of the Oracle are the support skills: Manafont is great as MP is sometimes a rare commodity. Defence Boost raises physical defence by 33%, a decent amount.

12. Thief: A poor man's ninja, but with a great command: Steal. The ability to steal equipment will be helpful on many occasions, allowing you access to equipment you wouldn't be able to obtain until later. The Thief also allows the Move +2 and Jump +2 abilities, making all your units more mobile.

13. White Mage: The main problem with all magic is the charge time. In critical situations, you sometimes cannot afford to wait a few turns charging a healing spell, which is where the Chemist is better. What the White Mage does better is in group healing and buffing, though again, these can be achieved through other means. In all, the White Mage is good at first, but becomes more obsolete as better healing options become available.

14. Orator: Not very useful in combat. In certain situations, they can be used to good effect but they're so situational, you wouldn't want to keep them around constantly. For the purposes of raising bravery, faith and recruiting monsters they are helpful, but you would not have them in any other situation. The 'Equip Guns' ability you can learn is very useful for your Chemist, who otherwise are lacking in any offensive potential.

15. Archer: Good, long-range attacks but I never find the Archer to be particularly powerful. The Aim abilities are decent but you can never use the higher Aims unless you have a target immobilised: because of this, Time Magic on either the Archer or an ally can be useful. Even then, using Aim makes you vulnerable. The support abilities are nothing mentioning, with only Concentrate which is useful. Where the Archer shines however is the use of the Arts of War secondary ability, making the Archer a very capable debuffer from afar, crippling foes before they can even draw near.

16. Mime: I frankly found the Mime hard to handle, to be honest. They require careful planning to be effective, and effectively just copy the last action. I actually found them most useful in mimicking the Dancer/Bard abilities, making those abilities far more effective, though it does use up two members. In all, I just found them unwieldy.

19. Dancer: Not great. The charge time of their repeating dances are markedly high, forcing you to use the earlier abilities with a faster charge rate. Forbidden Dance is kinda useful at times, as is Mincing Minuet, but most of the status inflicting dances have a questionable hit rate. Really, the Dancer becomes more useful the more enemies there are, as they have a greater chance of affecting more creatures. Better than the bard, though.

17. Bard: With only five maximum members on your squad, it is debatable whether you want to effectively make one of them a totem pole. The idea behind the Bard is good: buffing your allies and healing them from a great distance, but the execution is poor. The chance rate is often shoddy, at best, particularly for the buffing songs.

18. Squire: Is fairly useless by itself, but unlocks very fundamental, and important, abilities like JP Boost and Focus.

19. Geomancer: I never found the Geomancer to be useful. It does have a toy box of various tricks which have a wide array of effects, but they are rather situational. It was just never a good class for me.

??. Onion Knight: They can't use any abilities? That seems... crap.

??. Dark Knight: Never used them. They seem powerful though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

Can I just say a Maste Black Mage with full Arithmeticks and knowing all other arithmetickable spells is pretty much the only Mage I'll ever need?

Oh, and the Dark Knight is the best regular offensive class, no contest. It helps that the stupid requirements make him learn so many useful skills.

Yeah, I don't exactly have the time and energy to do the full ranking

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Can I just say a Maste Black Mage with full Arithmeticks and knowing all other arithmetickable spells is pretty much the only Mage I'll ever need?
    That was kinda what I was going for. I only put Time Mage as higher because of just how damn useful Teleport is. Seriously, I have it on all my characters.

The Summoner is a great stand-in for the Black Mage before you've learned all the Arithmetickable skills, though. I still use the Summoner sometimes just because I like the summon animations.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'll do the special classes next weekend.

Ninja
    The ninja is a powerful unit when used in a conventional role, but becomes insane when you start twinking them. By removing their swords and using fists you get to use the higly abusable unarmed weapon stat multipliers, and unlike the Monk you have a head equipment slot to get even more PA boosts. When you have a class doing 300+ damage a hit by midway though chapter 3 you know you have a winner.

Dark Knight
    The real thing to write home about is the 100% hit rate on all the skills.

Black Mage
    Black magic can be highly powerful if you use it right, but what is so special about the black mage is that it has the highest magic stat, making it a perfect place to park a character once you have all the abilities you want them to use.

White Mage
    Healing magic does loose out later in the game, but Holy is an amazing spell. Not only is it powerful, it is fast (for a spell of it's calliber) and can't be blocked/avoided.

Summoner
    It's unfortunate that speed cripples this class later in the game. Both in terms of spell charging speed and the actual Summoner class itself having low speed. The odds of ever getting a high level summon off are low, but the lower level ones still pack quite a punch.

Monk
    It's unfortunate that the monk's skillset can't take advanage of the boosts from Brave and the exponential increase from PA. Also unfortunate that you can't take advantage of the stat boosts from a head equipment slot. As good as a monk is, if you take a Ninja and build them as a monk they are quite a bit better at it.

Dragoon
    Like a knight, but with longer range and the ability to fly back and possibly insta kill casters in the back.

Samurai
    This class is solid if just taking all the classes 'as is', but starts to lag when builds start being made to take use of abilities from other classes. No shield inhibits defence and there is an inability to equip stat boosting items. Draw out has decent utility, until you see what it can do in the hands of a Black Mage with full +MA equipment.

Geomancer
    Like a knight, but with the ability to equip status boosting armor and perform ranged attacks. I find this class to be very useful, just not something that can be boosted to increadibly good.

Chemist
    Thanks to guns the chemist has good utility in many roles. However the chemist also doesn't really have anything that makes them shine. At the end of the game +150 HP is just too little, but it does have the advantage of being instant.

Time Mage
    I'm not that much of a fan of the time mage, while haste is nice the other spells never spoke to me. Most of the time direct damage is preferable to a chance to inflict a status effect. I can plan arround damage, I can't plan arround a status effect that may or may not happen in a couple turns. Swiftness and Teleport are increadibly useful though.

Knight
    Low mobility, can't equip stat boosting armor.

Archer
    Without the Concentrate skill this class is almost a lost cause. You want to keep them safe and on high ground, which almost always necessitates attacking from the front. Also the damage doesn't keep up with a physical attack and since bows split between Spd and PA you can't increase the damage all that well.

Oracle
    The magic isn't all that helpful but what is helpful is the amount of damage the poles do, especialy with +MA equipment. Seriously, for most of the game they can be your strongest melee attackers.

Squire
    Knight does it all better, and I've already said there are classes that can do everything the knight can do but better.

Theif
    Only useful for getting rare gear and for Move +2, which is the bread and butter of my units for most of the game.

Mediator
    Only useful for raising Faith and if you happen to want to recruit a monster. (Though you are better off equiping the skill set on a class with higher MA)

Calculator
    Calculator is stat wise the worst in the game, by far. However Math Skill is the most powerful ability in the game, by far. Obviously having it on a Black Mage is quite broken, and more importantly an extremely un-fun way to play. Thus this sits at the bottom.

Bard
    Dancer
    They both aren't all that useful. Even at higher levels the dances are slower than the characters naural speed and they are loosing out on exp/jp by using them! Bard is higher because you can learn the Move +3 ability, which IMO is more often useful than Teleport.

Mime
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<