Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's in a Game?

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    If I said "I'm going to play a game of roulette" and someone said "Well actually I wouldn't define that as a game due to <whatever>" I'd probably want to hit them or never speak to them again.

'Game' is just a word right? Does it matter what situation it is used in as long as everyone understands each other?
    Well put!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If I said "I'm going to play a game of roulette" and someone said "Well actually I wouldn't define that as a game due to <whatever>" I'd probably want to hit them or never speak to them again.

'Game' is just a word right? Does it matter what situation it is used in as long as everyone understands each other?
    Good thing you'd probably never have to deal with something like that. However, this thread is actually about what makes a game a game, so you'll have to excuse me for sticking to the topic.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

Good thing you'd probably never have to deal with something like that. However, this thread is actually about what makes a game a game, so you'll have to excuse me for sticking to the topic.
    I simply left my opinion on what I think makes a game a game, just like you.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

If I can interact and affect what's happening on the screen, it's a video game as far as lazy me is concerned.

As far as picky anal me is concerned, there has to be a goal and a way to lose in order for it to be a video game, hence the "game" part, but that's not going to stop me from calling the other stuff video games too because there's simply no better term out there for them that you can use to where anyone else would know what you're talking about.

Maybe we should create one that applies to all interactive entertainment things but isn't misleading with the "game" part. Video.....exhibits? I don't know.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been mulling this over lately and trying to come up with an all-inclusive answer, so here goes.

A game requires only three things:

1. A game must be interactive on some level, whether it is physical, mental or both. A game must be something the player can take part in and manipulate to achieve something.

2. A game must have a goal to it. The goal is a loose term that can mean a variety of things and may change based on the type of game. The goal may be a win/lose scenario, a high score, an arbitrary ending, or it may even be metaphysical in nature.

3. A game must have defined rules the player must abide by to interact with and achieve the goal.

I feel this is probably the most broad and easy to understand definition of the term.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

That's a good definition Kanno. Simply, a game should be fun.

Str8 Pimpin'