Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FFVII Episode 1

So apparently each episode will be the size of a full game and will each be a unique story. So it sounds very much like these are separate experiences allowing you to play chunks of FFVII as self-contained games, and less part of one big whole.

It's almost like they're listening to me saying "Well, as long as it's not like this..." and then changing the design to make it like that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If the game takes too much space, they can just release it as a multidisc game instead of episodes that together add up to much more than a normal game. Sounds like a bad excuse at worst, but we'll have to wait and see.

Switching discs wouldn't be necessary if they make one install disc and another to keep in the console while you played. If they can't fit the game within 100 GB, the dev team is the problem, not the storage medium.
    This. Episodes for Final Fantasy VII is stupid as smurf when a multidisc game would work just fine.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So apparently each episode will be the size of a full game and will each be a unique story. So it sounds very much like these are separate experiences allowing you to play chunks of FFVII as self-contained games, and less part of one big whole.

It's almost like they're listening to me saying "Well, as long as it's not like this..." and then changing the design to make it like that.
    If this is the case then I wonder how they would enable the carrying over of items, levels, Materia etc.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post

If this is the case then I wonder how they would enable the carrying over of items, levels, Materia etc.
    That's my concern. Would that even be a thing?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

That's my concern. Would that even be a thing?
    There has to be, surely. If they don't it will be like starting at Level 1 on disc 2 :/
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Basically.

"Oh no, some people liked the action based combat! Quick, how can we kill the hype for this game even more?!"

So, no more backtracking. No exploration outside of where you're supposed to go next. No optional content...

It looks like this remake will, at least, prove exactly why the current AAA development system leads to objectively inferior products.

What makes you think they will? Lightning started back with no abilities during Lightning Returns, after all.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Lots of games can load saves from other games. Some games can even load saves from a different platform. MGS5 can load data from Ground Zeroes. FFX on PS4 can load data from FFX on PS3. Rogue Legacy can cross-save in either direction, PS4 to PS3 and PS3 to PS4. It's also automatic.

When I hear "each episode will be a full sized game", i can't help but to look at the length of many current gen titles. A full story-focused game can be as little as 8 hours nowadays.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Why makes you think it will be difficult to carry over progress and items? PS1 era was able to do it with separate discs, and technology is far and away better than it was in the 90s.

Now, if they will (since these are basically separate games and not just installments) is another question entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh, that's an overreaction if I ever saw one. They said they are adding MORE content to areas and that can't be contained on one disc. So to be able to add in MORE content they have to split it up. They are making the graphics very realistic and using the Unreal Engine 4 to do so. They're aiming to make this huge world. They will have trouble with the current data storage systems so they're releasing it in parts.

I'm perfectly okay with this myself and find no issue. If we're getting more content with amazing graphics, I don't really care how many games it takes to get it out. As long as it comes out!

EDIT: The bioware games can manage to port over choices from their different games currently so i'm sure it's possible for these games too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Well if it ends up episodic, I know I'll wait until they're all complete and I can buy the entire thing in one cheap bundle.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, honestly this doesn't bother me at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Oh, that's an overreaction if I ever saw one.
    -debris falls behind me crushing innocent bystanders-

What overreaction?

Oh, that's an overreaction if I ever saw one. They said they are adding MORE content to areas and that can't be contained on one disc. So to be able to add in MORE content they have to split it up. They are making the graphics very realistic and using the Unreal Engine 4 to do so. They're aiming to make this huge world. They will have trouble with the current data storage systems so they're releasing it in parts.

I'm perfectly okay with this myself and find no issue. If we're getting more content with amazing graphics, I don't really care how many games it takes to get it out. As long as it comes out!

EDIT: The bioware games can manage to port over choices from their different games currently so i'm sure it's possible for these games too.
    They're building each "episode" into its own full game. Why bother porting things? It would ruin the experience if you are the wrong level or have the wrong items when the new game starts.

I, for one, am not looking forward to playing through Midgar in four episodes, each with its own final boss and epic storyline that will be seen through to completion in thirty hour sections.

Sorry, I'll just go play the original.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

No one is stopping you from playing the original. Go happy. Enjoy that one.

We'll enjoy our new one.

No one is stopping you from playing the original. Go happy. Enjoy that one.

We'll enjoy our new one.
    Will you, though? Will you really?

Or will you get it, expecting to like it, only to find out it's a huge mess? And then either defend it out of fanboyism for the original and the dream of what the remake could have been, or put it away, forget about it, and never buy the remaining episodes?

We'll see what will really happen. I'm certainly not saying that the game is guaranteed to be awful. I just think showing any optimism at these baffling design changes is not a good idea, given Square's track record for the last decade.

Honestly, I'm worried for Bravely Second now. How quickly Square forgets what makes a good game...