Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FFVII Episode 1

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

VII isn't even in my top 5 FFs, but I will still enjoy it. Yes, yes I really will. I think you're placing your opinion onto others. I personally just think it looks fun so far.

I enjoy all of them because I'm not an overly critical person on really any media . Heck, i'm still excited about XV and it's been a decade lol

It all hinges on a very big 'if' really. I have two scenarios in my head: 1) Final Fantasy VII in all its glory, released in chunks. 2) Various chunks of Final Fantasy VII released as their own short stories, entirely independent from one another. If it's the former, great. If the latter... less excited.

And of course as Square are being their usual selves when it comes to terrible communication, it's easy to imagine (and speculate wildly) either way.

FFXIV Character

Bartholomew Drizzle (Exodus)

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    But what if it was spread across three releases and the -Episode 3- Final Fantasy VII: Meteorfall was based on something similar to Lightning Returns countdown.
    That...is an -amazing- idea. Not in the aspect that we'd have limited time once a point of no return happens, but it'd add a sense of urgency that wasn't in the original. You'd have to add like a week or two of gameplay time once the Shinra Rocket hits, maybe? But this helps warm me over to the Digital Disks idea a bit more.

And yes, Lightning Returns reset your progress a day or so if you got to the finals days without enough souls saved.

There has to be, surely. If they don't it will be like starting at Level 1 on disc 2 :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    So, no more backtracking. No exploration outside of where you're supposed to go next. No optional content...
    If this is the case then I wonder how they would enable the carrying over of items, levels, Materia etc.
    What makes you think they will? Lightning started back with no abilities during Lightning Returns, after all.
    A different game with a different goal, from a different director leading a different team, making a game that carries a different battle system than its series through. We're not expecting FFVII to change the very basics of the combat form one part to another... We know they're going to be carrying over levels, stats, materia, weapons, accessories, everything. Save data is going to be the same through episodes, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Oh, that's an overreaction if I ever saw one. They said they are adding MORE content to areas and that can't be contained on one disc. So to be able to add in MORE content they have to split it up. They are making the graphics very realistic and using the Unreal Engine 4 to do so. They're aiming to make this huge world. They will have trouble with the current data storage systems so they're releasing it in parts.

I'm perfectly okay with this myself and find no issue. If we're getting more content with amazing graphics, I don't really care how many games it takes to get it out. As long as it comes out!

EDIT: The bioware games can manage to port over choices from their different games currently so i'm sure it's possible for these games too.
    This. I am -not- perfectly ok with this. I find issue, myself. I was, like you, ready to go and buy a single disk sometime within the next few years. But I know jack-all about game development and if a team that has consistently delivered the greatest games I've played in my life, has settled, after years and years of contemplation, into spending millions in this kind of release, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The trailers look great, so I can't believe we're complaining while, say, the KoF fanbase is complaining about graphics, the Dark Cloud fanbase is crying for a new installment, the Last Guardian fanbase is crying tears of happiness and would likely be grateful for an episodic release, and the XenoSaga fanbase is never even going to see a remake of their series.

"I've been telling you for years, it's impossible. But wait! I think I've found a way! I'm doing it! and I'm adding -more- content! And check this out, I'm going to deliver the a huge game that I want to live up to the original's impact, and in a timely fashion too! but I'll be doing it piece by piece, hope you don't mind."

"SCREW YOU!!"

Will you, though? Will you really?

Or will you get it, expecting to like it, only to find out it's a huge mess? And then either defend it out of fanboyism for the original and the dream of what the remake could have been, or put it away, forget about it, and never buy the remaining episodes?
    If it's anything like what I expect from a Final Fantasy VII Remake, then yes, I'll buy the whole thing. Square is not (anymore) stupid enough to screw itself over for no reason. Obviously they're still working on this as an RPG, they obviously have to work the sidequests and backtracking (what little of it there was in FFVII) into the game. I'm too wondering how I'm gonna go back to Fort Condor after visiting the Gold Saucer, and how I'm going to get the mythril chunk when I want it, but they're probably going to plan the releases around giving the player as much of a choice as possibly.

If the whole thing is disappointing in content, releases, or carrying over from one episode to another, or fails to provide the options the original did once I actually play it, I promise I'll be right there complaining with you. The only two things I want to see, is how many episodes this is going to take, and how much they expect us to pay for each.

What I'm saying is, this isn't the first time Square does something insane. If it fails, it won't be their first major screw-up, but if it works and creates the JRPG of our times(again), it won't be the first time they've pulled off something incredible.
    Last edited by YoshioKST; 12-07-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    For better or worse, to be a fan of Final Fantasy is to witness history in the making.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It's gonna be seven episodes.

Calling it.
    They would be that lame.

Either they are doing 3 big episodes, similiar to the original discs or something like the 7 chapters I have mentioned. The question is how much it is gonna cost but in my opinion 3 big episodes or 7 also relatively big should not make such a big difference when it comes to the overall price.

Maybe we will be getting the first episode next year. That would be cool.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Either they are doing 3 big episodes, similiar to the original discs or something like the 7 chapters I have mentioned. The question is how much it is gonna cost but in my opinion 3 big episodes or 7 also relatively big should not make such a big difference when it comes to the overall price.

Yeah, cost is my main concern. If they expect 60 dollars for each episode I'm out, and I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take. If they did it like Telltale games on PC where the next part is automatically downloaded after getting the base game it wouldn't be so bad. But I think consoles require the player to individually download each new episode when they become available. I could be wrong since I never did the waiting game there outside of GoT.

With me importing games around the 100 bucks area I can live with some extra price for DLC on episodes. I mean, I doubt they are gonna be like "okay, 7 episodes, 7 x 60 = 420 bucks, thank you".

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Yeah, cost is my main concern. If they expect 60 dollars for each episode I'm out, and I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take. If they did it like Telltale games on PC where the next part is automatically downloaded after getting the base game it wouldn't be so bad. But I think consoles require the player to individually download each new episode when they become available. I could be wrong since I never did the waiting game there outside of GoT.
    I think we're dreaming if we think we're getting the whole thing for $60 at launch. Each episode may be a bit under that, but I expect you'll be looking at $80-$100 for the 'full' game.

VII isn't even in my top 5 FFs, but I will still enjoy it. Yes, yes I really will. I think you're placing your opinion onto others. I personally just think it looks fun so far.

I enjoy all of them because I'm not an overly critical person on really any media . Heck, i'm still excited about XV and it's been a decade lol
    I personally thought FFXII looked fun from the trailers. It wasn't. I thought FFXIII looked fun from the trailers. It wasn't either. Dirge of Cerberus. Crisis Core. FFXIII-2. Lightning Returns.

Square excels at making gorgeous trailers for crappy games these days. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be any good at making good games anymore. In fact, the prettier the game is, the worse it tends to be upon release.

Maybe you'll enjoy it. In which case, I'm glad you have a game you'll enjoy.

Maybe I'll enjoy it.

I just really, really doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshioKST View Post
    But what if it was spread across three releases and the -Episode 3- Final Fantasy VII: Meteorfall was based on something similar to Lightning Returns countdown.
    That...is an -amazing- idea. Not in the aspect that we'd have limited time once a point of no return happens, but it'd add a sense of urgency that wasn't in the original. You'd have to add like a week or two of gameplay time once the Shinra Rocket hits, maybe? But this helps warm me over to the Digital Disks idea a bit more.

And yes, Lightning Returns reset your progress a day or so if you got to the finals days without enough souls saved.
    So, 90% of the game's optional content is going to be missing, because it took place during that countdown time?

Of course, that system even being implemented was why I never played more than an hour or two of Lightning Returns. So, as soon as THAT "feature" is announced, it's going to guarantee that I don't buy it.

There has to be, surely. If they don't it will be like starting at Level 1 on disc 2 :/
    So, no more backtracking. No exploration outside of where you're supposed to go next. No optional content...
    If this is the case then I wonder how they would enable the carrying over of items, levels, Materia etc.
    What makes you think they will? Lightning started back with no abilities during Lightning Returns, after all.
    A different game with a different goal, from a different director leading a different team, making a game that carries a different battle system than its series through. We're not expecting FFVII to change the very basics of the combat form one part to another... We know they're going to be carrying over levels, stats, materia, weapons, accessories, everything. Save data is going to be the same through episodes, surely.
    You're not expecting FFVII to change the very basics of the combat from one part to another. I'm expecting everything to be built from the ground up with no cohesion or unity to vision with each episode, because I've lost almost all of my faith in Square is a developer.

The only things we have confirmed that are returning from the original game are:
    Characters, locations, and cross-dressing.

We know they're changing the mechanics. We know they're changing the story. We know they're changing the format. I don't expect this game to bear more than passing resemblance to the original.

Oh, that's an overreaction if I ever saw one. They said they are adding MORE content to areas and that can't be contained on one disc. So to be able to add in MORE content they have to split it up. They are making the graphics very realistic and using the Unreal Engine 4 to do so. They're aiming to make this huge world. They will have trouble with the current data storage systems so they're releasing it in parts.

I'm perfectly okay with this myself and find no issue. If we're getting more content with amazing graphics, I don't really care how many games it takes to get it out. As long as it comes out!

EDIT: The bioware games can manage to port over choices from their different games currently so i'm sure it's possible for these games too.
    This. I am -not- perfectly ok with this. I find issue, myself. I was, like you, ready to go and buy a single disk sometime within the next few years. But I know jack-all about game development and if a team that has consistently delivered the greatest games I've played in my life, has settled, after years and years of contemplation, into spending millions in this kind of release, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    Square hasn't "consistently" delivered the greatest games of my life IN HALF OF MY LIFETIME.

The trailers look great, so I can't believe we're complaining while, say, the KoF fanbase is complaining about graphics, the Dark Cloud fanbase is crying for a new installment, the Last Guardian fanbase is crying tears of happiness and would likely be grateful for an episodic release, and the XenoSaga fanbase is never even going to see a remake of their series.
    Again: The trailers for XII looked great. The trailers for XIII looked great. The trailers for XIII-2 looked great. The trailers for...

Good trailers do not make a good game.

People can complain about graphics all they want. I'll take a hit on the graphics to get a better game any time. Which is why I was enjoying Bravely Default while everyone else was waiting for XV.

"I've been telling you for years, it's impossible. But wait! I think I've found a way! I'm doing it! and I'm adding -more- content! And check this out, I'm going to deliver the a huge game that I want to live up to the original's impact, and in a timely fashion too! but I'll be doing it piece by piece, hope you don't mind."

"SCREW YOU!!"
    How much can you change of a game before it ceases to be a remake and just becomes a lousy piece of overcomplicated trout? Which is a good description of 90% of what Square has made in the past decade and a half.

Will you, though? Will you really?

Or will you get it, expecting to like it, only to find out it's a huge mess? And then either defend it out of fanboyism for the original and the dream of what the remake could have been, or put it away, forget about it, and never buy the remaining episodes?
    If it's anything like what I expect from a Final Fantasy VII Remake, then yes, I'll buy the whole thing. Square is not (anymore) stupid enough to screw itself over for no reason. Obviously they're still working on this as an RPG, they obviously have to work the sidequests and backtracking (what little of it there was in FFVII) into the game. I'm too wondering how I'm gonna go back to Fort Condor after visiting the Gold Saucer, and how I'm going to get the mythril chunk when I want it, but they're probably going to plan the releases around giving the player as much of a choice as possibly.
    My problem is that this is EXACTLY what I "expected" in a Final Fantasy VII remake from the current Square Enix.

It's just nothing at all like what I "wanted" in a Final Fantasy VII remake.

That's why I'm finding it very difficult to maintain the hype. Everything they have announced or explained about this remake is EXACTLY what I would have predicted the current Square to do:

Ruin the original plot? Check.
    Ruin the original game mechanics? Check.
    Release the game in a way to milk the most money from it? Check.
    Focus on graphics to the exclusion of all else, including fundamental game design elements? Check.
    Remove all sense of agency and exploration from the game? Check.

It sounds precisely like what I'd expect from a remake. Which is why I DID NOT WANT them to remake it.

I could be wrong. I could be massively misinterpreting this. But nothing they have said so far has given me any reason to trust that they have any idea what actually makes a good game any more. They don't appear to have learned from any of their (numerous) failings.

If the whole thing is disappointing in content, releases, or carrying over from one episode to another, or fails to provide the options the original did once I actually play it, I promise I'll be right there complaining with you. The only two things I want to see, is how many episodes this is going to take, and how much they expect us to pay for each.
    I'm more interested in how much they're going to butcher the plot, gameplay, characterization, exploration, minigames, tone, themes, and world design beyond what we've already seen.

What I'm saying is, this isn't the first time Square does something insane. If it fails, it won't be their first major screw-up, but if it works and creates the JRPG of our times(again), it won't be the first time they've pulled off something incredible.
    It will, however, be the first time they've pulled off something incredible with their flagship franchise in longer than I care to remember. If we discount Type-0 and Bravely Default, both of which were developed by relatively tiny sub-sections of the company, and neither of which was due to be released in the West, it would be the first time they've pulled off something incredible AT ALL since, what, 2001?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Can't wait to see how much bickering there is when we actually get a finished game/episode/whatever.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Skyblade, it sounds like you just hate everything new SE is doing and are stuck in the nostalgia "golden days". No one will be taking the original from you so you can enjoy that one all you want.

I personally have enjoyed every SE entry that has been out recently. Heck, even the cell phone games. (Although I haven't played LR yet but more because I've been super busy than because I'm avoiding it. Same for Type-0 but also price tag there as I don't have a PS4 yet.)

Your tastes don't translate to others so by saying the whole game is going to suck because YOU didn't like other things doesn't mean that it actually sucks for many people.

You CANNOT know if it will suck or ruin the original story because it isn't out. So by you saying it's ruined, making that a declarative fact, you're trying to speak for all fans by already declaring it is horrible. You can't speak for all fans because they don't all share your taste.

If you are so upset by what they're doing then don't pay attention to it. The classic VII just got added to the PS4 with all the new trophies, you can invest time in that new port instead if you'd like.

It will, however, be the first time they've pulled off something incredible with their flagship franchise in longer than I care to remember. If we discount Type-0 and Bravely Default, both of which were developed by relatively tiny sub-sections of the company, and neither of which was due to be released in the West, it would be the first time they've pulled off something incredible AT ALL since, what, 2001?
    I take it you don't play MMOs..... XIV is fantastic and probably, so far of what i've played, one of the best FF storylines i've seen in a long time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eh, I think I'm in a pretty good demographic for this because I liked the game, but not enough that changes would ruin the whole thing for me. Like if they messed up FFVIII or IX

But with that being said, it does look less interesting to me than the original. I prefer turn-based and I have no idea what this episodic thing means. Like others have said, I hope it doesn't come out being obscenely expensive because we have to buy the game several times

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If it gets me pieces of the game sooner and more content overall, I'll all for it unless each episode is a full $50. SE loves milking its fans but I don't think they'd go that far. My guess is that it will be three episodes for $30 each which makes it a $90 game which is expensive but may not be too bad if it is actually really big and really fun.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Skyblade, it sounds like you just hate everything new SE is doing and are stuck in the nostalgia "golden days". No one will be taking the original from you so you can enjoy that one all you want.
    But I still get to complain, don't I? This is the internet. What will I do if I can't whine about things I don't like?

And I don't hate everything new SE is doing. As I said, Bravely Default and Type-0 were bloody fantastic (Edit: I also still enjoy PARTS of the Kingdom Hearts games, even if they do have some really weird design choices and a plot that left the realm of sanity four entries ago. Theatrhythm is also pretty good, and one of the best rhythm games I've ever played). I just think the majority of the company is WAY too graphics obsessed, and has forgotten what makes a good game. Bravely Default had objectively the worst graphics of any console game Square has released in years. It was also, by far, the single best thing they have produced in years.

I personally have enjoyed every SE entry that has been out recently. Heck, even the cell phone games. (Although I haven't played LR yet but more because I've been super busy than because I'm avoiding it. Same for Type-0 but also price tag there as I don't have a PS4 yet.)
    Type-0 HD is on Steam, if you want to try it there.

Your tastes don't translate to others so by saying the whole game is going to suck because YOU didn't like other things doesn't mean that it actually sucks for many people.
    So, since all likes/dislikes are entirely subjective, everyone has their own opinions, and consensus is impossible, we should shut down the forum because there is no point to expressing our views or explaining the rationales behind them to anyone else.

You CANNOT know if it will suck or ruin the original story because it isn't out. So by you saying it's ruined, making that a declarative fact, you're trying to speak for all fans by already declaring it is horrible. You can't speak for all fans because they don't all share your taste.
    By similar logic, YOU cannot say that you'll enjoy it because it isn't out yet.

If you are so upset by what they're doing then don't pay attention to it. The classic VII just got added to the PS4 with all the new trophies, you can invest time in that new port instead if you'd like.
    I don't want to hate it, and I don't want to be unfair to it by coming to a conclusion before I have sufficient information.

I'm TRYING to keep an open mind with it.

Square's just making it really, really hard to stay enthused.

I take it you don't play MMOs..... XIV is fantastic and probably, so far of what i've played, one of the best FF storylines i've seen in a long time.
    XIV was so abysmal that they had to completely rip it apart and rebuild it from scratch. EVERYONE loathed XIV. The company made a public apology for it.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 12-07-2015 at 10:48 PM.