Thread: FFVII Episode 1

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Skyblade, it sounds like you just hate everything new SE is doing and are stuck in the nostalgia "golden days". No one will be taking the original from you so you can enjoy that one all you want.
    But I still get to complain, don't I? This is the internet. What will I do if I can't whine about things I don't like?
    You do get to complain but don't make declarative statements as you have been as that seems that you're trying to take a forefront postion about the game FOR fans rather than a fan voicing an opinion. Preface it with "I personally think.." rather than, "this sucks. They've ruined it."

And I don't hate everything new SE is doing. As I said, Bravely Default and Type-0 were bloody fantastic. I just think the majority of the company is WAY too graphics obsessed, and has forgotten what makes a good game. Bravely Default had objectively the worst graphics of any console game Square has released in years. It was also, by far, the single best thing they have produced in years.
    SE has been the forefront of graphics for literal decades. That was the whole big hooplah with the original VII. It was the first 3D RPG. VIII was one of the first that tracked actual human movements for their cinematics. etc etc. It's kinda their thing to have the best graphics. Focusing on them is no surprise here as it's pretty normal from them.

It will, however, be the first time they've pulled off something incredible with their flagship franchise in longer than I care to remember. If we discount Type-0 and Bravely Default, both of which were developed by relatively tiny sub-sections of the company, and neither of which was due to be released in the West, it would be the first time they've pulled off something incredible AT ALL since, what, 2001?
    I take it you don't play MMOs..... XIV is fantastic and probably, so far of what i've played, one of the best FF storylines i've seen in a long time.
    XIV was so abysmal that they had to completely rip it apart and rebuild it from scratch. EVERYONE loathed XIV. The company made a public apology for it.
    So that's a no then.

Looking at the Witcher Bundle on steam, the combines size of The Witcher (Enhanced Edition), The Witcher 2 (Enhanced Edition), and The Witcher 3 is a total of 75GB of space recommended to run. Three absolutely massive games.

A bluray on PS4 is 100GB (though you can do a 128GB blu Ray, I don't know know if those would run on PS4 though, or if anyone does it).

When Square says the game is to big to not do this episodically, I don't believe them.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Wonder if skyblade has actually played either of the versions, or if he's just going by things he's heard about the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Looking at the Witcher Bundle on steam, the combines size of The Witcher (Enhanced Edition), The Witcher 2 (Enhanced Edition), and The Witcher 3 is a total of 75GB of space recommended to run. Three absolutely massive games.

A bluray on PS4 is 100GB (though you can do a 128GB blu Ray, I don't know know if those would run on PS4 though, or if anyone does it).

When Square says the game is to big to not do this episodically, I don't believe them.
    I think it's more like SE can't afford to wait for the money to start rolling in until the game is entirely complete
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-07-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Skyblade, it sounds like you just hate everything new SE is doing and are stuck in the nostalgia "golden days". No one will be taking the original from you so you can enjoy that one all you want.
    But I still get to complain, don't I? This is the internet. What will I do if I can't whine about things I don't like?
    You do get to complain but don't make declarative statements as you have been as that seems that you're trying to take a forefront postion about the game FOR fans rather than a fan voicing an opinion. Preface it with "I personally think.." rather than, "this sucks. They've ruined it."
    I personally think that this sucks, and they've ruined it.

That better?

Although, let me iterate on this a bit.

From what I can tell, they've ruined it as a remake of FFVII. They've changed to much. I'm not sure what it IS now, but it isn't a remake of FFVII.

That doesn't mean that it's bad, just that it's not the same game anymore. They've changed too much. They've rebuilt the plot, the mechanics, the atmosphere, and the fundamental structure of the game.

This isn't a remake, it's a re-imagining.

That is not, necessarily, a bad thing in itself. It's just not what I wanted.

And I don't hate everything new SE is doing. As I said, Bravely Default and Type-0 were bloody fantastic. I just think the majority of the company is WAY too graphics obsessed, and has forgotten what makes a good game. Bravely Default had objectively the worst graphics of any console game Square has released in years. It was also, by far, the single best thing they have produced in years.
    SE has been the forefront of graphics for literal decades. That was the whole big hooplah with the original VII. It was the first 3D RPG. VIII was one of the first that tracked actual human movements for their cinematics. etc etc. It's kinda their thing to have the best graphics. Focusing on them is no surprise here as it's pretty normal from them.
    They didn't used to sacrifice gameplay for those graphics, though.

It will, however, be the first time they've pulled off something incredible with their flagship franchise in longer than I care to remember. If we discount Type-0 and Bravely Default, both of which were developed by relatively tiny sub-sections of the company, and neither of which was due to be released in the West, it would be the first time they've pulled off something incredible AT ALL since, what, 2001?
    I take it you don't play MMOs..... XIV is fantastic and probably, so far of what i've played, one of the best FF storylines i've seen in a long time.
    XIV was so abysmal that they had to completely rip it apart and rebuild it from scratch. EVERYONE loathed XIV. The company made a public apology for it.
    So that's a no then.
    Pretty much. I don't have time for them anymore. The pacing on most MMOs is atrocious. They push you into group content, sacrificing player agency and personal progression for a social experience I care nothing about, PvP content I suck at and do not enjoy, or massive group battles where I never feel as though I am contributing anything or getting anything out of the experience.

I have yet to see a single MMO that wouldn't be vastly improved if it were converted into a single player game. I used to enjoy a number of them, and I respect the rights of others to enjoy them. And, if Square has made one that appeals to a great number of people, I congratulate them for it.

At least they can do SOMETHING right when it comes to large-scale projects.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand I'm worried SE will come up with some bulltrout pricing structure for this.

On the other hand I'm also kinda glad. The last game Nomura released as a Director, on a home console, was Kingdom Hearts II. That was like 12+ years ago. Sure he's shipped some handheld titles as a Director since then, but the other home console title he was working on... Versus XIII... was in development forever. At least if VII is going to be episodic there's more chance I'll actually see it within the next 2 years. Hopefully having an episodic structure will also get SEJ to sort their trout out when it comes to their own development cycles.

The thing is though :

A ) Not everybody is made of money

B ) Paying roughly about $60 for ( assuming here ) seven episodes is smurfing stupid when SE can easily include about 4 discs for the one game, like they did during the old PSONE days. It's not that hard.

Just not going to even- I'm just going to watch this game on a Let's Play on YouTube when it comes out. You rich folks can enjoy spending up to $ 200- 300 on one video game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    The thing is though :

A ) Not everybody is made of money

B ) Paying roughly about $60 for ( assuming here ) seven episodes is smurfing stupid when SE can easily include about 4 discs for the one game, like they did during the old PSONE days. It's not that hard.

Just not going to even- I'm just going to watch this game on a Let's Play on YouTube when it comes out. You rich folks can enjoy spending up to $ 200- 300 on one video game.
    But then they can't milk the franchise like they've been doing since the beginning of the Compilation.

Trout, I shouldn't even be surprised by this. Why do I continue to let things I should've seen coming a mile away shock me? Foolish Ayen. You and your optimism.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think it's a little bit premature to start freaking out that this game is going to be $300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post
    I think it's a little bit premature to start freaking out that this game is going to be $300.
    But it's not too early to start freaking out that it's going to be the perfect remake that exactly captures the feel of the original game but elevates everything else about it to the point of perfection?

Personally, I think $300 is an underestimate.

If each episode is supposed to be its own game (which is what they seem to be billing it as), then we're looking at $50 or so per episode. Even with just 7 episodes, that's $350. And it could easily be more. Plus DLC.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Who's saying 7 episodes? Based on what?
    I think 3, one per PS1 disc, is more likely
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Maybe the plan is to release a new part every 2 - 3 years. If each disc is its own game, then it's more like a franchise of its own at this point, which would make each part a sequel game pretty much. I already see people in other places comparing it more to like how Mass Effect works than how Telltale works.

So take your average price range, and average consumer with a job, and by the time the next part comes out they would've made that money back to be able to afford the next installment.

I'm just speculating, but that may be the end goal. We could be looking at a FFVII Trilogy.

I'm kinda starting to warm up to the idea. Dammit.

But it's not too early to start freaking out that it's going to be the perfect remake that exactly captures the feel of the original game but elevates everything else about it to the point of perfection?

If each episode is supposed to be its own game (which is what they seem to be billing it as), then we're looking at $50 or so per episode. Even with just 7 episodes, that's $350. And it could easily be more. Plus DLC.
    ^ All of this

It's so ludicrous.

Could you imagine paying for each disc when the OG game came out ? No, because it would've been stupid.

What's even more silly is that this is a game that we have all loved and played before, we are paying extra for a game that's not new and what will be extras and will be included will be things like Genesis etc- things most of us don't enjoy.

Not even smurfing Scoorge Mc Duck would be this full of greed and he brought his maid a Halloween card for her birthday because it was cheaper.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Okay, for the sake of conversation, I'll humor your guess that it will be 7 episodes*. The implication I got from their statement was that the game will be released over 3 or 4 years, as they make it. So is $50 twice a year really THAT much? The way I see it, SE gets their money to continue making a game, fans get a superior product that has has lots of time and resources invested into it, and no one has to pay a huge lump sum for one overly massive game. Everyone wins.

And for what it's worth, I DO think it's too early to be picking apart what little we've seen and start fanboy raging about how OMG IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAAAAAME. I've expressed displeasure at it being turned into an action game, but we all knew going in that was going to happen. Apart from that, I really can't criticize what we've seen because it looks gorgeous. Okay, I can criticize Wedge's voice because it's horrible, but everything else is great.

*I think they'll probably work this like Telltale does and you pay one fee up front and get to download it as it's released. Just because each installment is being treated as a separate game doesn't mean they'll charge you for it. It just means there's a lot of content because FFVII is a massive game, and it's going to be even more massive with updated graphics.
    Last edited by Jinx; 12-07-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I definitely expect you're going to end up paying more than standard retail for everything here. If they truly are going as big and grand as they say, and really honestly throwing everything at it to make it the ULTIMATE FFVII experience...

That's going to come with a price. My guess is that one of the reasons this took so long is because the folks at the top of the chain refused to fund a remake, as it would be very unlikely to sell as well as the original. And seeing as doing it justice would cost far more than the original... so to try and make up that shortfall, I expect they're going to try and get more cash out of every sale they do get. Probably around 50% more, I think that'd be the limit before too many people started just saying 'nuts to this'. Think about it, if they release one episode every 6 months, $20 per episode... that seems reasonable, right? 5 episodes and voila, that's $100 per user.

Okay, for the sake of conversation, I'll humor your guess that it will be 7 episodes. The implication I got from their statement was that the game will be released over 3 or 4 years, as they make it. So is $50 twice a year really THAT much?
    Yes, for a video game. A video game. Something that's supposed to be fun entertainment for a couple of hours on a Saturday night. Plus it all adds up ?

SE is turning into EA and those Sims games that cost about $100 just for some new Sim hair :/
    Last edited by maybee; 12-07-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: I'M UPSET AND CAN'T POST RIGHT ANYMORE