Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FFVII Episode 1

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar Jinks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I think it's a little bit premature to start freaking out that this game is going to be $300.
    But it's not too early to start freaking out that it's going to be the perfect remake that exactly captures the feel of the original game but elevates everything else about it to the point of perfection?

Personally, I think $300 is an underestimate.

If each episode is supposed to be its own game (which is what they seem to be billing it as), then we're looking at $50 or so per episode. Even with just 7 episodes, that's $350. And it could easily be more. Plus DLC.
    Okay, for the sake of conversation, I'll humor your guess that it will be 7 episodes. The implication I got from their statement was that the game will be released over 3 or 4 years, as they make it. So is $50 twice a year really THAT much?
    Yes, for a video game. A video game. Something that's supposed to be fun entertainment for a couple of hours on a Saturday night. Plus it all adds up ?

SE is turning into EA and those Sims games that cost about $100 just for some new Sim hair :/
    But, to be fair, it looks a lot prettier than The Sims.

That's all we're expected to pay for, right? Graphics?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Okay, for the sake of conversation, I'll humor your guess that it will be 7 episodes. The implication I got from their statement was that the game will be released over 3 or 4 years, as they make it. So is $50 twice a year really THAT much?
    Yes, for a video game. A video game. Something that's supposed to be fun entertainment for a couple of hours on a Saturday night. Plus it all adds up ?

SE is turning into EA and those Sims games that cost about $100 just for some new Sim hair :/

Yeah, but it all adds up...over three years? I can't speak for your finances, but the average person should be able to pay that with no problem. Skip eating out or going to the movies or Starbucks a few times. Bam. You've got the cash.

I'd like to hear from the FFXIV players who pay $15 a month to play a game how they'd feel about it. Since they're paying about $200 a year to play a game.

And also saying "Oh, it's a fun game for a Saturday night" is kind of disingenuous. People aren't going to play this game to sit down for a blow off fun experience. If they want a game like that, they're going to play Mario Party or Little Big Planet or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

SE is turning into EA

Jinx and I seemed to have arrived to the same conclusion on pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

But, to be fair, it looks a lot prettier than The Sims.

That's all we're expected to pay for, right? Graphics?
    You can't drown Genesis in the pool though.

Basically- that and then there's DLC for Yuffie, Vincent, the Weapon bosses, Lightning Cloud Costume, anything else SE can fart out of their asses for some more cash.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I thought they already said they weren't gonna bring in the compilation characters.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I thought they already said they weren't gonna bring in the compilation characters.
    The verdict is still kind of out on that one since Wolf's last post on the matter.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

where is this?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yeah, but it all adds up...over three years? I can't speak for your finances, but the average person should be able to pay that with no problem. Skip eating out or going to the movies or Starbucks a few times. Bam. You've got the cash.

I'd like to hear from the FFXIV players who pay $15 a month to play a game how they'd feel about it. Since they're paying about $200 a year to play a game.

And also saying "Oh, it's a fun game for a Saturday night" is kind of disingenuous. People aren't going to play this game to sit down for a blow off fun experience. If they want a game like that, they're going to play Mario Party or Little Big Planet or something.
    If you want to pay that much overtime and that you are completely fine with it, that's fine- though I just feel like it's incredibly stupid to end paying $300 + just for a video game remake.

YouTube is always fun and free, so just going to go there and watch other people play the game

IMO the whole episode thing is just very greedy of Square, and has already mentioned- they could easily just put the game onto separate CD's all at once like the original game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    where is this?
    It was in the Gameplay Trailer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I don't mind any of this.

I'll be happy with any changes as long as they leave the Compilation nonsens out of this.
    *waits for Genesis, Deep Ground, and the Legendary Turk to make cameos in the next trailer.*
    Kitase actually said in an interview a little while ago that none of the new characters introduced in the compilation will be featured in this game.
    If you're talking about this interview from Famitsu. He never said anything about the Compilation, which technically would be "old" characters seeing how it's been ten years since that fiasco started. He simply said no "new characters" which looking at ports and remakes of other JRPGs, it tends to be trendy to shoe-horn in a new character to mix it up for old fans. So I would say its still a possibility this game will tie into the Compilation unless you're referencing a different interview.
    Too many FFVII threads going on. I can't keep up.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I think they are doing this more due to time than anything. Can you imagine how much work this project involves based off of the trailer we've seen of the Midgar gameplay... which is ultimately like, what... the first hour of the game.

I see this episodic approach as a way of getting large chunks of the game in the hands of players sooner. Sure SE will more than likely make a tidy profit out of it (much of which I imagine will get funneled back into the development of subsequent episodes), but I'd rather be able to play it sooner than have to wait 10 years (optimistically) to play the complete experience.

What I imagine is the first episode will have an option to pay up front for all the future episodes, or the future episodes can be bought individually at the consumers discretion. Much like the way Resident Evil Revelations 2 worked, where the cost of all the episodes combined pretty much amounted to standard retail price. Episodes will probably be staggered over the PS4/One lifespan and we'll more than likely see the "complete collection" as a bundle around launch of the PS5/XBOX4K.

Either way I think it's a bit premature to start throwing the toys out of the pram when they haven't even announced how many episodes there will be, or how much they will cost.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

^ I agree. We're all running away with ourselves a bit here!
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    ^ I agree. We're all running away with ourselves a bit here!
    Well, I mean, we're all pretty handsome. Why wouldn't we want to run away with ourselves?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Episodic nature of the game doesn't really bother (course I'm probably not going to be day one or maybe even year one purchase) but I can easily see them released as 8-10 hour blocks of gameplay for each episode. The first one would be the Midgard section, the second would do the Nibelheim flashback and everything up to Costa Del Sol and then so forth. If its cut down to bite size hunks like that, then the game could be anywhere from 7 to 15 episodes depending on how they cut it. If they are small 8-10 hour blocks, SE may make them about $15 to $20 dollars per episode and the series could be released with bi-annually depending on their production schedule. I'm actually assuming this whole thing may also be digital only with Episode 1 probably having a disk for old times sake but subsequent episodes will be pure digital just to save on resources.

Backtracking isn't going to be too much of an issue as the first disk is largely linear and the game only opens up once the Highwind becomes available about a third of the way into the second disk. I'm pretty sure the side content will be drastically changed anyway though I'm sure Chocobo Breeding, the Battle Arena, and the KotR quest will remain but be modified to some degree. "Extra story content" is pretty subjective as the stuff done for the remakes of FFIII and IV were minimal, with FFIV getting one new cutscene giving Golbez more backstory and III got the opening slightly changed to give the four faceless Onion Knights characterization that changed absolutely nothing about the game for better of for worse. Honestly, after the clustersmurf that was the Compilation, I would frankly be amazed to see SE find new ways to smurf up this game's plot anymore than it has to and I'm still expecting Genesis to show up in the Nibelheim scene in some capacity, despite that still being up in the air.

Course I don't really care at this point anymore. Everyone on this forum knows my feeling about VII so SE can whore this game as much as they want. smurf yeah, make Genesis a new party member and charge full retail price of $60 an episode and make it 21 episodes long (3 Discs times the allusion of 7) and have the ending ambiguously shoot us towards that FFVII-2 the Compilation promised us. Hell, I hope there is an entire section where you have to play as Cait Sith and only him, have his entire combat system be relegated to a slot machine to tie into both his Limit Break and the DMW from Crisis Core. It will be fantastic. Let the ending be changed where Holy saves the planet and resurrects Aerith and Zack while its at it. Then we can have Kitase say AC is still canon to the Remake just to make fans heads explode.

There is no reason for Genesis in the Nibelheim flashback to be seen because neither Tifa nor Cloud have seen him. Cloud mixed his memories with Tifa's memories. Both did not see Genesis for the 5 minutes he appeared to beg for S-cells. Of course it is possible nonetheless as with the JENOVA-cell-confabulation everything can be brought in Cloud's mind - just as they did to bring in the Cloud version of the cellar incident even though only Sephiroth and Zack were included. It just is not guaranteed. I am expecting more of a Genesis hint went it comes to finding Banora or mentioning Deepground or "the greatest SOLDIERs to have every existed".

As far as episodes go, I expect (but am not angry if they do not appear) some more lively content) like playing Jessie and the others to defend the Sector 7 pillar, playing as Reno, Rude and Elena, et cetera.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-08-2015 at 08:11 AM.