Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FFVII Episode 1

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Please, no Genesis. No Genesis. No Genesis. Pleeeeeeaase...
    Pretty sure G only has a very little scene to be hinted. He was the secret ending chara in DoC therefore I think most of him will be shown after he returns and not during his sleep.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I was a little upset at the episode news at first, but as long as the price is reasonable then whatever. I have a bad feeling this method of releasing the remake is going to horrendously backfire, though.

Fans cannot be pleased, are talking crap and then end up buying it anyway. So backfiring ... it depends.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    There is no reason for Genesis in the Nibelheim flashback to be seen because neither Tifa nor Cloud have seen him. Cloud mixed his memories with Tifa's memories. Both did not see Genesis for the 5 minutes he appeared to beg for S-cells. Of course it is possible nonetheless as with the JENOVA-cell-confabulation everything can be brought in Cloud's mind - just as they did to bring in the Cloud version of the cellar incident even though only Sephiroth and Zack were included. It just is not guaranteed. I am expecting more of a Genesis hint went it comes to finding Banora or mentioning Deepground or "the greatest SOLDIERs to have every existed".

As far as episodes go, I expect (but am not angry if they do not appear) some more lively content) like playing Jessie and the others to defend the Sector 7 pillar, playing as Reno, Rude and Elena, et cetera.
    You forgot about the part where Cloud gets his ass handed to him protecting Tifa from Genesis Copies that ambush the group while Zack and Sephy are talking to Captain Emo. Not to mention that Crisis Core retcons why Zack and Sephy went there to begin with, though the Turks are there for the original reason. Speaking of, we also have the Turks wandering around the Reactor as well but they can easily be sidestepped from the plot since they only ever seem to come into contact with side characters and only engage Cloud after most of the story is said and done. You know despite having one of the original writers and two of the other writers on staff for the Compilation, the CoVII has a hard time keeping consistency with its own plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

You forgot about the part where Cloud gets his ass handed to him protecting Tifa from Genesis Copies that ambush the group while Zack and Sephy are talking to Captain Emo. Not to mention that Crisis Core retcons why Zack and Sephy went there to begin with, though the Turks are there for the original reason. Speaking of, we also have the Turks wandering around the Reactor as well but they can easily be sidestepped from the plot since they only ever seem to come into contact with side characters and only engage Cloud after most of the story is said and done. You know despite having one of the original writers and two of the other writers on staff for the Compilation, the CoVII has a hard time keeping consistency with its own plot.
    I forgot nothing. There were replicas, but if Cloud has even seen Genesis for more than an second (or at all) or so was not mentioned. Also, seeing how much of the story can be expanded upon and can always be explained by "it was not mentioned before" it is not a retcon.

By the way: Retcons are not bad. FFVII-1 is a mess. It can only get better as long as the most important aspects are not totally rewritten.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't think there's anything in the Compilation that makes the original story better. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I really don't think there's anything in the Compilation that makes the original story better. At all.
    Shoo, go away, Fynn.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-08-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To those complaining: I'm genuinely interested in how people can give the likes of Mass Effect and Uncharted a free ride on having multiple games in the series which all tie into each other (okay, very loosely in Uncharted), but then when FFVII - a game that was probably longer than all three Mass Effects put together - having three games... they rage. I understand that the original was a single game. But they also weren't making it for the PS4, with the detail being put into the remake. I imagine that there is only so much a single game sale can cover for FFVII. I would love it if this turns out to be a single £50 game, but I would also be absolutely stunned. If this is indeed going to be the biggest game in history when it comes to the amount of data it takes up, then I am not shocked they would want to charge considerably more than the cost of a single game.

But as I've said before, people need to remember that this is not the best game in the world. This is just a tribute.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I think the reason they're upset is that the game was initially a complete package that you could go through at your own pace. This time around, the scope will be limited for each episode. So comparingthis to Mass Effect or the like is really not that fair since those were designed from the beginning to be more games than one, while here we're dealing with a remake of a game that was already whole.

If it is episodes, then I'm fine with waiting until the end when it's all put together, I'm not too fussed these days on playing games as soon as they come out.

My only real concern is them including anything to do with the compilation. I'm with Fynn (and most fans it seems), at best it brings nothing to the original game, at worst it is a detremant.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You couldn't do "everything at once" in FFVII. That's why there were multiple discs. Different content on different discs. *shrug*

I can understand wanting to have everything at once. But as Aul mentioned - would you want to wait 10 years for that to happen? I mean, you can, I guess, wait until the final episode if you hate episodic content. That's what I'm doing with Dreamfall: Chapters. But FFVII I will be all over from the moment it is out, because, omg, if there is one game I will get on release without question it's an FFVII remake.

But my comparison price-wise is fair.

1. Mass Effect - £40
    2. Mass Effect 2 - £40
    3. Mass Effect 3 - £40

So that's £120 already. Right. But then you add in major DLC. Let's say that adds up to another, what, £40? Maybe? I'm really not good at DLC costs at release.

Anyway, £160 basically for the "full game" of Mass Effect. If FFVII ends up having more content than all three Mass Effects alongside their major DLC, then I feel that expecting the cost of the game to be £50 or so is ridiculous. And it's looking like this could well be the case. With that in mind, I think if I had to choose between paying £20-50 per "episode" or waiting a long time and paying £160 in one big whack... I'd prefer the former, thanks!

EDIT: Regarding the compilation, for the most part I agree that the original game was best as it was originally, and that I prefer it in that state. However, this game is a tribute. If I wanted to play the original, I'd play the original.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wasn't saying the episodic format is wrong - I agree that it's better than waiting ten years. I'm just saying those complayining have a point - you could rush through as fast as you wanted, and you'd still have the whole game available to you from the getgo.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    You couldn't do "everything at once" in FFVII. That's why there were multiple discs. Different content on different discs. *shrug*
    Only the FMVs were different for each discs. Disc 1 has the northern crater area and music on it. While it's true that you had to change discs, this was only really for storyline progression. Outside of FMVs, the game is about 100 MB, and all of it is present on every disc.

Quests were limited by storyline progression, not what content was present on each particular disc.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?