Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: FFVII Episode 1

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    In what way would you say MGS5 is episodic?
    Because of this.

e: Ground Zeroes wasn't a demo for TPP, paid or otherwise.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'm not against the FFVII episodic format in theory, but this type of approach is not really comparable to any of the major series right now, except possibly the Telltale games.
    A better shout is probably Square's own Life is Strange series given the publisher. Or for a full Triple A game, Metal Gear Solid V. Sort of.
    Also StarCraft II.
    Ahh Starcraft II is the perfect example.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    In what way would you say MGS5 is episodic?
    Because of this.

e: Ground Zeroes wasn't a demo for TPP, paid or otherwise.
    I know it wasn't a demo. It's more like a prologue. Because of the difference in size between the two games, I don't think it's fair to call it an episodic game on a whole. Either of the two are independent of the other. There's nothing that happens in GZ that isn't almost entirely explained in TPP.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

They were intended to be released as one as FFVII was, and was split due to development time, as presumably FFVII was. They were also released under the shared title of MGS V. Square will have paid attention to both pricing and sales when making this decision.

I also disagree that TPP explains GZ well but that's not really a discussion for this thread.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is ridiculous, they pumped out FFVIII in a year. A year! And that is longer than FF7.

I don't care how big it is. You had years upon years. Finished game or NADA!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    I don't care how big it is. You had years upon years. Finished game or NADA!
    I rather agree with this. Part of the reason given for FFVII:Remake being episodic is that it's apparently "too hard" to release it as a complete game. As I understand it, that's similar to the reason they gave for making FFXIII a linear story with no explorable towns or cities.

If "too hard" is their entire rationale, then I'll personally see it as a cop-out. The original FFVII would have been a top-down, 2D Final Fantasy like its predecessors if they had been too scared to do something new just because it was hard.

If it's not actually possible to release FFVII:R as a complete title, then that's understandable. If it's more profitable to release it episode-by-episode, then I'd still understand the decision, albeit with a distinctly frowny face. If it's just a question of doing what's easiest and least scary, then they might as well team up with Konami to "honour" FFVII's 20 year legacy by releasing a commemorative pachinko machine instead.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Everything is "too hard" when they spend 5 years creating a brand new game engine that they decide to use for just one single game. Then do the exact same thing with the next engine they make.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Please, no Genesis. No Genesis. No Genesis. Pleeeeeeaase...
    If they include Genesis, then yeah, I'm def out.

Episodes ? Okay. can maybe deal with that at the end of the day, after all the game will come out much quicker and there will be no KH 3/ FF XV deal.

But Genesis ?

Nope, nope, nope. Will never recover.

Default Final Fantasy VII Remake. Episodic? Good or Bad?

http://www.gamegents.com/2015/12/11/...make-episodic/

Article discussing whether the possibility of an Episodic release would be good or bad. What us 25 plus years olds have been waiting on for so long and whether this game will cater to us at all. A look into the possibilities with the battle system and how out of this world graphics are not the most important part of this remake.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Note: Reports keep telling us to “remember” that this “remake” is a “new” game. A “new” experience. WTF. So they’re going to expand the “scope, gameplay” of the game, but would have to make compromises towards the Final Fantasy 7’s original content. How does that make any sense?
    Short answer: it doesn't.

Good article. I think it's going to come down to the execution at the end of the day. Let's see if Square learned anything.

I agree. My hope is less then it was a couple months ago however.

I just wanted a complete game on one or more disks. That was all.

A breakdown on the "episodic" nature of Final Fantasy VII, and some expectations for what it might mean going forward. I think it's an excellent analysis and prediction of the multi-game format we should expect.

Boco :(

They're going to screw everything up