Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FFVII Episode 1

Default FFVII Episode 1

CVloM7zWEAAQFps.png
    http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-fi...sod-1746564216

So, are we going to see massive waits between stories? Tremendous changes to the game in later episodes based on player feedback (a la the XIII trilogy)?

Or will we merely see this screen at that memorable moment when the most famous spoiler in gaming occurred?
    dZMyq9s.png

Articles
    Blog Entries

That sentence makes no sense.

I'll wait for the announcement of the announcement of Square clarifying this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mochi_wsj...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

According to this tweet, it's because the game is too massive. So, welcome to the return of multi-disc gaming.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I really hope this game won't be episodic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

According to this tweet, it's because the game is too massive. So, welcome to the return of multi-disc gaming.
    The way he talks it sounds like they're turning one game into a franchise instead of just having multiple discs.

I'm taking this all with a grain of salt right now. Journalists aren't always the most reliable sort.

It is probably one disc but chapters that heavily focus on this and that aspect.

Chapter 1 - Midgar
    Chapter 2 - Chasing Sephiroth
    Chapter 3 - The Black Materia/Aerith's Death
    Chapter 4 - The Knowlespole
    Chapter 5 - Great Materia/Cloud's Confabulation
    Chapter 6 - Shinra's End
    Chapter 7 - Birth of a God

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

This sounds....awful.

I was so hyped. ;__;
    I like Kung-Fu.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be glorious. Especially if it manages to be exactly three discs again.

If the game's really going to need multiple discs, then that says a lot about how much detail and depth there's likely to be. Vast open-world titles currently tend to require only one disc, so I'm going to be chuffed if the FFVII remake has such a vast, explorable world that one current-gen disc simply can't hold it all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    It is probably one disc but chapters that heavily focus on this and that aspect.

Chapter 1 - Midgar
    Chapter 2 - Chasing Sephiroth
    Chapter 3 - The Black Materia/Aerith's Death
    Chapter 4 - The Knowlespole
    Chapter 5 - Great Materia/Cloud's Confabulation
    Chapter 6 - Shinra's End
    Chapter 7 - Birth of a God
    Like how Bravely Default had chapters? Odd, if that's what they're going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

That would be glorious. Especially if it manages to be exactly three discs again.

If the game's really going to need multiple discs, then that says a lot about how much detail and depth there's likely to be. Vast open-world titles currently tend to require only one disc, so I'm going to be chuffed if the FFVII remake has such a vast, explorable world that one current-gen disc simply can't hold it all.
    That sounds pretty intense. They haven't even reported something like this being needed for FFXV and that world looks huge.

Just a reminder for everyone:

If they do this for EVERY location in the game, this game is going to be more massive, data-wise, than any other game ever made.

Think about the number of backgrounds in FFVII. So many unique and detailed pictures. If they translate every one of those to 3D..? It's going to be MASSIVE.

Games were made differently back then. Open world games very rarely have even a touch of the level of details we've seen here, let alone having the staggering variety of locales and assets that FFVII did. Making a new village in Skyrim is mostly copy and pasting buildings. Making a new village in FFVII means switching from Wutai, to Junon, to Midgar, to Rocket Town, to Icicle Inn... On PSX, it was just a new picture to be drawn. On PS4? That means building and rendering a ton of new models and geometry.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^ That depends on if every location makes it into the final product. The game is a remake after all and it's possible they may knock out places irrelevant to the whole game like Kalm or the Mythril Mines. There is also a possibility they could drop an over-world map and have each Chapter stick to a few locations with quick travel between to maintain detail and save on cost and time. If you can play through Chapters seamlessly once they are all finished, I don't see this as too much of a problem. Frankly the pacing of the game could use some improvement anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    ^ That depends on if every location makes it into the final product. The game is a remake after all and it's possible they may knock out places irrelevant to the whole game like Kalm or the Mythril Mines. There is also a possibility they could drop an over-world map and have each Chapter stick to a few locations with quick travel between to maintain detail and save on cost and time. If you can play through Chapters seamlessly once they are all finished, I don't see this as too much of a problem. Frankly the pacing of the game could use some improvement anyway.
    That is why I said "if".

FFXIV Character

Bartholomew Drizzle (Exodus)

At first, I thought it was a joke, then a misunderstanding, but now that I know it's real, I'm wondering just what they're planning that this seems like the most practical way to go about it. I trust Square, so I'm going to assume the only mistake is calling it "Episodes", although it might not be wholly inaccurate, maybe a hint at a bigger length, say, something like "Volumes" would have been better recieved, (Heck, I'd call it "Digital Disks" or something along those lines) Now...from what I'm hearing, this isn't going into a short, linear narrative, nay, if it's more accurate to say that the team doesn't want to limit itself, and the game is planned to be so amazingly huge in content and scale that a single disk, even a single release, couldn't possibly contain it then holy crap, this -might- just end up being -the- greatest remake ever made.
    Last edited by YoshioKST; 12-07-2015 at 09:35 AM.

I think my biggest concern here is the way they sell it. This is Square Enix after all, there was always going to be some kind of catch. If it's just a staggered release schedule... well, I can live with it. However, if they start saying "Oh you buy each episode separately" I am going to be upset.

Not just for the hit to my wallet, but for the fact that FFVII is a huge single RPG. It has lots of interconnected systems. You gain experience, you customise characters, your decisions affect the outcome of quests hours and hours down the road. If the episodes are 'stand alone' you're going to lose a lot of that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, I think they're doing this to avert the FFXV-like development period. Because waiting ten years while being fed little increments of the game along the way is easier?