Thread: Critique a movie you like

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Critique a movie you like

We all have movies we hate, dislike, or are indifferent towards, and as such it's easier to give a negative critique of these movies. But what about films you consider to be your favorites? Something you love?

I thought it'd be a fun exercise to look at movies we adore and find faults in them. Just to show that a criticism doesn't automatically equate to 'bashing' and that nothing is perfect, and just because we acknowledge the flaws in these movies doesn't mean we can't still enjoy them. I'll start.

Let's see, my favorite movie of all time is The NeverEnding Story. Well, the Gmork fight scene was terrible for all the buildup that scene had. He goes out like a bitch and it's obvious he's a puppet or whatever. The dubbing isn't always the greatest, particularly at the end with the 'Moonchild' scene, and the lip sync at times can be pretty off-putting. There are some obvious green screen effects too, but I'm fairly sure that's due to being made in 1984.

That wasn't so hard. Your turn.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

In ET the mother gets mad that Elliot's older brother and his friends ordered their own pizza. The movie makes it look like it is their own money since you see all of them chip in their crappy, crumpled bills.

So Elliot gets scared of ET and accidentally smashes the pizza on the way in the house to tell his mom, brother, and his brother's friends about the weird creature he saw. They all go outside to investigate and one of the brother's friends gives Elliot a hard time for destroying the pizza on accident.

Elliot's mother says, "A pizza! Who said you guys could order a pizza?!"

Since this movie came out literally a month or two after the day I was born, I saw this movie very young as a very small child. In my child's mind I assumed that ordering something was an adult responsibility as I saw my own parents do that a couple of times growing up.

When I watched it years later as a teen it hit me how seriously odd it was that the mother gets mad at them for ordering a pizza. They paid for it. What is the big deal! She seriously reacts as if they tried to sneak in some beer or something. Even weirdly strict parents in real life wouldn't have a problem with this as long as the kids didn't use the parent's money. If anything a parent would be happy to see that the kids took responsibility and funded their own meal!

I get irrationally upset at this scene when I watch this movie as a result.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Titanic is one of my all-time favorite movies (as a lot of people know) but I recognize it's really campy and bad.

Some scenes are beautiful and heartbreaking. Scenes where people are drowning and struggling are terrifying. The production value is amazing.

But some of the dialogue is just soooooo bad. Or very self-congratulatory. "What's his name?" "Something Picasso." "Something Picasso! He'll never amount to a thing."

Also it's insta-love which is kind of gaggy, but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Pacific Rim has bad dialogue, the characters are kind of flat, and the acting isn't the best.

BUT DAMNIT, those robot vs monster fights are the best!