Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What we know about the Final Fantasy VII Remake

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

One thing we know about the game that hasn't been mentioned yet, i think.

It's running on Unreal Engine 4, instead of that engine they just made for FF15. This is why their development cycles take forever. They make huge complex engines and use them for one single game then move on to spend forever on making yet another engine that will be used for just one game.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

As far as the battle system goes, being able to switch on the fly to other party members is good, but I hope we'll be able to set AI for the ones we are not controlling. And I don't mean XIII's poor paradigms, but a return of XII's gambits, if nothing else. Preferably with even more gambit options for an even higher degree of customizing the AI.

Not sure how the fight against Safer Sephirot would work in an action-based battle system, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post

Not sure how the fight against Safer Sephirot would work in an action-based battle system, though.
    I wonder if we'll be able to fly around, Dissidia style?

That is technically canon within FFVII itself, all the characters zipped around Sephiroth before the 'Birth of a God' fight started.

As far as the battle system goes, being able to switch on the fly to other party members is good, but I hope we'll be able to set AI for the ones we are not controlling. And I don't mean XIII's poor paradigms, but a return of XII's gambits, if nothing else. Preferably with even more gambit options for an even higher degree of customizing the AI.

Funny. I remember this awesome game where I had full control over all my party members, and could direct them to attack whichever targets I wanted or heal me when I needed freely.

What was it called again..?

Oh, that's right!

Final Fantasy VII

The purple heaven manifest of the lifestream could consist of multiple layers that people can fight on, similiar to how the FFVI heroes levitated one layer up and up and up to fight Kefka. Sephiroth could fly around with the heroes for example being able to jump around on rocks. Same goes for Rebirth Sephiroth with the exception of him being stationary. Well, Sepher Sephiroth could also be mostly stationary.

The WEAPON battles could be some of the greatest battles in the game. Fighting gigantic bionic creatures, greater than shown in the original (probably still not as great as shown in the story) and jumping up to them. destroying several parts of their bodies and stuff.

The Weapon fights could be half-battle, half Shadow-of-the-Colossus style climbing puzzles.

Hold me I would die of joy xD

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The Weapon fights could be half-battle, half Shadow-of-the-Colossus style climbing puzzles.

Hold me I would die of joy xD
    That is pretty much what it would end up like probably. Not really climbing around the same style, but attacking several parts on several levels.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Funny. I remember this awesome game where I had full control over all my party members, and could direct them to attack whichever targets I wanted or heal me when I needed freely.

What was it called again..?

Oh, that's right!

Final Fantasy VII
    Don't have to tell me, I would have preferred just classic ATB over another action-RPG title. But now that we're stuck with it, being able to freely control each of your three party members on the fly is at least something. It, sadly, could have been worse.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this really is an action RPG, they've already lost me. I don't really want to play a FF game that is not turn based.

And no, I'm not a grumpy old grandpa. I'm just grumpy.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    If this really is an action RPG, they've already lost me. I don't really want to play a FF game that is not turn based.
    That's a shame. Aerith will be disappointed in you, Sir "Knight".
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    That's a shame. Aerith will be disappointed in you, Sir "Knight".
    Dang it, stop pressuring me! I just don't have the faith in action RPG's anymore. It all went downhill after KH2, and the battle system was the weakest part of that game.

In action RPG's, there is no strategy, it's a whack-a-mole simulator with some combo's. At least, most of the time.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

With high enough levels, no RPG needs strategy.

It's been quite a while since I played an action RPG where a good strategy didn't greatly increase my chances of success.

Of course, an action RPG allows you to replace some stratey with good timing and reflexes. But then again, knowing exactly when to execute a skill or attack kind of goes back to the strategy part of it.

And I also think it's easy to give the original FFVII more credit than it deserves on the tactical front just because it was turn based. There's a reason the 'Attack' command was at the top of the list and not in a menu somewhere - because it's what you would use 80% of the time. And of course in FFVII your MP didn't regenerate over time, and Ethers weren't anywhere near as plentiful as potions, so you were encouraged to be somewhat frugal with spending it.

So with battles heavily utilising the 'Attack' command, a lot of the depth of FFVII came from building your stats and your gear to best take advantage of that. That side of things is unlikely to be affected by a transition to an action RPG

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah FFVII was not super strategic. I just prefer the flow of turn-based combat, but there was nothing about FFVII that was any more strategic than Secret of Mana or Kingdom Hearts. It was a fairly easy RPG as they go. Attack/Limit Break most of the time, and pepper in some magic for enemies that resist physical or come in large groups.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yeah, basically just build your characters for a single type of attack, then spam that attack and heal/buff as necessary. Unless you're playing a challenge of some sort (like low level), that gets you through almost all battles.